Intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I currently use chatterbox but am looking for something more reliable. The chatterbox works well when it works but has reliability issues. I will spend more for a better unit Just want to buy the right one.

I upgraded from a Chatterbox to a Starcom unit. Neither is the answer. While the Starcom works well solo, when riding two-up it has proven difficult to manage the wind noise through the microphones. This may not be a problem with some helmets but with the Schuberth Concept One and the Shoie X11 "on line" I have issues at speeds above 65 mph. I am trying some extra foam around the mics this weeked and I will let you know if that solves the probelms.

MCML,

The StarCom1 was my last attempt at an intercom before I broke down and bought a Softline. The StarCom's VOX was a disaster and , at one point, almost ruptured my ears when it started to squeal due to my wife disconnecting her headset.

The Softline's MANR <_< noise abatement is second to none and the VOX works extremely well.

dobias <_<

I bought an Autocom and it works great vox is adjustable. They guarantee it to work up to 120mph with no sound quality problems. :clap:

I bought the Autocomm Pro 7, Set up for intercomm with wife, music from a portable CD player and cell phone hook up. Works great, had to adjust the vox a couple times at first to get it set. then leave it alone. Hopefully get set up for Bike to Bike when my buddy gets his system. Voice is crystal clear, music mutes about 40% while on intercomm, cuts right out while using cellphone.

What is everyone's experience with the Baehr and AudioBoss systems. Good or bad? Thanks.

--G

BTW - Just did a search and found Randy's write up on the AudioBoss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a dissenting viewpoint on the Starcom. I bought it just before our 2500 mile trip to Colorado and back and it never broke, squealed or got too noisy. Was completely audible (loud and clear) at 135 mph and every other speed. We used it just for Intercom and we had the iPod hooked in, I set the vox to actuate only when I got a little loud to begin with...otherwise we could just talk with music on.

I have a Scuberth helmet and went and got a Scorpion when I looked at what I would have to do to the Schuberth to get teh speakers in there...I felt I would have to cut into padding and I didn't want to do that. Now my Schuberth is my 3rd line helmet after my Scorpion EXO

HJC Flip

So...no account for taste...I may just like cheap things better...kinda like my FJR instead of a R1200RT ;-)

Starcom1 here, works fine at any speed. I have vox turned all the way "off", so it never cuts out the music. We just talk over the music, or I'll hit pause or something on the ipod. I found the vox way too much trouble to set correctly and it keeps the audio off for too long after we finish (IMO). Maybe that's a fault of the starcom, I guess, but it seems to work fine with the vox not being used.

Starcom1 here, works fine at any speed. I have vox turned all the way "off", so it never cuts out the music. We just talk over the music, or I'll hit pause or something on the ipod. I found the vox way too much trouble to set correctly and it keeps the audio off for too long after we finish (IMO). Maybe that's a fault of the starcom, I guess, but it seems to work fine with the vox not being used.
As a radio operator in the USAF, I was assigned the task of selecting the VOX unit for a communications upgrade project that I was brought onto as a subject matter expert. I tested VOX units from all sorts of US companies, a Canadian company and an English company. It always amazes me how the English often seem to have the best electronics. If you doubt this, try listening to a pair of Quad ESL 63 loudspeakers.

Anyway, VOX is something that can take some time to get the hang of. The delay circuit in the Starcom is preset and higher end VOX applications have a time delay adjustment. The difficulty is to allow for the common pause mid sentence (which I am terribly well known for) while not taking so long to "unkey" that you miss what another person is saying.

Well, in this application, you aren't muting receive while transmitting so the longer pause isn't so much a big deal unless you say "I love this guitar jam" and miss some of it because you spoke ;-)

Anyway...the preset on the Starcom Vox is about 1.8 seconds longer than I'd like it to be and I'd like for them to provide a control for it. However, I do use the vox just in case I need to talk during a loud part of a song. That's why I set it so that I have to bark my first word to get it to activate...otherwise, at normal tones we just talk through the music.

The chatterbox works well when it works but has reliability issues
If you are using the basic Chatterbox unit with the VOX I suggest trying the push-to-talk switch instead. I thought it made a world of difference. Best of luck.

Anyone know if the Softline allows for use of earbuds? Ever since i've gotten my Etyomics..sp? I don't think I can do without em but I still want to find a Bike-Pillon/bike-bike system that will allow for a cell and aux audio w/earbuds.. and so far the only one i've heard of is the Autocom.

Autocom Active-7-Smart. Installed in my tank bag with all electronics wired and only BMW style plug that plugs into my powerlet. I have rider/passenger, bike to bike, 8500x50, and XM radio wired in. Easy to simply unplug the power connection and take the tank bag with my $1000+ worth of equipment in with me or stash it in a side case or top box. No problems here.

LGizmo,

There's a guy that makes a headset adaptor that accepts earbuds. It's a DIN male to female, that has a mini stereo jack spliced between them. You can use just the headset speakers or plug in your earbuds into the mini jack.

I know that Softline has customized a headset for a customer that removed the headset speakers and added a mini jack for the earbuds. I think I'd prefer the adaptor, instead. As luck would have it, I can't locate the guy's name.

Maybe "Speed" (his real name) has it. He's out of town, but keeps up with his email : [email protected].

Speed Collingsworth

Softline Distributor

800-381-8874

www.Motorcycle-Intercoms.com

or

www.Softline-online.com

dobias <_<