Cromeit heat fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_miami

Reaction score
Does anyone sell the aluminum Cromeit pieces? Must one make or have them made? No results were returned on ebay or google searches.

...yer `05 FJR is hot? How can that be? Just normal heat from a 1300 cc engine, according to some of the know-it-alls around here. Good luck with yer heat fix there Tim., cuz otherwise....you r gonna fry. :angry2:

...yer `05 FJR is hot? How can that be? Just normal heat from a 1300 cc engine, according to some of the know-it-alls around here. Good luck with yer heat fix there Tim., cuz otherwise....you r gonna fry. :angry2:
And some of the "know-it-alls" have consistently and constantly posted that there ARE a percentage of Gen I FJRs that do produce "killer heat". I know of two in NorCal where the owners, through leathers, were having their legs toasted so that the skin was red.

Personally, I have owned 2 Gen I FJRs (an '04 that was totalled when I was run over a cliff by another biker) and my current '05. Neither of mine have been that hot, certainly not as hot as my C-10 Connie was. BUT I have always said that there are FJRs that do produce more heat than mine have done.

You might want to be a little careful when you begin to lump all Gen I owners into the lot with those who deny that the problem exists. That would be a silly and immature as stating that "all" Gen I bikes produce so much heat as to burn the owners.

If you doubt my work in this posting, you could check every heat thread ever posted on the forum and double check to see if I, and others, have been careful to note the facts rather than the rhetoric or innuendo. <_<

And for the record, to those naysayers that complain about the post totals....THIS is how one runs their totals up, by mindless and very short posts like this one! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! The '05 engine heat IS normal... for an '05! :)

Tim, I did the Crommeit fix to my '05. Not to be the barer of bad news but expect the fix to help some but don't expect a major change, especially considering you're dealing with the heat and humidity in Florida. I also added heat rap up under the tank which helped a bit too, but heat still pored out between the frame and the tank. Keeping the gas tank 1/2 full (or better) helped with the heat (a bit) too.

Everyone has a different level to the heat they can tolerate. Some do fine with the Gen1's. And some Gen1's may be hotter than others. (Mine was extremely hot.) In my case hot summer days in Virginia and North Carolina were just too much. It got to the point I wouldn't consider riding if temps were much over 85 or so. I finally ended up trading up to a GenII and have no regrets. GenII's are much cooler.

Looking back on my GenI experience, I wonder if (and I didn't think about this until now), there's a way to mount several small 3" or 5" diameter 12 volt muffin fans inside the fairings, to grab the engine heat and force it down and out through the bottom of the fairing? I don't know, just a thought.

I know one FJR owner that cut a few extra holes in the front fairing (fairing piece that's right under the radiator), to allow more air to flow up and around the engine while underway. He claimed it worked fantastic while moving and the temperature gage would always read cooler (than prior to his mod), but of course when he got caught in stop and go traffic, this fix didn't help much (no air flow).

In any case, good luck with the mod.

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back on my GenI experience, I wonder if (and I didn't think about this until now), there's a way to mount several small 3" or 5" diameter 12 volt muffin fans inside the fairings, to grab the engine heat and force it down and out through the bottom of the fairing? I don't know, just a thought.
I know one FJR owner that cut a few extra holes in the front fairing (fairing piece that's right under the radiator), to allow more air to flow up and around the engine while underway. He claimed it worked fantastic while moving and the temperature gage would always read cooler (than prior to his mod), but of course when he got caught in stop and go traffic, this fix didn't help much (no air flow).

In any case, good luck with the mod.

SR-71
There are also some who were experimenting with a small flap in front of the rear tire that would act like a spoiler to "suck" the air from the engine compartment. I know that Radman posted some pictures of one he was and was going to "play" with the idea.

I guess I am very fortunate with my two bikes because it does get extremely hot here in California's Central Valley.