Dumb question about engine idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
My 06 FJR used to idle at roughly 1100. Now it is roughly 1000. I know that normal idle speed should be between 1000 and 1100. Now as we all know, I am no mechanical genius, but..... Why would it drop like that all on it's own? On a fuel injected bike, how do you adust the idle speed. Why do I care? Because I feel that the throttle response was better when it was idling at 1100.

Thank you my friends, I await your most knowledgeable input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot answer your question about idle speed dropping but the adjustment knob is on the right side in the gap between the faring about half way down.

Mac

Mogambo, it appears that idle speed on Gen IIs (like your '06) is more critical to engine management operation than on Gen Is. You're probably correct in feeling a difference in throttle response? It appears that '07s may be even more susceptible to 'different' running due to idle speed setting.

The systems for idle speed adjustment are different, I'm told, between Gen I & Gen II -- even tho the knob & location are similar.

Sharper minds may be along soon to illuminate this topic more -- hopefully? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thats a dumb question. Now what were we talking about? :rolleyes:

Have you done a TBS?you may have mis adjusted during the process or if you have not done a TBS you may need to.

What, ya lookin' ta take my title fencer? :p Gotta admit you cut right to the chase on that one. ;)

Come on you Gen II guys! help em out :dribble: Slackers!

:jester:

Wait till it lowers to 900...then it will die on idle on it's own until the temp reaches normal operating.

Crank it back up to 1100 by turning the knob and everything will be back to normal.

Mine reduced idle from 1100 to 900 over a 4 month, 2500 mile period and would not run at ilde until it completely warmed up.

Have you done a TBS?you may have mis adjusted during the process or if you have not done a TBS you may need to.

O.K. Remember the "I'm not a mechanical genius" part. I change oil, do coolant flushes just fine. In regard to the TBS, I had requested that this be done by the dealer about 1500-1600 miles ago. Now........about the ""turning the knob" part. I had an FZ1. Yep, that idle adjustment knob was right there. Helen Keller could have found it. I looked at the area where I was told to look on the FJR and found myself scratching the top of my head, not unlike KoKo the monkey. Ummmmm...what's that sucker look like on the FJR?

O.K. Remember the "I'm not a mechanical genius" part. I change oil, do coolant flushes just fine. In regard to the TBS, I had requested that this be done by the dealer about 1500-1600 miles ago. Now........about the ""turning the knob" part. I had an FZ1. Yep, that idle adjustment knob was right there. Helen Keller could have found it. I looked at the area where I was told to look on the FJR and found myself scratching the top of my head, not unlike KoKo the monkey. Ummmmm...what's that sucker look like on the FJR?
Get down on your knees on the right side of the bike

With a flashlight,

Look up under the fairing, beside the engine, and you will see the knurled knob

to turn.

Clockwise will increase idle speed.

Wassup? Nobody got pics? Guess that little knob ain't sumpin ya usually waste megapixels on. On my 05 the knurled knob is pretty obvious, its brass colored. I can even reach under there from the saddle at a stop light and make a quick adjustment, as long as I haven't eaten for a while.

My idle speed will change slightly on occasion depending on engine temp. I go with the reading that I get after some highway riding. The TBS (throttle body sync) will also affect idle speed. I keep it nearer 1000 rpm and haven't had any problems at around 900 except that takeoffs aren't quite as smooth. 900 puts out less heat in traffic than 1100.

Thanks boys, got it. Actually after doing a little more diligent reading in the shop manual (page 3-10). Still had a little trouble getting to that sucker. As a matter of fact it slid out of that little bracket that it was in a dissappeared. Had to loosen the fairing to pull it back out and put it back into the bracket. It took more turning to get an actual idle reaction than the FZ1 did.

Concur that take-off's weren't as smooth at 900 rpm's as 1000. Of course (and you guy's are probably sick of hearing about it) but maybe a little too much time on the Wing as of late. Take off's on that thing are so smooth it's ridiculous, Different animals though. Anyway, all seems better while reving in the garage. When the so,o get's home, I'll take it for a spin around the block to make sure.

Thanks for the responses.

The question does remain, why did it lower by itself in the first place?

My FJR idles at ~1100 when barely warmed up. It idles at ~1300 when red hot. I don't think about it much.

If your bike's idle changed on you, then maybe there's another influence. Are you at a different altitude? Have you changed gasoline or oil viscosity recently? Are you running cheap gas that doesn't have the best additives and maybe it's slowly clogging your injectors? Does your engine need an oil change?

Buy the best gas you can find. Run some fuel system and injector cleaner through it.

Then, check your idle speed. If necessary, set it higher. Then see if it changes again. If it does, maybe consult a dealer's service department.

IRBR

How many miles are on this bike? Is it perhaps time for new plugs?

Settling of the idle speed on a new bike is very normal. As the mechanics of the throttle mechanism seat, or settle against the various stop screws, the idle tends to substantially drop. It also depends on how often you slam the throttle forward during braking. Since the throttle cable is push-pull, forcing the throttle closed quickly will increase the wear at the various contact points and reduce the idle setting.

Chances are that once you get about 10,000 miles on the bike and keep the idle speed adjusted to 1,100, the changes will become smaller over time.

Unless you let me ride your bike. I'm very hard on the throttle in both directions.

:)