03 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heat fix site:fjrforum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I own an 03 with 140,250 miles on it. What do you mean, "opened up a few areas"?

This is a counter-intuitive fact; to make an FJR run "cooler" (meaning cooler to you) you actually close up a bunch of areas. Specifically, the areas between the fairing and the frame/engine. The hot air tends to leak through those areas making you feel hot. Post pictures for much more accurate online diagnoses.

smile.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT-/191563951759?hash=item2c9a19ee8f&vxp=mtr

https://www.jfiltd.com/spdzn/

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing is a thermal blanket under the tank. That tank soaks up engine heat and insulating it does wonders!! That's what those "heat fix" things are that they're linking.

If you're not geared up, you might wanna try that, too. My legs cook if I ride in street pants, but correct gear keeps the heat off the legs. (And I almost NEVER ride without riding pants anyway, but it was something I noticed when I did.)

So on the first gen bikes this is just the animal I am getting. and that the heat shields do work to help keep things cooler. I live in the Cincinnati,Ohio area. I do ride with jeans on but no riding pants. And that sucker just makes it feel I have a nuclear rocket between my legs. I cut out 4 places on the lower front body work as I have seen here on this site but that accomplished nothing.

I will give the shields a try. What year did they get this heat issue worked out? If any.

Thanks for all the replies/input.

What year did they get this heat issue worked out?
Don't think of it as a "heat" issue as all 1300cc engines are going to produce a tremendous amount of it. It's better to think of it as a heat management issue. Gen 2 bikes did much better for a variety of reasons discussed on this forum many, many times. Search on terms like heat, management, and cromeit to see.