After Reading The '06 Specs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch

Reaction score
Linked ABS brakes, optional no-clutch shifting?

Anyone besides me very happy they bought an '05?

They year of the "FJR Scooter has arrived!" :haha:

Whats next...reverse!!! 06fjr...goldwing...06fjr..goldwing. Hard to tell the difference... :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
For cryin out loud! WTF is wrong with Yamaha?!?!

Next thing you know, they will be chroming the wheels!

:D

Ahhh, you naysayers. Me thinks you will be in the very small minority in the not too distant future.

Relics! :haha:

I have ordered the FJR1300AE to go along with my GL1800/A.

If you have never written a GL1800/A (Goldwing), don't knock it. It handles real well for a 900 pound bike.

I have had several others laugh at the reverse too until they see me backing out of situations without even thinking about it (while they struggle to get their bikes out).

Best Regards,

Shane

Ahhh, you naysayers. Me thinks you will be in the very small minority in the not too distant future.
Relics! :haha:
I'm putting my money on SkooterG.

To all the folks bemoaning the new 1300AE, I quote Shakespeare:

"Methinks thou dost protest too much."

I wouldn't complain if they added a reverse, as long as it didn't add weight.

Also, after reading about the way the transmission shifts on the E model I think it is a good idea to add it as an option. Since it is really not a different gearbox, but an automated clutch and shift mechanism, it might be something the dealer could install. I wouldn't buy it but I can see why some would. I would like to see the ABS remain an option and either bundle the linked brakes with the ABS or option them separately.

I thik we'll see more bikes offer the auto shifter capability in the future.

...and reading the latest Cycle World comparo ("Grace, Pace & Race") and how the '05 compared, I'm glad I stretched my budget and bought it -title is in the drawer. Those who can afford the '06, more power to ya, but I won't be jealous...I'll be riding.

One of the CW writers called it "the secret love child of the Gold Wing and the 'Busa." :lol:

...and reading the latest Cycle World comparo ("Grace, Pace & Race") and how the '05 compared, I'm glad I stretched my budget and bought it -title is in the drawer. Those who can afford the '06, more power to ya, but I won't be jealous...I'll be riding.
One of the CW writers called it "the secret love child of the Gold Wing and the 'Busa." :lol:
The secret love child of the best touring bike EVER and the baddest sport bike EVER.

And this is a bad thing how?

Personally, I'm not too sure Yamaha marketing has done their homework here with this electric shift. Though no doubt they will sell a good number of them. Why they elected to go with our model bike to debut this technology upon, this baffles me. :blink:

The only thing that truly bugs me about the new model is the forced use of linked brakes. Many years ago, when I wasn't riding quite with the same style I use today, I thought linked brakes were pretty cool (or at least, unobtrusive). This may be because they were second generation Honda LBS system, and Honda had it refined pretty well. Hell, I have their LBS system on my Blackbird right now....

Still and all, if I have my druthers, I wouldn't be keen to have linked brakes. ABS, sure thing, but for LBS, there are just too many times when I encounter gravel roads going downhill where you only want to slightly trail-brake the rear caliper, or there are times where I need to tighten a line up mid-corner, etc. In these conditions, you'd best not be touching the front brake, and you no longer have this option with linked brakes.

All that having been said.... if the Yamaha LBS is easily defeatable without impacting the ABS system, then I view this as no big deal..... if this turns out to be the case, the touring masses who don't ride their FJR to its performance envelope can still have their linked brakes, and the rest of us can defeat the LBS package and ride the bike more assertatively if that's our desire.

One of the CW writers called it "the secret love child of the Gold Wing and the 'Busa."  :lol:
The secret love child of the best touring bike EVER and the baddest sport bike EVER.

And this is a bad thing how?
+1

Also, I know we won't know for sure until someone tries to disable the LBS, but didn't someone post that it appeared that it should be possible.

If the '05 calipers line up, it would be real easy to make the switch by changing the calipers. If not, as long as its mechanical and not electronic, then I would imagine it would just be a matter of redoing some plumbing.

The straight ABS model compares to the 2004 ABS model:

Weighs 29 lbs more

Has 1/10" less ground clearance

is 4.1" lower

is .4" longer

The seat is .5" lower (but is adjustable)

The width is .6" narrower.

The engine is the same, the suspension is the same, and the brake discs are the same.

I had LBS and hated it. Where was the demand that made Yamaha think owners wanted it? I love the ABS, though

What FJR owners have been asking for:

Improved air-flow (got it)

Adjustable seating and handlebars (got it)

built-in power outlet (got it)

Relocated fuse block to be practical (dead silence)

Improved shock--witness the Wilbers (dead silence)

ADEQUATE ALTERNATOR!!!! (more dead silence)

I think Yam was just following BMW instead of the owners--the new K1200S has ABS/LBS and a power outlet.

Heavier bike, but no more power. So it's slower. If BMW can get 145 RWHP out of the new K1200, how come Yamaha can only get 126 RWHP out of a 1300?

OTOH, the new FZ1 is much more of a hooligan bike. Much lighter, more over-square, FI--almost a gallon LESS gas in the tank. More agressive riding position.

I'm not really interested in EITHER of these 2006 "upgrades", but at least I UNDERSTAND why they changed the FZ1--I just don't like these changes.

Heavier bike, but no more power. So it's slower. If BMW can get 145 RWHP out of the new K1200, how come Yamaha can only get 126 RWHP out of a 1300?
Yanktar, minor correction. The K1200S produces 134 RWHP. August edition MCN. BMW is the biggest rear-wheel power robbers with their shaft drives. BMW shafts = minus 20 percent loss to rear and the Jap shafts = minus 15 percent. That said…I love the K1200S. Test drove one and it is a great bike especially the suspension; very well set up for touring. Price a little steep for what you get. Too bad the FJR didn’t get tweaked more towards the KS.

After digesting the FJR enhancements, I am not really happy with the so called updates. I am disappointed that the FJR is moving farther away from the sport-spectrum and closing in on the touring side. IMHO, the FJR is losing its edge and is becoming a little too soft for my tastes. Ultimately (for me), I would have been happy with the basics such as: 20 HP gain, more aggressive eros, suspension upgrade and a little less weight. That being said…it is great to see Yamaha thinking outside the box. Sadly, I feel they spent way too much money/time on R & D with the AE model. My instincts tell me the AE will be a flop. Time will tell. Oh…and the jokes we are going to have to endure now…is that the male/female version ya got there son? LOL. No offense ladies but these are comments currently stirring around the ST community. Our poor male egos. LOL. ;)

Yanktar, minor correction. The K1200S produces 134 RWHP. August edition MCN. BMW is the biggest rear-wheel power robbers with their shaft drives. BMW shafts = minus 20 percent loss to rear and the Jap shafts = minus 15 percent. That said…I love the K1200S. Test drove one and it is a great bike especially the suspension; very well set up for touring. Price a little steep for what you get. Too bad the FJR didn’t get tweaked more towards the KS.

After digesting the FJR enhancements, I am not really happy with the so called updates. I am disappointed that the FJR is moving farther away from the sport-spectrum and closing in on the touring side. IMHO, the FJR is losing its edge and is becoming a little too soft for my tastes. Ultimately (for me), I would have been happy with the basics such as: 20 HP gain, more aggressive eros, suspension upgrade and a little less weight. That being said…it is great to see Yamaha thinking outside the box. Sadly, I feel they spent way too much money/time on R & D with the AE model. My instincts tell me the AE will be a flop. Time will tell. Oh…and the jokes we are going to have to endure now…is that the male/female version ya got there son? LOL. No offense ladies but these are comments currently stirring around the ST community. Our poor male egos. LOL. ;)
Well, I could be mistaken but I thought that the K1200S (and certainly the K1200R) tested in the 140's on the dynos--appropriate for a crankshaft HP of 167.

I, too, test drove a K1200S and loved it! But I'd hate to be stuck on it in slow traffic--leaning too far forward. I also do NOT like the brakes (ABS/LBS) nearly as much as the FJR's ABS. Much too heavy and not as positive-feeling. Plus the clutch was heavy as hell.

Generally I'm in agreement with you on the '06 FJR

more aggressive eros
:D YEAH! I'd like to see THAT MOST of all! :haha:

I'll be keeping my '05. It's paid for, it doesn't tick at 8,800 miles, and I've got it modified to just the way I like it.

I'm not a big fan of linked brakes, either.

I'll put more miles on this one. It's a sweet ride. :clap: