Home made FJR trolley Mk II (Pictures)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
I had a go at making one last week that would carry the bike on its centre stand. It worked but the front of the bike was just too heavy and when I tried to move it, it all felt too unstable and as though it was about to topple.

I spotted one on the net but the supplier said that they would not have any in until next February so I decided to make my own. I ordered some more 8mm plate and made up extensions for the existing trolley so that both wheels could be carried as well.

The Mk II works as it should but the bike still feels top heavy as it is such a heavy lump. I think a tie down over the seat will complete the job. There are still a few tweaks to finish the thing off. The angle iron was not wide enough to let the locking castors swing round so I need to get some more plate to extend them. A retainer of some sort to hold the ramps up once the bike is on. A coat of paint and we are ready to race. I will post another pic when its all done.

Happy to make a cutting list up if anyone is interested.

Mk I

01.jpg

02.jpg

I bought 4 more castors but this time the locking type

03.jpg

I had some old steel hinges lying around the shop, and used them to make a couple of drop down ramps for either end.

04.jpg

05.jpg

The finished item ready for the big test

06.jpg

On she goes

08.jpg

The length is perfect

10.jpg

Image020-2.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job! :clapping: A little engineering and designing, some welding skills and....well, success! :yahoo:

I thought, in the pictures of the ones you order, they used channel for the tray. Any plans to weld a "ridge" along the edge so you would feel the tires if they start to go "off" your carrier.

It looks like it should do the job and make it easier to move your bike around the garage.

Good job! :clapping: A little engineering and designing, some welding skills and....well, success! :yahoo:
I thought, in the pictures of the ones you order, they used channel for the tray. Any plans to weld a "ridge" along the edge so you would feel the tires if they start to go "off" your carrier.

It looks like it should do the job and make it easier to move your bike around the garage.

Thanks Mike, If you look closely, the last but one picture showing the side stand down shows a length of box tube running the length, I have another cut ready to go on the other side but had had enough and decided to take the pics before calling it a day.

The picture of the trolley ready to take the bike shows both box tubes in place.

Very nice work Feej, Is the channel wide enough to put the bike on the center stand.

The reason I ask is if you wanted to work on your bike on your trolley it would be real convenient to be able to move your bike out of the way if your work was not finished.

Very nice work Feej, Is the channel wide enough to put the bike on the center stand.The reason I ask is if you wanted to work on your bike on your trolley it would be real convenient to be able to move your bike out of the way if your work was not finished.
You are ahead of me there....thats the Mk III :)

Nice.

What is the rating on those casters?

Was welding plate and tube less expensive than channel?

That's pretty cool Graham! I want to see it spinning!

edit 12/5/2007 4:48 PM:

Also, you're not doing it justice by parking this thread in Completely Off-topic Discussions. It belongs in Parts and Accessories

Nice job.

A few observations for Mk III :p

1. The flare out for the caster should cover the entire lenght of the caster. I know you are trying to make it space saving but, the dimension is already filled with the caster. I would not trust the flemsy metal of the caster to support over time without a backing. Also more than one side would be "tacked" down.

2. As already mentioned. center area for the center stand.

3. The welds are very nice, but the close-up on the hing pic, looks like most of the weld is on the hing rather than a 50/50 split down the middle. Either you eyes or my eye needs to be checked :lol:

4. a 10 inch "C" channel is a route to go, maybe easier as you already have a lip to tack to for the casters. The +/- is its heavy = hard to lift if you need to. Its heavy = more stable base. I made a ramp for my lift from 10 inch "C" Alum. works great.

5 Self closers for the ramps, easier to move around

How much is the shipping to Atlanta?
Screw Atlanta, Send to Birmingham :good:

Nice job.
A few observations for Mk III :p

1. The flare out for the caster should cover the entire lenght of the caster. I know you are trying to make it space saving but, the dimension is already filled with the caster. I would not trust the flemsy metal of the caster to support over time without a backing. Also more than one side would be "tacked" down.
I did mention somewhere that the angle that I used was not wide enough to accomodate the full width of the castors so I intend to pick up some more plate and extend them to cover the full castor.

2. As already mentioned. center area for the center stand.
Not an important point for me, I just want to be able to spin it and park it in the corner

3. The welds are very nice, but the close-up on the hing pic, looks like most of the weld is on the hing rather than a 50/50 split down the middle. Either you eyes or my eye needs to be checked :lol:
Jeez I thought I hid all the crap welds!...Now you mention it does wander a little onto the hinge.

4. a 10 inch "C" channel is a route to go, maybe easier as you already have a lip to tack to for the casters. The +/- is its heavy = hard to lift if you need to. Its heavy = more stable base. I made a ramp for my lift from 10 inch "C" Alum. works great.
I looked at C channel andthe only stuff I could find was way too heavy. I couldnt find any ally channel and besides it may not take the weight.

5 Self closers for the ramps, easier to move around
I intend to fix them with a bolt so that they work as a stop. I thought about a spring mechanism but it would not stop the bike.

How much is the shipping to Atlanta?
Screw Atlanta, Send to Birmingham :good:

Nice.What is the rating on those casters?

Was welding plate and tube less expensive than channel?

That's pretty cool Graham! I want to see it spinning!

edit 12/5/2007 4:48 PM:

Also, you're not doing it justice by parking this thread in Completely Off-topic Discussions. It belongs in Parts and Accessories

Castors 75lb

I am not sure about the cost difference but the only channel I could find was way too heavy.

Ta-daaaaa! The finished item. It's actually painted black now but the pics don't show it too well.

I took Joe's advice and added some more castors.

Image006_1.jpg

Image007_3.jpg