06 TBS - NO FREE LUNCH

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
I just finished the 600 mile throttle body synch (TBS) on the 2006 FJR. I used Warchild's most excellent photo-illustrated guide at www.fjrtech.com as far as I could. I also used his guide to do my 2005 FJR, and the guide made doing the TBS a piece of cake. For the 2006, the procedure has a slightly higher PITA factor. I'll post pics later if any of them are any good.

The first difference is that it's no longer possible to merely prop the front of the tank. Because of the fancy adjustable seat, it's now necessary to remove the rear king pin, instead of just loosening it. There are also two of those annoying plastic pop rivets to remove at the rear. Once the king pin is removed, you can slide the tank back a bit so that it pivots behind the seat height adjuster.

Once the tank is propped up, you'll notice that someone stole your throttle bodies and injectors! Actually, everything is under what looks like the biggest damn batch of Jiffy-Pop Popcorn ever. It seems Yamaha has adopted the heat shielding ideas that many prior FJR farklers figured out on their own. The heat shield is under the T-Bar, so, here's another change to the Warchild TBS procedure - the T-Bar now has to come off. Once it's off, there's one of those plastic pop rivets at the rear to remove. Unfortunately, Yamaha routed the gas-tank electronics through the heat shield instead of around it. So you've got to remove the electronics in order to get the heat shield out of the way. (You can do the TBS without removing the heat shield by just supporting it out of the way under the tank. Note that this is a temporary time savings that only lasts until you drop the Number 2 intake nipple, at which time you'll need to remove the shield in order to try to find it).

Once the tank, T-Bar, and heat shield are out of the way, you'll find things are pretty much where they were for 2003-2005. The only difference I think I noticed is that the #2 nipple is a real PITA to get to. I dropped the nipple on removal. It landed on the bottom of the intake manifold. When I went in with ultra-sticky tape attached to a piece of coat hanger, I knocked it down to the top of the crank case. When I tried to get the nipple off of there using the same technique, it fell on the ground. Total time chasing down the nipple: about 15 minutes.

My initial readings showed the bike was out of spec. I ended up turning the #1 screw all the way in and still couldn't reach 250mm. I got it to 240mm, and then backed each of the other screws out to drop them to 240mm, figuring that equal pressure was more important than getting them all to 250mm.

On the button up, getting the nipples back on is considerably easier than taking them off. I left the pinch clamps in place and simply pushed the nipples down over the tubes, making sure the pinch clamps ended up snug at the bottom of the nipple. When you put the tank back in place, make sure you thread the two allen screws at the top of the tank before you replace the king pin.

While the 2006 has not been particularly buzzy, the TBS did smooth it out a bit.

Pics added here:

https://www.bikenorthamerica.com/reeky/fjravl.html#tbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you could route 4 hoses toward either side of the heat shield or the rear of the gas tank for future tune-ups?

I'm tempted to say, "yebbut, the impending rain left me no time to go to the hardware store to get the stuff to do that". But the reality is that practical ideas such as the one you describe don't usually occur to me. That seems like a good idea.

A friend of mine ordered "the-kit" for his R1 that was a PITA for access from Morgan when also getting his CarbTune II. It made all subsequent synchs a breeze -well worth it if you plan on keeping on top of your synch.

I'm tempted to say, "yebbut, the impending rain left me no time to go to the hardware store to get the stuff to do that". But the reality is that practical ideas such as the one you describe don't usually occur to me. That seems like a good idea.
If you decide to do any amount of farkling, you'll have multiple opportunities to get back under there.

Sounds like you could route 4 hoses toward either side of the heat shield or the rear of the gas tank for future tune-ups?
The problem here is that even if you do this, should one or more cylinders need an adjustment (which is generally the case, more often than not), then you still need to remove the T-bar, Jiffy-Pop cover, etc, etc to get to the adjustment screws.

Nice write up, Ari! B)

The problem here is that even if you do this, should one or more cylinders need an adjustment (which is generally the case, more often than not), then you still need to remove the T-bar, Jiffy-Pop cover, etc, etc to get to the adjustment screws.

Nice write up, Ari! B)
Just trying to pay a little back where I can. Finding your website back in 2004 was one of the principle deciding factors that led to my subsequent purchase of the 2005 FJR (not kidding here). So, thanks. :)

. Finding your website back in 2004 was one of the principle deciding factors that led to my subsequent purchase of the 2005 FJR (not kidding here). So, thanks. :)
+1 Im a FNG, registered 2/06, with lots to learn about my new FJR...this place gets that done and with good laughs too....cool deal... B) B) ..muchos gracias.

Jiffy Pop cover... Ahhh, new lingo for the FJR world.

Just a thought: can the Jiffy Pop cover be slit to the edge allowing the 'electronics' and such to be slid through v. disconnected? A reflective duct tape could then be used to cover and bind the slit until the next removal.

Jiffy Pop cover... Ahhh, new lingo for the FJR world.
Just a thought: can the Jiffy Pop cover be slit to the edge allowing the 'electronics' and such to be slid through v. disconnected? A reflective duct tape could then be used to cover and bind the slit until the next removal.
Perhaps I was being a little too dramatic. The extra work for the 06 is not that much - you just don't have all the shortcuts that were previously identified and documented.

Dealing with the gas tank electronics is as easy as separating two connectors. No big whoop, and prolly easier than putting sticky stuff all over the place. I get the feeling, Barn, you're a little too fond of putting sticky stuff all over the place.

...and please, don't say anything like, "speaking of sticky stuff, did I ever tell you the story about Aunt Bee's pie..."

Jiffy Pop cover...  Ahhh, new lingo for the FJR world.
Just a thought:  can the Jiffy Pop cover be slit to the edge allowing the 'electronics' and such to be slid through v. disconnected?  A reflective duct tape could then be used to cover and bind the slit until the next removal.
Perhaps I was being a little too dramatic. The extra work for the 06 is not that much - you just don't have all the shortcuts that were previously identified and documented.

Dealing with the gas tank electronics is as easy as separating two connectors. No big whoop, and prolly easier than putting sticky stuff all over the place. I get the feeling, Barn, you're a little too fond of putting sticky stuff all over the place.

...and please, don't say anything like, "speaking of sticky stuff, did I ever tell you the story about Aunt Bee's pie..."
Dramatics. Yeah, dat's it! And you're the one making the sticky stuff analogy, not me, you perv! ;) :p

Aside from the great job on the 06 TBS, I fully agree that finding the orig WC site and this one was a deciding factor in my 04 purchase. I was leaning toward a Bimmer or ST 1300, but I like to farkle and the farkle proficiency at the other two brands sites is nowhere near the farkling going on here.

Total time chasing down the nipple: 15 minutes. Is that your personal best? :lol:

Ari,

Does it look like there is still room for the audiovox cc with the new shielding?

Warning:

To avoid the stripped threads I wound up with, don't torque the T-bar bolts more than 40 ft.lbs.(The 56 ft.lbs. in the manual is a mistake according to the dealer & an aircraft mechanic)

Yamaha had authorized only the welder's cost to repair my threaded frame tab. I had to pay about two hours for the dealer to transport it there & remove & replace the parts.

dobias <_<

[Total time chasing down the nipple: 15 minutes. Is that your personal best?]

It doesn't take near that long to find the nipples! :D