What slip-ons to get for Gen 2?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHRuuM

Reaction score
OK boys and girls, I just need a little advice on which slip-ons to buy[budget is up to 600bucks. :yahoo: ] for my '08. Part of me wants to upgrade my front brakes on my Thrux with a 6pot caliper or spend the bucks on a muffler system which will get headers at a later date. Luv StainTubes but the 1100bucks is out of the question. I'm looking for a little more power but also a good sound that the cagers can hear. So whatcha say, Two Brothers, Yoshimura, et.al. I'm open for suggestions. Thanks

I ended up going with the black D&D's after I read this link: https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/cans/cans.html

Mine were around $415 if I remember right, I got them during the Daytona bike week a year ago on sale with free shipping from a dealer on ebay. There are some deals out there. After 20 thousand miles they have held up ok. I lived on the beach for a while so my bike got more than its fair share of salt. The cans still have the same bark as new and at low speeds they do growl like a stock busa, maybe a little louder. I wanted the noise for Florida traffic and noticed a reduction in cars trying to change lanes into me at low speeds. I like the sound still, rather have the cans from down under but didn't want to part with the grand for the noise. My buddies say they can hear me coming up behind them, no need to look in thier mirrors when I'm at six grand or more. They say riding behind the D&D set up doesn't bother them and I ride a lot with a guy on a bone stock Honda ST, he might be deaf though. :)

Haven't checked lately, but your $600.00 would probably buy you a nice set of used cans for the FJR. I've got Dale Walker Holeshot slipons that I bought a couple years ago used for 350.00. I've owned Staintunes (beautiful but pricey) and a set of Leo Vince carbon fibers. You might check out bikeeffects.com as he offers a discount to forum members (see stickey) and is a great guy to deal with. I got my Leo Vince's from him. :thumbsupsmiley:

Sagebrush, went to the link and found it insightful. D&D's are pretty hot with the Thruxton/Bonnie bikes and the tones are great! I've got Predator's and tuned headers on my Thrux and she's a little *ahem* loud :rolleyes: and have no problems with the cagers hearing me. I'm looking for good deep throat sound, just loud enough,that I can hear her sing but still hear the "tunes" in my buds. sgoat, how did the LV carbons sound and hold up after time? Now you guys are giving me options that I didn't know about. Do to having to ride 45miles to H-town, I'm definitely going with cans for safety, cause they flat dont' hear me at all on the FJR. And thanks for the heads up on bikeeffects.

I been running these BlueFlame Performance slip-ons in stainless steel for over 100k miles now, and they look and function like new - can't say enough good things about them...and they sound really great...

These particular cans have 3 different sound baffle adjustment levels to let you pick what kind of sound you want. At the current exchange rate these will cost you around $550 for the pair shipped to the US.

IMG_6059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Leo Vinces look goood and sound great. They also are steel packed for a long life. Bought them at Bike Effects,a forum member.

Go with the Beowulf exhaust made in England and is all Stainless Steel, unless you want something else. Even with shipping, they are cheaper than most you can buy locally. Great look and sound!! :yahoo:

Sound will come on half way through video!

Beowulf Exhaust baffle in

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Brothers..... I get compliments all the time on the sound and the looks. How can ya beat that?

P9230393.jpg

P8060036.jpg

So what's the difference in the M2 and M5? The carbons look really sharp both on the 2Bros and the LV's but the cost on both...*whew*.

Save ya money Mac!

jus get a couple'a deez...

9-30-2008reuse2.jpg

Two uh deez..

sstboltclamp.jpg

summa dis..

Steel-Wool-Balls.jpg

Presto! ya got yaself a cheap muffler set up!

Now you can take say.... five hunnert and buy sumpin else.

Yeah, you'll need a hundred to maintain that system for a few years but hey, It'll be unique right?

:jester:

These are on the expensive end (but cheaper than the very plain looking Staintune slip-ons) at ~$900-$1000 including shipping, but they really fit the styling of the bike, sound nice, and never need to be repacked:

completed_bike_side.jpg

completed_bike_rear.jpg

Titanium Remus Hexacones. And yes; that's carbon fiber too :)

I have a set of Muzzyls slip-ons you can have for 300.00 plus shipping. Excellent shape with about 1,500 miles on them.

James K,

I'd like some additional info on the Blue Flame Exh. that I haven't been able to find on their site. Do you know if they require repacking? Or, are they like Staintune and Remus exhausts with stainless baffles. Do you know of any sound files for comparison?

Thanks,

John

James K,
I'd like some additional info on the Blue Flame Exh. that I haven't been able to find on their site. Do you know if they require repacking? Or, are they like Staintune and Remus exhausts with stainless baffles. Do you know of any sound files for comparison?

Thanks,

John
John, I remember being told at the time i bought them that they did not require re-packing. These slip-ons already have over 100k miles on them (b/w the two bikes i've had them on), and sound and function as well as they did new.

I don't know if there is a sound file out there, but i get very positive comments on how nice these cans sound. All i can tell you is i'd buy a set of these slip-ons again in a heartbeat if i was in the market.

OK boys and girls, I just need a little advice on which slip-ons to buy[budget is up to 600bucks. :yahoo: ] for my '08. Part of me wants to upgrade my front brakes on my Thrux with a 6pot caliper or spend the bucks on a muffler system which will get headers at a later date. Luv StainTubes but the 1100bucks is out of the question. I'm looking for a little more power but also a good sound that the cagers can hear. So whatcha say, Two Brothers, Yoshimura, et.al. I'm open for suggestions. Thanks
In the big scheme of things, most probably think that slip-ons are not a good return on bucks... But the grin factor I get from my Leo Vince cans every time I ride is just priceless. I love, love, love those pipes. OK, maybe not that much...

See my post here: Post with pictures near the bottom

Also, you can compare slip-ons on the fjr here: Product Comparo

Cheers and Happy New Year!

SS

Thanks for all the input guys. I must say, the product comparison, by 3000psi, really lays it on the line. Sounds to me that it comes down to LV's and Holeshots. I like the lower throatier sound. Now I just have to hustle up some more bucks. Any good dealers[read discounts] out there for these two products? Dang these puppies are high dollar. :dribble:

Sounds to me that it comes down to LV's and Holeshots. I like the lower throatier sound.
Keep in mind that the audio clips on that page were not all recorded in the same conditions with the same equipment, so the comparisons may not be accurate. One of the clips, for example, sounded like the microphone was buzzing from sound levels outside of its range (too loud).

Dang these puppies are high dollar. :dribble:
If you're referring to the prices on that comparison page, those seem to not be in USD; they are way too high.

Here's some comparisons between stock and Remus Hexacones (same equipment, same locations). You know you want them :)

Startup & rev:

FYI: The Remus Hexacones come with removable "silencers" like the Leo Vince slip-ons.