Post WFO riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Currently Kathy and I are on a whirlwind road trip. -so far:

NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, Alberta Canada,

currently in Helena MT ......and we'll be going through Utah on our way back to Reno.

Will get home just-in-time to pack, spoon on some tires and head back to Utah for WFO. Hope to leave Reno on Tuesday and plan to put a dizzy fun route for a Wednesday PC arrival. Then some good silliness, a much anticipated Utah BBG and then more silliness.

After WFO I'll have some riding time and am thinking of molesting Colorado for a few days

- Any CO route suggestion?

- Anyone thinking the same? and/or want to help me violate those Colorado roads?

thanks for any thoughts on Colorado riding advice .....renojohn

It is hard to find any "bad road" in Colorado as you are probably aware . My favorite , and I have ridden it several times, is Hwy 550 from Durango to Ouray. Silverton is a fun place to stay over but they roll up the sidewalks at about 9 PM so stop early if you want to find a pub and resturant. Another fun road is Hwy 65 from Delta to Int. 70. and one more, Hwy 14 from Walden to Ft. Collins.

Enjoy

Mac

I am actually plotting my ride routes now. I have a four or five day route planned depending on how you look at it.

Day 1: Leave WFO and head towards Boulder via Hwy 6 to I-70 (I'm told I can't miss I-70??)

Day 2: I'm going to go up into Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, then south on Hwy 9 through Leadville (the highest city in the US) on Hwy 91 and continue on Hwy 24 then west on Hwy 50 through Curecanti National Park back up to Grand Junction.

Day 3: South on 50 to 550 down to Durango as mentioned above, cutting over through Cortez to Hwy 160 to Four Corners, then up Hwy 191 through Moab and back to Grand Junction.

Day 4: Loop back through Moab and cruise through Glen Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks then start towards home and end up in either Salt Lake or Twin Falls.

Day 5: Back home to Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
okmac

thanks for the great advice .....much appreciated.

Ponyfool

hmm, sounds like you've put some thought into it .....I'll do the same and perhaps we can compare notes beforehand ....maybe even pair up for some of the fun. Thanks ...feel free to contact me off-line if you wish fromforum06 @ goraiders.org

renojohn

If you want a hunded miles of twisties, sweepers, scenery, and no traffic to speak of, do Route 14 from LaPorte (above Fort Collins) to Walden, CO. Too bad there is no easy way to get from there to Rocky Mountain National park unless you then go down 125 (from Walden) & catch 34 to go into the park from the West...

Here is my first draft ...please coach me guys ....besides base route improvements, ...towns to stay?, sites to see?? etc. etc etc

thanks much and please don't be shy get me off boring roads and/or point me to better roads.

Draft 01 of my first Colorado experience:

CO_draft01.gif

Hwy 149 from Gunnison (Blue Mesa Resevoir) to Lake City is one of the best routes in Colorado! From Lake City continue on to Creede (also amazing, where you can see the mountain where the Rio Grande river starts), then you can head to Durango or the Telluride area.

We did this trip about a month ago and you would not regret it.

I would say you have it just about right, all are great highways. A couple of suggestions, I would take hwy 64 when entering Colorado and then 13 to Craig. It is a little longer but a lot nicer ride, 40 is just high and dry. Then if you have the time when you hit Int. 70 go east just a little ways and pick up hwy 103 to ride up Mt. Evens. Fantastic ride if you are not afraid of heights. If you do it I would plan on staying overnight in Idaho Springs and then make the ride in the morning. By after noon the winds pick up and possible showers. I have been up it twice and would go again. There is a lodge about 3/4 of the way up , nice place for coffee.

Leadville is a great place to stay, a lot of history there. There is a motel 8 there if you want to call ahead.

Other than that I would not change a thing , you have the best of roads.

Enjoy

Mac

Thanks much!!!!

Revised route

- Now includes hwy 64 to 13 (via Meeker) ..gets me off of flat I-40 (#4 & #5)

- Now has excursion to Mount Evans (highest auto road in the world!) (#11)

- added loop around Gunnison Gorge -Through Black Canyon of Gunnison (#14-#18)

- Revised lower end Now includes hwy149 (to 160) and then I'll head north up 550 to

Ridgeway and then south down 62/145 to Cortez (#19-#27)

Feel like this is getting close and going to be a great experience. thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks!!

Revised Draft # two

CO_draft02.gif

Wow, you have added some great rides, hope you have the time. I agree with the addition of 149 and 160 , super roads. Be sure and plan a stop at the overlook just past Wolf Creek Pass headed for Pagosa Springs. It is picture opportunity.

Regards

Mac

Hwy 149 from Gunnison (Blue Mesa Resevoir) to Lake City is one of the best routes in Colorado! From Lake City continue on to Creede (also amazing, where you can see the mountain where the Rio Grande river starts), then you can head to Durango or the Telluride area.
Gunny! This is one of the best rides in the area when you factor in scenery, traffic, and quality of the road surface. There is no contruction at the moment either. :yahoo:

If you run short on time, I would recomend just doing an out-and-back on the North Rim of the Black Canyon. The Delta and Montrose part of that loop isn't anything great IMO.

If you end up with extra time, I would highly recomend and out-and back down SR 114 from US 50 to Saguache (pronounced like sawach). This is one of the best kept secrets in the state for motorcycle roads. The pavement is top notch, the twisties and sweepers are unmatched locally, the scenery is expansive and wide open, and the traffic... well, there isn't any.

Let me know if you're planning on stopping in Gunnison. :D

............tuncated.........If you end up with extra time, I would highly recomend and out-and back down SR 114 from US 50 to Saguache (pronounced like sawach). This is one of the best kept secrets in the state for motorcycle roads. The pavement is top notch, the twisties and sweepers are unmatched locally, the scenery is expansive and wide open, and the traffic... well, there isn't any.

Let me know if you're planning on stopping in Gunnison. :D
Sent you a PM ....perhaps we can talk live. thanks for the great advice

So how long of a trip do you plan on this being? I'm interested in a ride like that. Thanks.
Not sure, guessing leave Park City on Sunday and loiter, exploit, voilate and abuse colorado until Thursday'ish before heading some long way home ...likely via Vegas so about 4 or 5 days in CO I'm *Guessing*

Currently Kathy and I are on a whirlwind road trip. -so far:NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, Alberta Canada,

currently in Helena MT ......and we'll be going through Utah on our way back to Reno.

Will get home just-in-time to pack, spoon on some tires and head back to Utah for WFO. Hope to leave Reno on Tuesday and plan to put a dizzy fun route for a Wednesday PC arrival. Then some good silliness, a much anticipated Utah BBG and then more silliness.

After WFO I'll have some riding time and am thinking of molesting Colorado for a few days

- Anyone thinking the same? and/or want to help me violate those Colorado roads?

Hi Troops,

I'll be riding to/from Boulder Colorado via some nice routes:

I've lived in Colorado all of my life and I'm pretty familiar with the north 1/2 of the state. If you have any specific questions, let me know. Coming to WFO, I will spent the first night in Meeker Colorado, avoid I-70 like a plague, use US 40 off and on, cross the continental divide at Berthoud Pass to and Cameron Pass from. RMNP is very beautiful and if you have the time you must see it. Be advised that traffic will move at 25-40 mph in the day, making for a long crossing to/from Grand Lake, and road construction in the Park during the week can have delays of up to an hour. Call the NPS for details. The route Laporte-Walden via US 14 is some really good riding. Pretty open twistie with passing lanes. Mid morning to afternoon, on the stretch for several miles upstream on Laporte lots of rafting companies and associated vehicles. Caution of side-of-road traffic and stupid peds stepping out into traffic in front of you. Go real early or later to avoid the rafting crazieness. It really can be dangerous. Everyone excited about rafting causes people to do stupid things.

(ps- Never raft the Poudre River=very dangerous and not too fun.)

From Laporte to Boulder, Stay on Overland Trail headed south to Loveland there you can catch: 1. US 287 to Longmont, then 119 to Boulder. There is a beautiful shortcut via Horsetooth Reservoir, Masonville(turn left at the Masonville Store) to US 34 and US 287, but be advised of a bridge construction project that can be a bit sketchy as far as the temp road. Otherwise, peaceful riding. Avoid going into Ft. Collins. Way too much traffic. Use Overland Trail Road to sneak past on the west side of town.

2. From Loveland to RMNP, take US 34. The Masonville shortcut takes you to US 34, ending at it. Turn right to RMNP.

I'll be riding back on Sunday at a leisurely pace with an overnight somewhere near Grandby after a soak at the Hot Sulfur Springs on US 40. Next day, Monday, I'll be going the Cottonwood Pass, Walden, Cameron Pass, Laporte, Masonville, Loveland Longmont route to Boulder.

Feel free to call me with questions or to hook up for the return trip.

Jeff

720-934-7734 call anytime

Currently Kathy and I are on a whirlwind road trip. -so far:NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, Alberta Canada,

Darn, I meant to post that reply to the thread. Can you do a cut and paste and post it for me?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Troops,

I am traveling to/from Boulder, Co to attend WFO. My route and plans change by the hour, but generally, I'll be taking some interesting back roads to avoid the heavily traveled (and patroled) US 40.

I will be returning to Boulder early Sunday morning on the same route more or less, but I will do an overnight near Grand Lake on Sunday night so that I can soak in the hot springs near there that evening.

I'm a local familiar with roads and routes in the northern half of the state. Lots of good local advice to find shortcuts, bypass cities, nice rides, RMNP, etc...

talk to me at WFO, or if you have a question now, feel free to call any time.

Jeff B.

720-934-7734