SAENG-TA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb

Reaction score
Someone posted something about this edging a while back. If anyone is out there w/in the sound of my voice that has this on their original Yamaha shield please let me know how many feet I need. I think I might give this a try. Thanx-Bruce :clap:

Several on this forum use it and say it works. Hopefully one of them will speak up and help you out.

Someone posted something about this edging a while back. If anyone is out there w/in the sound of my voice that has this on their original Yamaha shield please let me know how many feet I need. I think I might give this a try. Thanx-Bruce :clap:
I think the stuff works very well to reduce buffeting and smooth out the airflow. There is a minimum length that they will ship, that was the length I ordered. It was enough to cover the entire perimeter of the windshield, with a little left over. They will sell "roll end" lengths like a foot or so, at a reduced price...not sure if you need the whole perimeter to be covered, maybe the top edge would work just as well.

Here's a pic of what about 42 inches of the edging looks like on a stock windscreen. Acts like a gutter in rainstorms by channeling the moisture down the sides of the shield instead of over the top and in your face. I've had the same piece on a Bandit 1200, a Concours, and two FJR's. Pretty durable stuff!

Saeng

DSC00034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a similar stuff from Pep Boys (door sealer) that costs $30 for enough to do 2 or 3 wihdshields. Not as ugly, either.

Sqoat, nice pic. shows me what I need to know and appreciate everyones reviews and opinions. I kinda like the look, different strokes for different folks. Want to make sure the stuff wont pull off, curl, etc. Everyone is buying and selling shields like crazy. So long as this edging does the trick I would like to keep the stock shield. Cant beat the price either, think I will order some and give it a try. Thanx! :D

Let us know how you like it. I'm considering getting it also, as I want to keep my stock shield for now but want to reduce buffeting.

You can get a similar stuff from Pep Boys (door sealer) that costs $30 for enough to do 2 or 3 wihdshields.  Not as ugly, either.
Might be interesting to compare the two products!
I see the trim on Daviddowns' shield too. Less Buffeting?

I have a +4+1 Shield and I think that buffeting only comes when there are cross winds, or "dirty air" that has been disturbed by other cars in front of me. I'm not sure that the stripping will help either of those situations.

What do people that use it think?

You can get a similar stuff from Pep Boys (door sealer) that costs $30 for enough to do 2 or 3 wihdshields.  Not as ugly, either.
Might be interesting to compare the two products!
I see the trim on Daviddowns' shield too. Less Buffeting?

I have a +4+1 Shield and I think that buffeting only comes when there are cross winds, or "dirty air" that has been disturbed by other cars in front of me. I'm not sure that the stripping will help either of those situations.

What do people that use it think?
The effect of the Saeng Ta Microswirl edging is kinda analogous to putting an aerator on a faucet...it is a much softer, even flow of air. You still get pushed by the wake from trucks, etc., no way to avoid that, but there is much less of the fluttery buffeting coming over the edges of the shield. Definitely a significant improvement IMO.

I put this on the stock '04 shield and noticed a significant improvement on the buffetting and a little improvement on the size of the quiet zone.

My Rifle w/ tuning block improved both a lot more.

I have yet to try the stuff on the Rifle partially because it doesn't need it, and partially because the top of the Rifle gets close to the vision line and I don't want to play with the sight lines.

In concert with FNG. I installed the edging on my XJ and noted a significent improvment. That was the first version of the product. Saeng is now on V.3. I'll be trying it on my '03 again. Ended up destroying the first bit, it was five years old and well used. Rider and passenger height, windshield position, speed and weather are all factors in effectiveness. Your wind resistance may vary.

tinker :dribble:

I added the Pep Boys edging this past weekend and immediately noticed an improved difference at speed - much smoother airflow and less burble - it also came in a very dark blue which matches my '05 :rolleyes: JW

VMax, that your Cobra? If you still have it, what's the stuff you bought at Pep BOys called - I have an 05 so Dk Blue should look good. Thanks.

The Pep Boys edging does not need adhesive, and I think it's sold as window trim.

I had to give the Cobras up when I retired, but there have been a few times when I could have used one to lessen the World's load of cellphone-talking dumbasses in their Mommy Vans! :angry: Now I just fly airplanes and my FJR (equipped with a LOUDASSED Stebel airhorn).

JW