07 Interceptor 800 vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honzo

Reaction score
I can put bags on a VFR and can handle the forward lean. If I decided to spend less $ on a bike next year and go with the Honda, does anyone know how these bikes compare in straight up muscle and top end?

According to the September issue of Cycle World: the 'contraceptor' lists @ $13,099 w/bags -- not alot less $. And, I think you'll find the published performance issues come down to just tenths of seconds and a few miles an hour. The big difference, performance-wise, would be the ease at which the FJR accomplishes most of its performance -- it's just more muscular. There may be a big difference, tho, on how you feel on either bike -- the 'ceptor may feel way more sporting?

Neighbor down the street had one as his forth bike ('02 FZ1000; '03 Busa, '05 SV1000 and a 2005 VFR). I had a chance to ride with him against my 2002 Sprint ST. The VFR sat more upright and felt lighter than mine, but when it came to brute power...there was no comparison!!! The ST ran from it in every gear. My 05 FJR has considerable more brute than the ST (eventhough it was a GREAT bike). He was also more at ease in the mountains and better able to keep up at a fastrer click too. Although he loved the seating position, he ended up selling it due to the lack of performance.

There was talk somewhere about making the VFR a true litre bike. If this is the case, it may just change the sport touring arena!! ;)

If you want a lighter, more city friendly bike, the VFR is exceptional. If you plan to ride the hell out of two wheels..I'd stick with the FJR

The VFR will not keep up with the FJR on the straights... Not sure about the what type of clearance it has for the twisties though. BUT a skilled rider, with the right suspension settings, on a FJR can handle the triple apex with FEROCIOUSNESS!!

WW

Thanks a lot. Then I thought of something very important as we dip into the 40s here in Illinois this week... wind protection. FJR it is.

Thanks a lot. Then I thought of something very important as we dip into the 40s here in Illinois this week... wind protection. FJR it is.
I've ridden down into the mid-30s on my '03 VFR. The FJR is much better for wind protection (and it's got heated grips!), but the Viffer isn't horrible. In the tight twisties, the VFR is a lot more fun. The FJR is awesome, but it's still a big bike. What else... VFR is great for one person, but not so special for 2up. Oh, and much better luggage too. As for rider comfort, FJR has it. You can sit upright and relax on it for long distances. This is good. That said, the VFR has 14k & counting...

Is the VFR fast? Seriously, folks. Isn't "fast" a moot point when talking about these motorcycles? "Aww... 0-60 in over 3.5 seconds? Slowpoke!!!!" Porsche Turbo anyone?? C6 Corvette? Sheesh!

Anyway the VFR hasn't changed in awhile, so snag a used one if you go that route. I'll sell you mine for $10k! :dribble:

-Rob

I owned a VFR for 5 years. It is an awesome bike. I currently own a FJR and as I get older (46) I have to say I prefer the FJR. It is a little more civilized than the VFR and eats up the miles a little easier. Performance wise there is not a lot of difference. Both bikes are sport/touring. The VFR is a little more "sport" than the FJR. The FJR is a little more "touring".

If you are into longer distance rides then I would definately go with the FJR.

Coldvint is right. The VFR hasn't changed for a while. There have been rumours that Honda were going to release a VFR1000 for 2008 but they must have discussed things with Yamaha and decided to release the VFR1000 at the same time as the Gen III FJR.

Whatever decision you make you will enjoy either bike.

My wife has a 2006 VFR and I have a 2007 FJR and they have comparable power but you have to ride them differently. The VFR is a higher reving 6 speed with a chain, and it's light, comparitivly, so it takes a little practice to wind it up tight and keep it in the power band but the 1/4 mile times are about the same and the VFR is killer in the twisties. The VFR need Helibar risers, a Double Bubble windscreen and a set of the OEM bags. If you are young and healthy enough to lean into it if you are tall or if you have the right body proportions at about 5'10 +/- it is great.

Of course as we know the FJR does not need any special riding skills or add ons and fits just about anyone and rides with more comfort. The more comfort is why I own one otherwise I think the VFR is a perfectly engineered bike, just make it a little bigger and more upright and I might be onboard. But I prefer a chain and would like to loose a 150 pounds and don't mind winding the crap out of it.

I own an 04 Ceptor (asphalt black non-abs model) and 07 FJR (black cherry clutch model)

If I had to have one

bike to do it all it would be the FJR. But I still

love my Interceptor and have no plans to sell her.

Of the two, the Interceptor feels much lighter, much

more flickable and "one" with the rider - more

connected to the road. You can "read" turns easier by

way of feedback through the front wheel. It is also

easier to handle at slow speeds, around a parking lot

and on uneven surfaces like a driveway, because my

feet are much more firmly planted on the ground (I am 5'11" and have a 32" inseam). This feels like its due to a

narrower tank and lower seat height. It also is two

notches closer to a sportbike riding position, canting

you forward on your wrists a bit more. While this

probably contributes to feeling one with the machine,

this combined with slighly less leg clearance makes

longer treks a bit more achy on the knees and wrists.

Hardbags are optional - and stick out like Ross

Perot's ears, and are far less integrated into the

design compared to the standard bags on the FJR.

Those underexhaust pipes look cool, but you pay a

price with how the bags have to sit next to them. I

have a Cortech bag mounted on the rear saddle and that

suffices for short trips, but would not be adequate

for weekenders - for that you'd likely need the bags.

Chain drive is smooth but higher maintenance compared

to the FJR's clean, easy to maintain shaft drive.

Also, if you do get the bags for the VFR, when you

take them off you see the brackets. When you take the

bags off the FJR, you'd never know it even came with

bags. Again, better integrated on the FJR.

The FJR is and feels much larger. Even in the lower

position the seat and wider tank make it more

cumbersome to move around at slow speeds. But...

It has full instrumentation including a gear

indicator, it's bags are much better integrated, it

has a glove box and power port, it is rock solid

stable at all speeds (not that the Ceptor isn't mind you) and provides the ability to

adjust how isolated you are from the freeway by way of

a slick electrically controlled windscreen. It is

definitely the bike of choice for longer trips, but

still offers a great dose of canyon carving ability,

ground clearance and awesome power. The engine is

beyond marvelous. You feel like you can cruise all

day at 100+ mph in complete comfort and relaxation.

Not so on the Ceptor. It feels overall more plush and

luxurious to the Interceptors more visceral rawness.

While both are tourers, no question to me that the

Interceptor is dialed two notches closer to a pure

sportbike and the FJR two closer to a

trans-continental steed.

Beautiful thing is you can't go wrong with either.

Both are proven, both are truly world-class machines.

Both have center stands and ABS (optional on the

Interceptor). If you're just going to do shorter

trips with the occasional longer trip and value having

people think you bought an exotic sportbike, the

Interceptor's your bag but forgo the hardbags. But if

you like the looks of the FJR, and don't care if

people know you're on a tourer, and put higher value

to comfort - go FJR. Either way, you'll have the

ability to own the road and you'll feel a lot more in

control of your steed compared to the V-Rod.

Note it seems the Interceptor doesn't quiote hold it's

value as well. If considering used, may be a good

chance on getting a slightly used VFR for cheap...

Hope this helps.

MA