1200CC YAMAHA dual sport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
What do you think ? Testing has already started per the MCN !!

1200Tenere.jpg

Looks good to me. Not as good as the BMW F800GS in B&Y, (IMO). But “P len T” good enough. And likely, a less expensive price entry point too.

Look forward to seeing what the actual bike will look like. Who knows, maybe they've got plans for an 800 too.

That is exactly what I've been waiting for. I was thinking about a KTM 990 adventure or even the 690, but this looks like it may be lighter.

Some of you guys know Kieth from Tulsa (electronics guy). He has a group that goes to Copper Canyon Mexico every year. He's been egging me on to get a Dual Sport.

BRING IT ON YAMAHA.

Glenn

Deja vu -- all over again. After lusting for the, Euro only, Teneres and Super Teneres decades ago I was 'ripe' for the TDM ('Tedium'). My local dealer sold the one that gathered dust on his showroom for two full seasons at less than half-retail (I'm not kidding -- it was starting its 3rd season; and, Yamaha probably kicked-in a sizeable rebate?). Anyway, fifteen years ago, similar bikes (TDMs) didn't sell very well - at all - to Americans.

Now, 'Change IS', and maybe the market is ready for a 1200cc "dual-sport" Yamaha ...?? But, I kind'a doubt that MamaYama/Cypress is willing to 'bet the farm' on it.

BTW, 2 years was all I could endure of 'life with the TDM' -- was glad to see its tail-light and haven't regretted a moment since.

:( -- :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If its like the 600 tenere it'll be europe only.

I wonder what the hp and torque figures would be?

I'm sure it would come in cheaper than the KTM or BMW.

1200?! For a DS?! Way, way to effin' big. Now, slap some Supermotard wheels on that and you might have something. Maybe not as sexy as this, though:

029540.2-lg.jpg

:dribble:

MCN has been yapping about the 7th Generation VFR, and the New Blackbird XX (or a hybrid of the two), for the last couple years as well. Not that they have any control, but so far they have been wrong on those predictions. I take most of what I read in MCN, about "future" production bikes with a big grain of salt !

1200?! For a DS?! Way, way to effin' big. Now, slap some Supermotard wheels on that and you might have something.
Yes, but I'd bet you could get parts (if you need them) anywhere in North America. And I'd bet the asking price and maintenance costs are probably a bit less. But one never knows until it happens....if it happens.

MCN has been yapping about the 7th Generation VFR, and the New Blackbird XX (or a hybrid of the two), for the last couple years as well. Not that they have any control, but so far they have been wrong on those predictions. I take most of what I read in MCN, about "future" production bikes with a big grain of salt !
Well, F me! That's because we're talking about Honda! The company that has totally lost its balls. You mention 2 GREAT bikes that were once the leading edge in technology, while being pretty much bulletproof, reliable and as well fit and finished as nearly anything made.

And lessee -- you got that V5 MotoGP 1000cc motor as a potential base for an updated XX - VFR - hybrid. And also, you got the RC51 motor that could have been tuned for mid range, and without too much problem dropped into an adventure or super motard frame as a KTM killer. Nice, solid, proven, reliable, performance powerplants and LOTS of ability to refine the engine and the frame/suspension for the purpose.

But will Honda do that? Of course not. Not when it can offer 27 versions in 5 displacements of V-twin (or even boxer 6) cruisers and changes in graphics and colors on a product line that features a dwindling number of sport bikes and no supersport platform. F$@#ing Honda! Pisses me off that they built such a great bike in the XX but never came out with a Gen II or a replacement, while letting Suzuki and Kawasaki hand them their ass in performance supersport and sport touring bikes.

Pathetic. Oh, and a bike rag that buys into Honda's rumor BS is equally pathetic.

Well so far it's been good; The original FJ1100 and with more HP, the RZ 500 The FZ 750 debut up here, The MT-01 which is still not in the States, The additional HP of the Canadian spec FJR, and now the 1200 Dual Sport...... Nice......