Colorado and Utah for 6 days

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinhead

Reaction score
Last week, my wife (Kyndall) and I headed over to Southern Utah for a little vacation. I'm not usually very good at taking a lot of pictures on my trips, much less posting them on the internet, but this was a special occasion since it was Kyndall’s first multi-day trip on her own bike. She’s only been riding for a year but she handled everything like a seasoned rider.

We left Gunnison early Sunday morning and couldn’t get out of Colorado fast enough. I know it's all relative and most of you will think it's absurd, but compared to Southern Utah, Colorado is crowded and over-developed. It always feels good to get past Blanding, UT and turn west on highway 95.

We camped the first night at Natural Bridges National Monument.

natural_bridges1.jpg

On day 2, we headed through Hite,

hite1.jpg

over the Colorado River,

colorado_river1.jpg

to Hanksville, then over highway 24 and 12 to Boulder, UT

grand_staircase.jpg

and the Burr Trail, where we were lucky enough to get our usual site at Deer Creek campground.

deer_creek1.jpg

We camped at Deer Creek for 2 nights which allowed us to run over to Bryce Canyon for a day without all of our gear. The bikes are always so much more fun when they’re unloaded.

Breakfast at Kiva Koffee House overlooking the Escalante River Canyon:

kiva_koffee.jpg

muscles.jpg

The Hog Back on highway 12:

hwy12_2.jpg

Near the entrance to Bryce:

bryce1.jpg

Acting like tourists in the park:

bryce2.jpg

bryce3.jpg

Kyndall screwing around at Ruby’s Inn:

rubys_inn1.jpg

The next morning we packed up and left Deer Creek,

deer_creek2.jpg

drove over Boulder Mountain again

hwy12_1.jpg

and back to Torrey where we decided to stay in a hotel

torrey3.jpg

torrey2.jpg

torrey1.jpg

and hang out in Capitol Reef for the afternoon.

capitol_reef1.jpg

capitol_reef2.jpg

The locals in the Fruita orchards (inside the park) can be quite pushy.

capitol_reef3.jpg

The next day we decided we would start making our way south and east via highway 261 and the Moki Dugway – 3 or 4 miles of gravel road and switchbacks with incredible views into the Valley of the Gods. We stopped on this switchback to take in the view and peruse this Native Woman’s beautiful jewelry – for sale, of course.

moki_dugway.jpg

We stopped in Bluff for gas at this funky little place, but 96 degrees was just too much for these mountain people and we couldn’t linger long.

bluff1.jpg

After staying the night in Cortez, we decided to spend part of the next day in Mesa Verde

mesa_verde2.jpg

mesa_verde1.jpg

and then head to the big city of Durango. In Durango, Kyndall and I got to have our first date in quite a while (we have an 18-month old daughter at home) so we enjoyed dinner and a movie together. On Saturday, we bee-lined it home over Wolf Creek Pass,

wolf_crk_pass2.jpg

wolf_crk_pass1.jpg

through Pagosa Springs,

pagosa1.jpg

through Creede and over Spring Creek Pass,

spring_crk_pass.jpg

over Slumgullion Pass, through Lake City, and finally into Gunnison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride report!!!! Thank you for sharing.
Looks like the wife is having a good time.
Gunny! Looks like BOTH are having a good time. What a great place to ride. We rode Hwy 12 a couple of years ago, and stayed in Torrey. There are some amazing views in that area. We had so much fun that we're definitely going back there in the future.

Great choice of bikes too. I have a Ninja as well as my FJR and really like the bike.

Jill

Super nice! That view of Valley of the Gods looks as though some omniscient power created it! :lol:

I like the ST set up you have on that Kawi. Looks like a good set of bikes for the trip you took.

My wife grew up in Cortez. She isn't surprised you didn't post any pics of her hometown :lol:

My Nephew goes to school in Gunnison. I miss Colorado!

Super nice! That view of Valley of the Gods looks as though some omniscient power created it! :lol:
My wife's first "dual sport" experience on her fully loaded street bike :assassin:

I like the ST set up you have on that Kawi. Looks like a good set of bikes for the trip you took.
Bigger screen, lowered suspension, heated grips, lotsa soft bags, aftermarket gear indicator, Givi rack, yada yada yada...

She loves it now :good:

My wife grew up in Cortez. She isn't surprised you didn't post any pics of her hometown :lol:
There's absolutely nothin' wrong with Cortez, but it does seem to get bigger every time I go through :angry2:

My Nephew goes to school in Gunnison.
Western State? Kyndall and I both graduated from there. Will your Nephew be working with us at Crested Butte this ski season?

Nice ride report with pics.

Brings me back to when I was out there last year and riding a lot of the roads you mentioned.

I ache to go back to utah & colorado to ride.Oh well, maybe next year at nafo.

Thanks for sharing your trip.

Western State? Kyndall and I both graduated from there. Will your Nephew be working with us at Crested Butte this ski season?
Yep, Western State. You know, I don't know where he'll be this summer. If you run into a tall blond hippy kid named Adrian Knight, that's him. :) I think his bro Paul worked up there for a short spell last year.