Tire Changer Is Here!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the tire changer I was talking about. The guy who invented this Has done his homework. I did a dismount/mount the other day in 3 min. Thats from air out to air in and on my balance stand. I have done my own changing forever, so if you have never change a tire before it would take longer. But once you get the hang of it, it is fast. The nice thing about it, there is no metal to scratch your wheels.. Here is a pic, and a link. If you try to order and the shopping cart does not work, give Steve a call. They are still working on there site, and setting up payment charges ect.... It is just to cool, and I wish I would of thought of it...By the way, I don't work or sell for them, I ride with a group he and his better half belongs to...I just wanted to throw it out there, its a great machine..I did a cut and paste to put it under the parts section.tirechanger

6nuuki.jpg

Great link Smitty. I have been interested in changing my own tires for some time, but it always seems that people who do their own say it takes more than one person to do it.

Is this machine you bought really a 1 man deal for a novice like me. :search:

You make it sound really simple, only 3 minutes.

It is super easy. I think my wife could do it. I was close to buying a electric/air changer, and a electronic balancer. I was asked to come by there shop and see there changer before I bought one. Well, I am glad I did. I really think I could change a tire on this machine as fast as a electric. The block with the handle is a ecentric. You rotate it a round and it locks the wheel in place. Since I have one and if I can be any help/questions pm me your # and best time to call. I will return your call. My brother came down with his Beemer, he was blown away how fast and easy it was. We put two new shoes with balance on in a little over a hour.and they were on the bike.... The way I see it... the money I save buying tires mail order, and mount/balance myself, plus a few for friends and there friends. It should almost pay for itself in a year or two..

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it... the money I save buying tires mail order, and mount/balance myself, plus a few for friends and there friends. It should almost pay for itself in a year or two..
That and just having it on site ready for action is worth the price for me. My local stealer stings me $70.00 a set, though I must say they have always done a good job. Add to that the fact that I am going through avons faster than the state of CA can spend money, I think this is going on my farkle list. :good:

I watched the videos, but the tire in the demo sure looks like it came off the rim easier than my used up avons did recently. Have you ever used the harbor freight for a comparison?

I could get one of these and maybe offer tire changing services to my riding buddies to help eat the cost. I have a 3800 sq. ft. shop with all the tools and space to set up one of these units.

I have a Harbor freight if your interested :eek: . Yes right now I have both. The HF works but several times I have had the wheel pop out from the clamping. And had to put a piece of inner tube on the clamps not to scratch rim. Plus you can not use there mount/dismount tool without scratching the crap out of you wheels. So in turn you have to use rim protectors, and tire irons. It is tuff to do by yourself. If you lube the tire around the rim before dismount, and lube the new one they change easy on the nom,ar changer....Skyway I sent you a pm.. :D

Smitty - just got mine ordered today. Should be here early next week.

Thanks for the info.

Stay in touch on the CFO meeting

Chester

When you balance your newly mounted tires, where are you buying your wheel weights from? Clip or tape?

Alan

The last weights I bought from a auto parts store. They where stick on. I think they where from Mr. Gasket. I am going to order some from these people. You get alot of wieghts for $22. bucks... :rolleyes:

stick-on weights

Smitty, what do you use to lube your tires? Somewhat silly question maybe. You don't want something that doesn't dry inside the tire or stay slippery on the rim. Thanks, TJ

Thanks for the link.

Hopefully their products are better than the web site

.25 oz. Stock on Weight / 60 per box
What I liked best was the Truck Nuts :wacko: Does the truck ahem, wear them? Do you plant them and grow your own? Are they edible? :blink:

Alan

I have used dawn, and water with out any problems. Also there are tire lubes out there. One I have tryed works well, not sure of the name. Mixes with water. Most tire shops have it, and if you tell them what your doing(M/C tires) they will sell/give you some. It looks kinda greasy, and you mix with water...But I have found from years of changing M/C tires dirt and street, soap and water works well. :)

Best lube for mounting is called Ru-Glyde. Doesn't rust wheels yada yada yada. I would love to eliminate that very last reason for having to visit those rip off fucks called "dealers" around me. Maybe for Xmas.

I just recently changed out the stock Metzlers after 10k for a set of Avons. The Metzs were OK til the last 2-3k; the steering got quite heavy near the end. Oddly enough, the front was worn out about the same as the rear. No cupping, tho' (40 ish lbs. both ends).

The Avons feel marvelous so far. Wet handling seems confident.

I use the crappy HF changer for tire (tyre) changes. There was a link on another website (which shall remain anonymous EZ) to the tire mfgr's association website that recommended using vegetable oil (olive oil for Ducati's, I suppose). It works really well.

Pepperell

Damn, that's a good looking piece of hardware! Just a minute, let me do some quick calculating...let's see, I'm going through about 4 tires a year, my son goes through 6, $20 average mounting cost, (that's us pulling the wheels), that comes to $200 a year, just in tire mounting charges! That's less than 2 and a half years for payback!

That would make an awesome Christmas present, wouldn't it?

Damn, that's a good looking piece of hardware! Just a minute, let me do some quick calculating...let's see, I'm going through about 4 tires a year, my son goes through 6, $20 average mounting cost, (that's us pulling the wheels), that comes to $200 a year, just in tire mounting charges! That's less than 2 and a half years for payback!
That would make an awesome Christmas present, wouldn't it?
Not to mention the bucks you save by not having to buy your tires from the local "Stealer". JB

After watching Smitty change out a few tires on his No-Mar, I decided to go ahead and get one. I guess at one time they were selling them on eBay cheaper than you could order them on their own website. However, today, when I placed my order, eBay had none listed.

I also ordered Marc Parnes' balancing rig. Smitty recommeded that I get the extra long axle unit, so I can change rims that are a little wider than the FJR's. That cost $115 shipped. I'll make up my own balancing stand to hold the MP balancer. Smitty had welded up a very nice frame to do that job. Smitty, I think you should sell those! I'm also thinking that it would be nice to drill holes in the No-Mar just for that balancing frame.

When I ordered new tires from American, I also got a set of rim savers. Those nylon rim covers will help me keep from banging my rims even more than they are already.

Now let's see if I can do the job without hurting myself. ;)

FJRocket hope you will be using your new set up in the near future. I am looking forward to your review.