Power socket on an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I can safely increase the fuse amperage for the power outlet on an '06? Yamaha has put a 3 amp fuse on the socket and of course it blows the moment I plug in a small modified air compressor. It works fine for the radar detector and the satellite radio but the compressor has to much draw. What size fuse would it need to be able to operate the compressor (Walmart $9.95 job) and what is the reason they only used 3 amp in the first place? I figured I would check before I lop off the end of the power cord and replace it with an SAE plug....

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting a larger fuse will probably cause the wiring to overheat, then melt and burn up the harness, and maybe the bike if the wire get hot enough to catch fire! Add a powerlet to be safe !!!

I'd be really careful about that. Do you know what wire gage is run to the outlet (and if it goes through any harnesses?). I might be more inclined to run my own straight from the battery outlet like we did on the 03-05 to carry heaver loads.

Not sure of the wire gauge, I guess I should have checked. I have already installed a direct wire off the battery for the battery tender so I guess I'll just modify the plug on the compressor. I have also run a pair of 12 gauge wires from the Blue Sea fuse block under the seat to the front of the bike for a future powerlet. I just can't figure out why Yamaha would only put a 3 amp fuse at the outlet. Its fairly useless in the glove box as it is but to limit its power makes it even more so. Good for a small cell phone I guess but even my Nextel with its car charger won't fit in the glove box....

Yep, I too thought it would be really cool to add some air to the old tires - and I got about 3 cycles on the pump - THEN I looked at the manual for the fuse ratings. And do you think my local dealer would have any 3 amp mini-blade fuses in stock ? NooooooOOOOooooo........ The parts guy even had to ask me who made the FJR1300. But that's another story. I found the fuses at RadioShack - and subsequently at AutoZone and Pep Boys.

The power outlet is essentially for trickle-charging your cell phone, or some other such thing - essentially useless for any kind of farkles.

Do NOT install a stronger fuse - all the bad stuff that was mentioned ahead of this post can come true - and it's real nasty. Install a powerlet that will let you use the pump.

Do not enjoin the wrath of Sparky. :huh: Bad Boogah awaits those who do !! :eek:

Phew, thanks for the info guys, being electrically challenged I did the same thing, plugged in my mini air compressor and it blew the 3amp fuse twice so I put in a 15amp and pumped my tires up, I'm going straight down to Napa to replace the 3amp.