using PDA for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do it. It is a cheap alternative, but since I use it in the car and always have the map and POI database with me, it works well.

Here is how I do it. I have a Sprint PPC-6600 which is a PDA and phone. I put it in my tankbag in the map window, and it is powered via power in the bag and plugged into my Autocom Active-7 Smart (I had to make my own special cable). The GPS is a bluetooth portable type, and I just put it inside the bag (works great and no issue with interference). I can receive phone calls, make calls (using the Voice Command software), listen to music (I have a 2 GB card in the PDA), navigate with audio, etc. If I want, I just take the whole bag and everything goes.

Specifically, for navigation, I use iGuidance software and a USGlobalSat BT-338 GPS receiver. Its battery lasts about 20 hours of use, but I could power it inside the bag, too. What is really cool is it turns itself off if there is no bluetooth signal. I have the whole maps of FL, GA, NC, and TN on the card.

I would like to find a better way to fix the PDA in the map window, because it does wiggle around a bit, but it works because if it rains it stays dry.

This may not be ideal for everyone, but it works well for me.

-BD

I use a Palm Tungsten T ($50 used) with a Magellan M500 GPS ($60 new) and Mapopolis ($99)

it's better than nothing but leaves a lot to be desired in speed and accuracy.

I'm saving my pennies for a Tom Tom or some other handlebar mounted solution.

Yep, I love the setup. Here's some additional responses in THIS thread.

I'll be updating the thread with some pictures shortly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually looking at the Asus MyPal A636

mypal.jpg

I was looking for an All In one Phone like the Sprint PPC-6600 but the battery life killed it for me...

Battery life on the Asus is supposed to be excellent, the new SiRF III chipset,

Bluetooth built in, and WiFi also....

Windows Mobile 5.0

Looks like an awesome unit....

Also Hp is coming out with a new Ipaq 6900 this summer...

which will also incorporate

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth wireless technology.

iPAQhw6900.jpg

I think that these might be the ticket for the all in one deal...

Sorry that was such a large picture.......

Warp

I use the Garmin BlueTooth with my HP IPAQ. You can place the unit anywhere to get good reception, and the IPAQ where you need it.

Works in the car, on the bike, etc. The Garmin is magnetic and water-resistant. It only has one button, one LED, and a socket for the charger.

I've been very pleased with it--I think it works as well as the StreetPilot III did, and is a zillion times more reliable than my Rino 120 is. (it's Garmin's worst product by a long shot, a real POS...considering how fine the rest of their stuff is I'm amazed by it).