Scorpion Exo 1000 Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny80s

Turtle Gears
Reaction score
I finally went out and bought one of the new Scorpion Exo 1000 helmets. If you have not seen this helmet it has two nifty features pump up cheek pads and an integrated sun visor. I have been riding with a Shoei RF100 and it is the only helmet I have owned in the year I have been riding. I was most interested in the sun visor on the scorpion because it means I do not have to carry a second visor. I had heard the Scorpion was louder and heavier than the Shoei. My local Yamaha dealer said I could try the scorpion lid out on a test ride so I jumped at the opportunity. Yes it was louder at low speeds (bout the same at highway speeds) and it was heavier. I ride with custom earplug head phones so the loudness was not and issue. I don't have any neck problems so the extra weight did not bother me. One benefit I did find was that the helmet sits differently on my head than the shoei and it allowed me to see my speedo and tach without dropping my head. The shoei chin guard was always in my way but the scorpion chin guard was not in my way and could just drop my eyes and see everything. The sun visor is really a neat feature. With the flick of a switch the the sun visor drops down. It is a medium tint and does a good job of taking the strain off my eyes from the sun. I would love a darker visor and I heard that might happen one day. The pump up cheek pads did not do anything for me. I think I will like this feature more as the helmet breaks in. Yes they work and will make the helmet fit tighter around your cheeks. It works like the old reebok shoes. Pump them up to the desired level or press a button and let some air out. I only road with it for about 25 minutes but tomorrow I will do about 4 hours in it going to and from work. I will post my findings when I have a chance.

John

I finally went out and bought one of the new Scorpion Exo 1000 helmets. If you have not seen this helmet it has two nifty features pump up cheek pads and an integrated sun visor. I have been riding with a Shoei RF100 and it is the only helmet I have owned in the year I have been riding. I was most interested in the sun visor on the scorpion because it means I do not have to carry a second visor. I had heard the Scorpion was louder and heavier than the Shoei. My local Yamaha dealer said I could try the scorpion lid out on a test ride so I jumped at the opportunity. Yes it was louder at low speeds (bout the same at highway speeds) and it was heavier. I ride with custom earplug head phones so the loudness was not and issue. I don't have any neck problems so the extra weight did not bother me. One benefit I did find was that the helmet sits differently on my head than the shoei and it allowed me to see my speedo and tach without dropping my head. The shoei chin guard was always in my way but the scorpion chin guard was not in my way and could just drop my eyes and see everything. The sun visor is really a neat feature. With the flick of a switch the the sun visor drops down. It is a medium tint and does a good job of taking the strain off my eyes from the sun. I would love a darker visor and I heard that might happen one day. The pump up cheek pads did not do anything for me. I think I will like this feature more as the helmet breaks in. Yes they work and will make the helmet fit tighter around your cheeks. It works like the old reebok shoes. Pump them up to the desired level or press a button and let some air out. I only road with it for about 25 minutes but tomorrow I will do about 4 hours in it going to and from work. I will post my findings when I have a chance.
John
I purchased a new Scorpion Exo-1000 last week and I rode 200 miles with it back. So far I like it! I am going to try and put my new set of helmet speakers in it and give it the first official test when I ride down to New Orleans this weekend (~450 miles each way)!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Shane

Does anyone know if the flip down sun visor would work with someone wearing glasses?

Richard

Does anyone know if the flip down sun visor would work with someone wearing glasses?
Richard
Doubt it - I tried one of these on at a local dealership a few weeks ago while helmet shopping, and the shield touches the bridge of my nose. It sits about a half to three-quarters of an inch in front of your eyes, so it will likely smack the frame of your glasses before you can lower it completely. The sun shield in the Caberg Trip helmet I wound up ordering from overseas fits the same way, and it definitely doesn't work with glasses - tried it myself.

Richard
I believe it would be a TIGHT fit at best. I still need to see if I am going to be able to get in my helmet speakers!

Shane

I ran out and tried the helmet on with my sunglasses and it fit with the sunshade down. I would recommend trying it yourself with your glasses to make sure it fits with your style glasses and your nose. :)

I ran out and tried the helmet on with my sunglasses and it fit with the sunshade down. I would recommend trying it yourself with your glasses to make sure it fits with your style glasses and your nose. :)
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Richard

I too purchased one last week. I like the helmet, however I too have no use for the inflatable cheek pads. My main reason for the purchase was for the flip down sunglasses. I hope you're right and they come out with a much darker tinted lens. The current lens just isn't dark enough.

By the way, I just found this great video on how to diaassemble/reassemble this helmet. Here's the link: EXO-1000 Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have about 8 hours riding under my belt with the new Exo 1000 and I am very happy with it. The helmet is great so far. It sits lower than my Shoei so I can see the dash and it does not feel heavy at all. I love the sun shades they work great and go down just far enough so they are not in my line of sight. I am now used to the medium tint of the visor. I recommend this helmet but as always try it before you buy it if possible.

John

Well, I now have over 1200 miles with the Exo-1000 and I am NOT a happy camper!

When I first purchased the helmet, I didn't notice that part of the helmet's "glued on star wars parts" was cracked. I noticed after I cut my hand riding back home - called Motoliberty, they ordered a new part to glue on.

When I went to install my helmet speakers, I noticed one of the liner snaps had already come out of the helmet... I wasn't able to put the speakers into the helmet because of a tight fit. In fact, my left ear is in throbbing pain after a couple of hours into the ride.

But what really is bad about the helmet is that condensation builds up quickly on the inside of the visor @ 50 degrees (I couldn't event read my GPS which was 8" in front of me). I never had this problem with my Shoei or Arai helmets.

On a positive note, the internal visor (the reason I bought the helmet) works well as long as you are aware it's design is like wearing "bi-focal" glasses.

This is my first & last Scorpion helmet - for the $$$, one can do much better.

Shane

Not a hijack, but for those only looking at this helmet for the built in sun visor, HJC has a competing model.

I have no experience with this helmet however.

HJC FS10

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the EXO 1000 a few days ago. I like the features and the look. BUT, 3 days after purchase two small chips of paint came off. :angry2: WTF?! I read about this happening on another site. Sounds like Scorpion has a paint prep problem on this model.

Any of you 400 or 700 owners have this problem?

Just got the EXO 1000 a few days ago. I like the features and the look. BUT, 3 days after purchase two small chips of paint came off. :angry2: WTF?! I read about this happening on another site. Sounds like Scorpion has a paint prep problem on this model.
Any of you 400 or 700 owners have this problem?

I've owned an EXO400 for 2 years and have had no fogging or paint issues and have been very satisfied with helmet. Sounds like their quality control on the EXO1000 has slipped, at least on the few that board members have posted about. I'm still sold on Scorpion, at least the EXO400 model. I previously had Arai's and the visor changing routine drove me to Scorpion, which are a breeze. My .02

I have a 700 with 15,000 miles on it this year and love it. I had an Arai Quantum, Shoei RF1000 and HJC AC11 the Scorpion is my favorite and best deal.

Steve

My wife and I both have 700's and we both love them. No problems incorporating helmet speakers. I can't imagine moisture issues in 50 degree temps unless the vents are closed. I have been riding in 38 degree weather and have no moisture/fogging issues whatsoever.