06 back rest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6mmbr

Reaction score
First let me day Mr. Garauld does excellent work, and anyone looking for a backrest should check with him.

For me I like to make it (break it) myself if I can.

Here is what I made to help others who are thinking along same lines.

Materials: 3/16 mild steel 5"x24"; Harley Davidson Softail backrest; steel tubing; M8 1.25x50 flange head bolts(mounting base to bike); button head cap screws 1/4x20 3/4 inch (for backrest mounting.

Steel is cut to preferred shape (plasma cutter helps).

Holes drilled (take off rack and make template from underside).

The two pieces are welded at 15 degrees off vertical (seems to give best comfort angle).

Steel spacers are cut 90 degrees at one end, 15 degrees at other end (spacers long enough to just raise metal base up off plastic - two front ones are slightly longer than the single rear.)

I paint with Duracoat (matte black matches the JFR black plastic well - powder coat nice but I can't handle the wait associated with small orders locally).

pic144.jpg

Picture below is before painting:

pic142.jpg

From the front:

pic148.jpg

www.Colorrite.com has yet to come out with the '06 blue color; but they indicate will be available soon if you want to match the bike (or for those tip over scratches). They are the source of the paint for Yammi dealers.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 6mmbr - thanks for the kind words. Not a bad effort on your part. FWIW, I may have a match for the '06 paint and I can powdercoat and turn a part around in a day or 2.

I think i would weld in a gusset between the back rest and mounting plate.