I got mine!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon. But it still makes the same noise as when it went in, just a bit quieter. Oddly, there was nobody around who knew about what was happening. They didn't have the paperwork ready yet, said they'd mail it to me. I didn't notice the noise until I got it home, all warmed up. It's definitely going back, at least for documentation.

I'm really struggling against acceptance of the fact that it didn't get worked on the way it would have if I had done it. I guess it's an unreasonable expectation, but the problem for me is that it shouldn't be. I don't think they changed the oil, I know they didn't change the filter. They did change the coolant, or added some to replace what had to be drained to pop the head off. They put in new spark plugs (which it didn't need) but didn't do a TBS. The tech was not feeling well and went home early, probably right after getting my bike back together. I'm not even sure if they test rode it. The only time they ever called me was to come pick it up. No "Would you like us to do ________ while we're in there?" Or "We'd recommend doing _______. It's not covered under warranty, but it won't cost much since we're in there already". Certainly no "We went ahead and _______ on the house since we had it apart and you were so patient even though your bike was here for six weeks". At one point, when they said it might be ready by Thursday night, I took a front tire to be mounted so I could join TWN Friday up to Napa. Oh yeah, you guessed it. Full charge.

It isn't showing any leaks, but smells like something's burning when it warms up. That might go away after a while.

All in all, a pretty bittersweet experience. Oh well, it's back and we can ride again...At least the brakes still work. I just hope nothing falls apart.

So, any recommendations or opinions on the need for break-in procedures or modified driving? Keep it under XXXX RPM's?

Went on the FJR group ride yesterday. Too bad you didn't get to go cuz we could have compared notes. I think mine is still making noise but not like before and was quieter than some on the ride. It doesn't make that clickity clankety sound when warmed up now but still has that disticive tick or tap. Mine ran like I remember when it was new. Unbelieveable acceleration and torque. After riding it for so long I forgot. The power loss while slow is still a loss. I had to take mine back for the valve cover gasket leak which they replaced. I smell coolant on the whole ride but never but once late in the afternoon traffic did it ever get to three bars. No coolant under the bike so I assume it is burnoff from taking the radiator apart and flushing but I will check today for leaks at the hose connections, but maybe they just topped it off. Who knows? I also had them install new plugs and air filter and charged no labor but the price for parts made ou for that. They also did a tbs and adjusted the valves seeing they installed new stem and seals on the intake side.

I was told no breakin as it is just valve work no piston seating etc. So I just rode it. But in a group ride its almost like breakin with stops and slow twistie riding. Filled up the fuel cell so I didn't need to fill up. Went about 350 miles. The bike really felt new.

I had them install the Wilber's front springs and shock while it was in as they gave me a pretty good price as it was already in and its wintertime. Spent the day tweaking the settings on the front forks and rear shock. Go it almost there.

Don't know what else except I am hoping yours doesn't cause anymore problems. I hope my repair lasts. Keep in touch.

It smells an aweful lot like my first repair. It is possible to leave the old oil in the engine, as there's not a lot left in the head, suggest you change it soon. Minimum I would guess they did a complete coolant change. No paperwork when you picked up the bike is not a good thing, they only had 6 weeks to prepare. I wouldn't be concerned about the burning smell, your right, it will go away. I wouldn't hammer the engine for a while, but I wouldn't baby it either.

Re: the tick, my bike had 3(IIRC) valve clearances out of spec and one of the plug coils was seperated which produced a loud audiable arc tick sound (among other piss poor repairs). It could also be the cam chain tensioner?

I know exactly how you feel right now, as the Honda/Yamaha shop in Sonora left the same taste in my mounth, except they said if I wanted it back sooner (after pushing past 6 weeks) it was gonna cost me.

When my bike went in for the first tick repair, I was lured by the ease of location of the dealer, and feel like I paid dearly for it. You know what I did the second time, and I'm not about to tell you I told you so, but you probably know now why I went 400 plus miles south, to get to a 5 star Yamaha dealer with top notch mechanics at YOC.

I decided long ago that should Frank ever get a bug up his ass he's headed outta state for the headectomy. Just too many stories like this out there IMHO. University motors is the nearest trustworthy dealer I'm aware of thats relatively near, so thats where he goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided long ago that should Frank ever get a bug up his ass he's headed outta state for the headectomy.  Just too many stories like this out there IMHO.  University motors is the nearest trustworthy dealer I'm aware of thats relatively near, so thats where he goes.
+1 from Rad the wise, for having the foresight to seek out the very best dealer you can get the bike to for major surgery.