Best Place To Connect to Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucen

Reaction score
I started to connect the cable for my BatteryTender to the battery on my 06. The positive terminal looks like it is a little hard to get to. Does everyone connect directly to the battery, or is there another place I can tap into that is a direct connection to the battery?

Bruce

I have an 05, not an 06 so your battery is much easier to get to.

For my battery tender I plug it directly into my powerlet, which is directly to my battery (dual purpose)

You can see my powerlet in this picture (upper right)

100_2626.jpg

To connect your battery tender you will need an adapter like this

pac008.jpg

If you don't want to hassle doing a powerlet I don't know of another connection direct to the battery (other than the battery itself)

Finally you can get a discount from our forum member's site

Sportbikeeffects.com

Give him your support when you can, he pays/paid for a good chunk of this awesome forum. :D

+ 1

Wire it to the battery, it can't be harder than on the older Feejers.

+ 1

Bike Effects is your one-stop-shopping address

Stef

Mine is an '05 as well so I don't know exactly how you would route the wires, but I used only the connectors and wires that came with my Battery Tender plus.

I connected the cable that came with the Battery Tender (the one with the rings on the end) directly to the battery and then routed it out below the black plastic panels and then up to the handle bars near the front brake reservior by following the cable and wires that are already there. I simply plug the charger into this SAE connector when parked.

There is a waterproof cap that is teathered to the SAE connector. When I unplug the charger I wrap that teather around the brake line before plugging it into the SAE connector so the wire doesn't slip away down along the fork tubes. It would be simple enough to use a couple of tie wraps or something if you like.

I made up a short adapter with SAE on one end and cigar lighter on the other for use with appliances that need a cigar lighter, like a tire pump, but this is really just for emergency use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to connect the cable for my BatteryTender to the battery on my 06. The positive terminal looks like it is a little hard to get to. Does everyone connect directly to the battery, or is there another place I can tap into that is a direct connection to the battery?
Bruce
Bruce,

I just installed my BatteryTender to the battery. Use a box end wrench to access the (+) terminal. The bolt is barely long enough to re-engage the nut after the ring terminal is placed on the post but is doable. Even my FAT fingers managed. Loosen the battery hold down so you can route the (-) wire under it and position the fuse holder so it lays on its' side just forward of the hold down. Now route the harness down the side of the battery hold down support and ty-rap in place, reach up, behind the right horn and guide the harness past the foam seal beside the radiator and ty-rap it to the wire you see between the opening in the right side fairing. The connector can be tucked out of sight just behind the fairing and is easily accessed when needed.

Rob

Battery Connections

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15415595776.jpg&s=f5

15415230386-thumb.jpg

Harness routeing

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15415241480.jpg&s=f5

15415241480-thumb.jpg

Connector inside fairing

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15415330564.jpg&s=f5

15415330564-thumb.jpg

Battery tender in use

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15415351892.jpg&s=f5

15415351892-thumb.jpg

Wow Rob. What a beautiful set of pictures. Thank you.

When you took the bolt out of the terminal did you need to hold the nut it goes into in place to get it started again. I have had this problem on other bikes.

Thanks again

Bruce

Wow Rob. What a beautiful set of pictures. Thank you.
When you took the bolt out of the terminal did you need to hold the nut it goes into in place to get it started again. I have had this problem on other bikes.

Thanks again

Bruce
Bruce,

I didn't have to do this but you could cut a small piece of thick paper, (Match cover) etc. & slide it under the nut before you loosen the bolt to help hold it up when you rethread the bolt.

Should work.

Rob

brucen

Someone on this site recommended a piece of sponge underneatht the nut

Works great and you can leave it in place

the 06 comes pre equipt with a power plug, if an adapter can be found, can it be used with the battery tender?
GreyGoose
I have an 05 so I can't tell you for sure, but from what I have been reading it sure sounds like the 06 power plug is wired straight to the battery.

It sounds like a radar detector, cell phone or other small powered devices are working fine. Others have tried to run a small air compressor and have found the 3A fuse has blown. There has been some discussion here about replacing with a larger fuse. (I would vote a no on that idea)

Maybe this adapter would let you plug your battery tender directly to the battery?

It is on the powerlet website under (CIGAR/SAE OUTLET - AAC-002)

aac002.jpg

06 owners will have to step in here and verify if the factory power plug is switched or unswitched.

I haven't even seen a picture of where the factory plug is, I will have to stop by Funbike and take a peek at there $18,000 showroom trophy later this week.

Edit: That was a wierd delay (Could have sworn Skyway's post wasn't there) also explains why I did not see the powerplug, didn't realize it was inside the glove box

+1 but I do it to the rear Powerlet. I have the BT mounted to the pegboard on the left of the garage. I pull the bike in, step off, reach over for the BT connector and plug it in. 10 seconds and it's done.

jp-01.jpg

+1 but I do it to the rear Powerlet. I have the BT mounted to the pegboard on the left of the garage. I pull the bike in, step off, reach over for the BT connector and plug it in. 10 seconds and it's done.

jp-01.jpg
REally like the jastek setup. will order one and get it installed asap. just got bike this past weekend and enjoy the ride so far. hands numb first day but will take care of that with bar backs from Heli (thursday announcement). bum numb too but will fix that in short order too. thanks again.

the 06 comes pre equipt with a power plug, if an adapter can be found, can it be used with the battery tender?
GreyGoose
Can you just plug the BT into the power outlet and let it sit at night? Also can I use my "Programmed for Gel Batteries" BT for my 2007 AE FJR? Thanks