Music And Comm Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Ok I would like to implement a Communication system on my bike, and I want to have an Ipod hooked into it...

what system do you guys say is the best starcomm, autocom, others?

I would like to have rider to rider, and bike to bike, but want to incorporate an Ipod Nano with power as well...

do you use the helmet speakers, or do you use earplugs?

I will also be getting a Garmin 2720, can that be put in for sound?

I want to do it right the first time with no screwing around...

So I ask you guys the Pro's... Help me out...

Warp

I look forward to your review.. I haven't heard of them... and welcome new info for their products....

Thanks

Warp

I have a J&M 2003 with the optional Cell Phone/GPS/Radar Audio Integration Terminal . I have my GPS, Radar Detector, Cell Phone and XM radio all linked through it.

IMG_1239.jpg

I have an autocom on my FJR and a mixit2 on my beemerK12S. Both work well. My biggest frustration is that I'd like an XM radio that has an integrated MP3 player. I can't find one! It only seems logical to combine your own favorites from an MP3 with XM broadcasts. I don't want to record XM, I want to hear my owm picks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Starcom for intercom and Ipod. I am happy with it.Someone on this forum (TWN?) owned a Starcom, wasn't happy with it and went to Sofline. Will that person stand up and tell us why?

I am happy with Starcom, and they seem to have the right gadgets for me like bulkhead connectors etc.

Starcom USA price list

joyfulgirl,

I'm the culprit that had the StarCom1. I hated it! the bukhead connectors you seem to be enamored with are part of a printed circuit board (read that as CHEAP)

and don't stay connected as well as cable terminated connectors. Nor are they able to be worked on to snug the connections. Rubber bands or duct tape wasn't enough to secure them from intermittent operation.

I have no use for their VOX. It was impossible to set up. We had to raise our voices to "turn on" the VOX over the background noise. I gave up when my wife dismounted and disconnected by the side of the road in traffic. A terrible loud screaming sound filled my head until I could find a safe place to pull over and disconnect my helmet. The VOX would change from the start of the ride and the only time we could communicate was at stop signs or stop lights. The wind noise was always intolerable and seemed to actually be amplified. Their connections are of the cheap computer type, the 6 pin DIN style couldn't be connected by my wife without bending the pins. She soon gave up and made me connect it for her.

I bit the bullet and purchased a Softline. I haven't been sorry with any part of the operation. Their background noise elimination system works well as does the VOX.

The cables and connections are of military grade. I'm very happy with it. The old adage is true, you get what you pay for.

Since you're happy with StarCom you can disregard my opinions.

dobias <_<

So these are all communication systems that will not only talk passenger to driver, but will also talk to another bike? or how do they lay that scenario up?

I am new to this comm stuff so please enlighten me... :)

Hey, Rogue! Is there a bike under there??? :D (J/K ;) )

I'm just dying for them to do a STEREO BlueTooth headset. My IPAQ will handle just about everything with that. Meanwhile, I have a B/T helmet headset --only one ear, though. The IPAQ is a phone, MP3 player, GPS (with a B/T GPS receiver you can mount a ways away). Plus, it connects to the Internet, has eMail, and can even play movies ripped from DVDs in widescreen mode! You can get 6-8 movies on a single gig SD chip.

Hey Rogue, I'm gonna have to agree with gtex, way too busy. I say that because I am really jealous......... :D If I had all that gadgetry, I'd be showing it off too. Sweeeeeeet!

AUTOCOMigoforit
And I wouldn't p!$$ on AutoCom if they were on fire! I had the top of the line unit, $650 invested in it--and I was happy to get $450 for it on eBay. They swore up and down it would work with my cell-phone, a TimePort customized by Mercedes to work with their sound system. It didn't so they told me to get another cell phone. If you get a phone call, after you hang up, (if it even works), it takes a full 30 seconds for the sound to come back on. The ONLY position where I could hear the "ear-speaker" was actually touching it and excruciatingly painful. Otherwise, I wasn't in the "sweet-spot"--but they don't have a simple volume control to compensate. Plus the damn thing is big and bulky, the wires are thick and it looks like a fuggin octopus. Oh, and you MUST use their headsets or the mikes won't work--that's another 200 clams that I did NOT fork over.

Their attitude stinks--they designed the absolute perfect system and anything wrong is due to your inadequacies as an individual (yes, we know that's true generally about me, but not when I'm the CUSTOMER!). They don't need my $$$ and they'll never get it again.

They have the arrogance of J&M, without the courtesy that at least J&M have while charging you 3 times what the stuff is worth.

Good info on mixers. I'll add a couple of words about speakers.

With respect to output devices: I use a custom in-ear-monitor (IEM) to listen to my iPod. There are also universal fit IEMs. IEMs are sound isolating and have an advantage of over in-helmet speakers with respect to isolation from road noise. The effect is similar to wearing good earplugs -- you can still hear everything, but it's at a comfortable volume level. Then you select source volume that is comfortable and makes ambient noise disappear to whatever degree you want.

The downside of IEMs (or any other type of separately worn speakers) is the extra time to gear up. You need to insert the IEMs before putting your helmet on.

I use Sensaphonics Prophonic 2X-S IEMs and I like them very much. Other custom IEMs include Ultimate Ears and Westone. These are pretty expensive -- they start at about $700. But they are literally audiophile quality.

I have previously used universal fit IEMs -- specifically Etymotic ER-6i. These are available from the Apple store. Shure also has a well-respected line of universal fit IEMs. The thing to think about is how well these will fit under your helmet. I found the ER-6i to be acceptable, but only just so. Shures have more equipment hanging out of your ears so I'd be concerned about them.

Universal-fit IEMs have a big range of prices. Low end Sonys sell for less than $50. Ety ER 6is sell for about $120 (I think). Higher end Ety and Shure IEMs run as high as $500.

$0.02 worth there.