Another Ticking 04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
Took my 04 with 27,300 miles into Wilson's Motorcycles in Fresno, CA for the first valve check\adjustment. Everything OK, except they were hearing a noise that varried with RPM after they finished. They double checked all their work, but the noise was still there. On their own they checked with Cypress and were told to check the valve guides. Up shot is the exhaust valves, guides and seals are being replaced by Yamaha. Hope to have the bike back in about two weeks.

So, I'd like to give a BIG thanks to Warchild and Dan for their work with Cypress on the "ticking" issue. I did not say anything to my dealer, they did it all on their own.

For anyone in the Fresno, CA area, Wilson's Motorcycles is a good dealer to get work done at, Clarence is a top mechanic and the shop is very well run. Linda in parts will go out of her way to make sure you get what you want.

Longrider

That is excellent, Longrider.....!

Evidently, the work put into making YamahaUSA aware of this issue the past year and a half or so is starting to reap some dividends... :D

That is excellent, Longrider.....!
And a BIG +1 from me. Wilson's is about 15 minutes from my place if traffic is heavy, but I'd rather push my bike there than ride it into Clawson's. That's so cool! I was facing the prospect of taking it to Sunnyside for the 26,000 mile checkup & valve job. I notice a strange sound with mine as well. Maybe I'll run it in there to have them listen. Thanks Longrider! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Up date on my bike repair as of 1/7. Parts are all in now and the head is at the machine shop having the new guides installed. New head bolts and gasket seem to be in short supply. That was the hold up in getting started as the shop wanted to have all the parts before going ahead. Hope to have the bike back soon.

Lucky to have the Shadow to ride while the FJR being fixed. Off to Sacramento on Monday to lobby for SB 969.

Longrider

I have a YES warranty. I have not asked if Yamaha will cover, but the dealer owner said it will all be covered. Cypress told them to do the work, so should be no problem.

Longrider

as someone who recently had this work performed, I recommend you read the thread called "Ticking - in the shop at 18,300 miles" below.

Stay with the dealer and make sure they order new head bolts as they seem to think they are re-usable and they are not. Good luck.

Mine is now running great again.

Picked up my 04 this morning. Did a quick checkout on about 100 miles around the foothills and canyons near Fresno. Bike is running just fine. Everything back together the way it should be. Might be a very small scrape on the generator cover, but that could be something I did with a dirty boot in the mud of West Texas.

All the work was zero charge to me. Yamaha at Cypress told Wilson's to fix it right and they would pick up the cost. No idea what the parts would cost, but there is 11.4 hours of mechanic time. At their shop rate that is $798. Clarence is the mechanic that did the work.

The exhaust valves had more than 2mm of wobble. All exhaust valves and guides were replaced.

Valves part number 5JW-12121-01-00

Valve stem seals 33M-12119-00-00

Valve guides 5JW-11133-10-00

I highly recommend Wilsons if you need work done on your FJR. They are located in Fresno, CA.

Once more a BIG thanks to Warchild and Dan for their work with Yamaha at Cypress, it sure paid off for me.

Longrider