Lapeer Dragway again (08/29/2009)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I finally managed to drag (pun intended) another forum member along with me to the drag strip. Wayne (extrememarine) and Annette rode out to Lapeer Dragway with me today. BustanutJoker was supposed to meet us there, but he must have gotten distracted by some sheep on the way.

It seemed like a pleasantly cool and overcast day that would be good conditions for racing. It turns out that we were lucky enough to pick a day that a special fundraiser bracket racing event was going on, so it was VERY crowded. Then it started to rain right after we got there and the track was shut down for a while. The rain eventually stopped, but the wind picked up very much like this day. It was a very strong head-wind (probably 20-25mph) coming nearly straight down the track with occasional stronger gusts. Not good for 1/4 mile times and speeds.

Wayne and I only got 3 runs together because of the crowded track and various delays (rain, track cleanup, bracket racing). This was Wayne's first drag strip experience, and he seemed to have gotten it figured out pretty well by his 3rd run. Here's the time slip (I'm #4, Wayne is #5):

time_slip_2009_08_29.jpg

And here's a video (Thanks for filming, Annette!):

I had a few people come ask me about my bike after they saw me run against the R1 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty damn respectable considering that R1 driver would be a pysical mess if he had to run a thousand miles in a day on his scooter compared to you on that FJR. Just keep that in mind!!

Pretty damn respectable considering that R1 driver would be a pysical mess if he had to run a thousand miles in a day on his scooter compared to you on that FJR. Just keep that in mind!!
Not to mention that I rode my bike to the drag strip a longer distance than he trailered his bike :) .

His bike was specifically set up for racing: front suspension strapped, no muffler (really loud and annoying) and a sprocket kit to reduce gearing. All I did to my bike to prepare for racing was remove the side cases and let some air out of the back tire (which I fill back up at the end of the day with the mini air pump I keep under my seat).

Yup, Jeff schooled me on all four runs; trying to get the process down was quite a handful on top of getting off the line with out doing a 12 o'clock... I did manage to improve with each run.

What I found interesting is that the OEM Bridgestone Bt-021's did the exact opposite of any tire I had ran on the '04; instead of lifting the front end, it broke traction and spun. On a well coated track, this shocked me. I made sure to line up in the tire tracks of the cars as Jeff suggested.

So round one goes to U/P. Now, when do we head south to SE OH & WV so I can even the score??

-wayne

Yup, Jeff schooled me on all four runs; trying to get the process down was quite a handful on top of getting off the line with out doing a 12 o'clock... I did manage to improve with each run.

What I found interesting is that the OEM Bridgestone Bt-021's did the exact opposite of any tire I had ran on the '04; instead of lifting the front end, it broke traction and spun. On a well coated track, this shocked me. I made sure to line up in the tire tracks of the cars as Jeff suggested.

So round one goes to U/P. Now, when do we head south to SE OH & WV so I can even the score??

-wayne

-wayne
I'm surprized the weather was that good, it was rainy and cold all day in Saginaw. Too bad you didn't have the bags on your bike. I wonder what the ET difference would have been. Nice Run!

Looks like you replied to the wrong thread, Fastalk. This one's from August of 2009 :p

The most recent trip to the strip was cancelled at the last minute due to the rain. Just one day earlier, the forecast was showing that the rain would end by 9am. The forecast the next morning was disappointing. I'll be rescheduling another attempt soon.