knifemaker's passenger boards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbemotumbo

Reaction score
Installed a set of Knifemaker's passenger floorboards. Hope you find the summary and pics useful.

Installation (total install time <30 minutes):

Likely one of the easiest installs you'll ever do. The supplied instructions are complete and easy to understand. Boards came well packed and are of obvious quality construction. I must admit, my work with aluminum is limited to cooking eggs.

I won't repeat every instruction detail here. Basically you just unbolt the stock pegs, remove the rubbers from the pegs (the screws are extremely soft and el-cheepo pot metal ... have your vice grips handy), and bolt on the boards using the supplied hardware. You need to enlarge the "peg holes" (what did you call me?) slightly with a 1/4 drill bit. Also, due to the factory variances in peg faces, you may have to grind a small section to allow the board to fit flush against the peg face. I think this is important to prevent loosening over time. Yours may fit perfectly right out of the box.

Grind this spot:

grind.jpg

You'll want it as flush and secure as possible before tightening the nuts down, thus:

flush.jpg

The finished installation:

sideview.jpg

From the top:

topview.jpg

Folded:

foldview.jpg

Note: The folded position is not flat against the side of the bike. If you look closely at the peg face, it is angled and any additional peg surface area will prevent it from fully folding using the stock mounts. Although I didn't expect this, I do not find it a problem. I'm a little monk-ish about some things, so many of you may not care at all. Thought I should mention it. It in no way affects the performance of the product.

Actually, the way they fold up looks kind of "stealth fighter" now that I look at them a bit.

How's the ride?:

No distance rides as of yet. My lovely pillions (daughters and wife) find it much more comfortable to be able to move their feet around slightly. Some of the heat from the muffler /header junction is blocked by the boards. On short rides, you likely won't notice much over stock pegs. Our suspicion is that a high mileage day will find the passenger much more comfy with these boards than without. We don't have any longish rides until mid July, so thought I should at least comment on the install and initial impressions.

I expect also that the boards will allow a more relaxed ride for the pillion when leaned against the backrest / topcase (still waiting for that mod). I'll repost with some LD and backrest experience next month.

Very nice work by Knifemaker. Not sure if he will mass produce these or what the cost will be. You'll have to ask him. Based on his other work, I'm thinking a combo floorboard/bike utility knife might be in order! ;)

Sorry - I've exceeded my allowed bandwidth on geocities. Grr. Anybody know of a free hosting service without restrictions on page hits?

Now that my Defender is sold I'll take those pics off and hoefully decrease the traffic.

Apologies.

Wife is digging the passenger boards. I ended up using these on my solo SS ride last week ... knees got sore so I put my heels on the passnger boards and my toes on the pegs. Gave me a nice change for awhile on the interstate.

The GIVI top case and passenger board combo has really helped the pillion's comfort on the feejer.

pics not showing up for me either. I have a few in my FJR album here:https://community.webshots.com/user/CireL

Price will be around $65.00 a set , I make these one set a time, so no such thing as mass prduced here. Not taking any orders till June 28th...I will put info in the Vendors page at that time.

Knifemaker
Totally Photobucket.

I actually pay for the upgrade, but the free service is darn good. Plus, they use the best storage devices know to man: Network Appliance. (no I don't work for them, but my bro does)

Last edited by a moderator:
pics not showing up for me either. I have a few in my FJR album here:https://community.webshots.com/user/CireL

Price will be around $65.00 a set , I make these one set a time, so no such thing as mass prduced here. Not taking any orders till June 28th...I will put info in the Vendors page at that time.

Knifemaker
Can I buy a set of your passenger floorboards?