08 throttle cams

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutter

Reaction score
does anyone know whether the 08 throttle cams will retrofit into the 07 fjr a or ae models ?? :unsure:

I'm almost positive that you can't purchase the throttle cam as a separate item, you would have to buy a whole throttle body rack. The throttle cam is part of TB #3. Cool as the idea is, there is no practical way to retrofit the '08 to a '07 short of buying a '08 :(

As MM2 says, you need to look into the highly successful G2 for a linear throttle response and perhaps a Power Commander to take the abruptness out of throttle changes.

As noted elsewhere on this forum, I relieved some spring pressure on the throttle with only a small improvement- then put on a G2 throttle tube and cam which completly fixed the abruptness-best $70 I have spent on the FJR yet

I'm almost positive that you can't purchase the throttle cam as a separate item, you would have to buy a whole throttle body rack. The throttle cam is part of TB #3. Cool as the idea is, there is no practical way to retrofit the '08 to a '07 short of buying a '08 :(
As MM2 says, you need to look into the highly successful G2 for a linear throttle response and perhaps a Power Commander to take the abruptness out of throttle changes.
What abruptness?

Folks wanting to get a G2 cam set-up.

Keep yer peepers peeled over on the GB page, a G2 GB is about to go into effect!

GZ

Glad I stumbled across this discussion. Only have 105 miles on my '07 and I was already "concerned" about that throttle response. Kept telling myself I'd grow accustomed to it. <_<

Now I watch the GB section with credit card in hand. :)

DOH!

The powers that be decided against a GB, as the margin is WAY small on these little guys.

Jeff at Bike Effects has the best deal going on these, and as MANY many riders can attest, the slower cam REALLY tames the throttle on the newer bikes with twitchy throttles.

Good luck, but you won't need it. The install is cake.

GZ

DOH!
The powers that be decided against a GB, as the margin is WAY small on these little guys.

Jeff at Bike Effects has the best deal going on these, and as MANY many riders can attest, the slower cam REALLY tames the throttle on the newer bikes with twitchy throttles.

Good luck, but you won't need it. The install is cake.

GZ
Agreed - the product is great, service is great and the price is already a fair price. This product gives a very noticable improvement, but did NOT fix the "abruptness" off idle completely on my bike. But it did help, and I would not go back to the stock tube.

I never thought that changing to the G2 would make that much of a difference to the way that my AE responded....but it did!!! As far as the off throttle abruptness goes. The barbarian mod and the new ECU seemed to make the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed - the product is great, service is great and the price is already a fair price. This product gives a very noticable improvement, but did NOT fix the "abruptness" off idle completely on my bike. But it did help, and I would not go back to the stock tube.
Ditto. It helped butt not completely. It could be smoother.

Keep yer peepers peeled over on the GB page, a G2 GB is about to go into effect!

GZ
If I buy two G2 units, will that give me twice the improvement?
Only if you have 2 FJR's. I've done the G2 install and the middle spring unwind mod and has totally solved the problem. Some have even taken the center spring off and need to mention I also installed a set of Grip Puppies which also seemed to tame the smallish OEM grips. Larger diameter makes for slower action time equals smoother throttle response. And something I've not seen mentioned in quite awhile is raising the idle to 1000 -1100 rpm which also might help any low speed/off throttle glitches. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:

GZ
If I buy two G2 units, will that give me twice the improvement?
Only if you have 2 FJR's. I've done the G2 install and the middle spring unwind mod and has totally solved the problem. Some have even taken the center spring off and need to mention I also installed a set of Grip Puppies which also seemed to tame the smallish OEM grips. Larger diameter makes for slower action time equals smoother throttle response. And something I've not seen mentioned in quite awhile is raising the idle to 1000 -1100 rpm which also might help any low speed/off throttle glitches. PM. <>< :D
I've done all of the things you mentioned (plus the Barbarian mod) - including raising the idle to 1100 rpm. I still have the off idle issue. I have a throttle body synch tool and a PowerCommander on order now. I love the bike, and am going all out to make the throttle response the best I can get it.

My son modified his 03 and I modified my 06 after we released the return spring pressure. We had a photo of the G2 for FJR's, blew it up to better see what they did, then marked up our original plastic throttle pulley, built onto the throttle shaft, to match it. Took it to the bench grinder and ground it so that it look like the G2. Take a hack saw blade and work on the cable groove to blend it into the surface just ground. Clean up edges and reinstall on bike. Works like a charm. All the abrupt throttle action that takes place during slow manuvering and starting from the stopped position is gone. This is not rocket science. You can do it too and it costs $0.