'06 LED screen issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a FAQ but I couldn't get search to find LED topics very well.

My '06 has what appears to be a dead segment or pixel on the lower left of the gear indicator surround box. Has anyone else had this problem?

This should prolly go in the technical section and I'm sure one of our excellent admins will take care of that. I haven't heard/read of anyone else having this problem though.

I will look and get back to you this afternoon, (at work now)

Checked, we all have it missing...

Last edited by a moderator:
My 06 has the same gap too. Didn't notice it till now. I heard the fix for the instant MPG issue will be to replace the whole display though.

Arrrr, I be posin' iffin it not be akin ta what be in this here magic paintin' then yer be addled, mate, not ta be puttin' on the Black Spot and toss that wench inta thar briney deep! Arrrrr.

Fair winds to ye, laddy!
06SSPBK-92-002.jpg

OK, i went a looked too and yeah mine has that too. me thinks it's designed that way though.

nice pic pirate!

LED = Light Emitting Diode (First Calculators) LOL

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display (FJR SCREEN)

It looks like the display's are driven with the segments off, I am just guessing here since others have the same problem. Maybe when they fix the MPG issue they will fill the line around the Gear Indicator!!! If I am not mistaking the Pics on the Yammy sight show it filled!!!

Todd

If it really bothers you that much, just carry an erasable black marker with a fine tip along with you when you ride. Once you turn on the ignition, draw the line in. When you shut the bike down, wipe the line off.

I use an erasable marker to add more fuel when I don't have time to actually stop for gas. You can also use it to make your bike warm up faster. On occasion, when I want to go really, really fast, I use the marker to turn the 5 for 5th gear into a 6. Man, that's fast! Phew!

...just carry an erasable black marker with a fine tip along with you when you ride. Once you turn on the ignition, draw the line in. When you shut the bike down, wipe the line off.
The problem with those erasable markers is that they smear. I got the folks over in our design shop to die cut a small square in some black electrical tape. Now like it's always on.

Seriously folks, why'd ya have ta go and point this out. I've been goin so fast I didn't have time to stare at the dial. I never would have noticed. Now I'm gonna start obsessing about this, and might end up a road rash.

LED = Light Emitting Diode (First Calculators) LOL
LCD = Liquid Crystal Display (FJR SCREEN)

It looks like the display's are driven with the segments off, I am just guessing here since others have the same problem. Maybe when they fix the MPG issue they will fill the line around the Gear Indicator!!! If I am not mistaking the Pics on the Yammy sight show it filled!!!

Todd
D'oh! And I even had one of those (and an LED watch too. Had to push a button to see what time it was). Still wonder why they left out that segment on the LCD?

That dead segment is designed in as a drain for excess electrons in the meter assy to leak out, so the meter display doesn't fill up with electrons and overflow. The put it in the lower left corner so they would drain out when the bike is on the sidestand.

The missing LCD segment is probably an engineering or manufacturing error. The person that made the mistake told his boss that he had artistically enhanced the look of the display and got a promotion. Seriously, it could be a design error, flaw in manufacturing tooling or someone's idea of art and symmetry.

I like the 6th gear explanation!

Perhaps it's a code designation to identify which motors are destined to, uh, well, never mind.

Enjoy your new bikes!