15,000+ miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip which included many weather conditions

here is my opinion of the gear I used:

The FJR...

This bike sucks! You ride your butt off, get tired and pull into a rest stop

for a nap. You walk towards a picnic table for some shut eye and you swear

you can hear the bike taunting you "Is that all you got sissy boy"

Seriously this bike rocks!!!

Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket...

This jacket IS all its cranked up to be. I was pleasantly surprised. I found

It kept me dry in the rain I experienced and comfortable in the heat with its vents.

Areostich Airvantage Heated Jacket...

Wow, I debated on electrics, I ended up buying this sole jacket.

I have fractured my spine (2 times) and when I LD ride this is one

of my weak points. This jacket not only kept me warm, I found when I inflated

the air bladder tight it helped support my back while the heat kept me from tight

"fatigue pain" I usually get.

First gear HT II pants...

Loved them... I wore these instead of my roadcrafter pants due to a "fit" issue.

I was surprised to find I stayed dry in them also. In the heat I rode with the

zippers on the legs opened and found them comfortable. I think the transition

of liner/no liner could be made easier, but then I was always in a hurry. With the

liner I never needed fleece pants, that I had brought, to stay warm.

Cruiserworks Defender boots...

This was the first test for these boots, as previous rides were dry and shorter.

I was very pleased with the warmth these provided in the cold. I never doubled

up socks and yet my feet were warm. I got the Defender model as they are "Lace

Up" I have a plate with 7 screws in my right ankle, and these give me a "custom" fit.

BUT most importantly... they proved they were waterproof!!! Kept me warm in the cold,

dry in the rain and comfortable in the heat. I can't imagine the ride with wet feet.

Gloves...

I took 4 pairs of gloves. I learned not to buy "Winter" gloves from a Florida cycle shop.

My son's ski gloves got me through the cold and even kept my hands dry, but lack of flexibility

was a major issue when I had to use my hands. I also brought rain overgloves by firstgear.

These may work for summer gloves, but I got them too tight for cold weather gloves, and found

they crush the insulation and destroy the gloves ability to keep the hands warm. For warmer riding,

my tourmaster Gel Cruiser gloves are great for comfort with vibration and grip. Hot weather, I wore

Motoboss mesh.

This was an area I was not satisfied with. I went fishing in Canada on the return trip and came

accross some "River Rat" fishing gloves. They are 90% neoprene, 5% nylon and 5% fleece. They are

waterproof and warm. They also have a rubber palm for grip. Could I have stumbled on something here?

I will give these a try for cold/wet weather. Needless to say, I am going to electrics for hands in cold

weather from now on.

Shark Evoline II...

This is the first modular helmet I have owned, so my opinion is limited by lack of comparison. I liked

the ability to fuel without removal of headgear. I LOVED the drop down tinted visor. This was great to

rely on from the last fueling at dusk and the fueling before sunrise. Also combined with sunglasses I

was able to drive into the sun at sunrise and sunset. I had forehead issues with soreness, It could be a

sizing issue? I travelled with it in the lock back position in the heat...3/4s can be nice at times!

I also had a neck gear. I do not remember the brand, and do not want to go looking for it. It is turtle

fur I think, it stops the cold air from entering the helmet and jacket. These are fantastic and well worth

the $.

The reason I write a review like this? I have benefited from the advice of others on this forum on

equipment issues and saved some $ on getting it right the 1st time. This is just my opinion on the

gear I used. Take it for what it is worth. One of my first LD rides was the 100CCC in which I left out

on the fjr with no bags, blue jeans, blast jacket, water socks and helmet. It rained from San Antonio

TX to Jacksonville, FL... I was miserable the last 24 hours. This trip.... :)

Ride safe, ride far,

Tony

Thanks for the review, always good to know how others feel about certain brands/models.

A comment on the HT II pants, if you go down, the lightweight material will shred easily (DAMHIK), and the knee pads are not approved armor, just foam pads.

Thanks for the review, it's always informative to hear how stuff worked under extreme conditions. Interesting about the Airvantage jacket; I didn't know such a thing existed.

Thanks for the review. I'm thinking Roadcrafter, somewhere in my future but the high $$ (and the cupboards full of other gear that I own) are putting me off buying right now.

Good information here, thanks for taking the time to post it up Tony. Although I have another heated jacket, going to take a look at the Aerostitch for the adjust ability factor...

--G

Fun post.

Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket...This jacket IS all its cranked up to be. I was pleasantly surprised. I found

It kept me dry in the rain I experienced and comfortable in the heat with its vents.
Well over 100K on my 1piece roadcrafter and I love it more all the time. At around 40K(ish) Kathy and I were on a romantic 2-up evening ride. She knew I loved my RC and she sparked up conversation --and I took the bait. She said: "how many miles do you have on your aerostich?"

..and I said "...gosh, about 45K "

...and she replied "Smells like 90K". she totally set me up. Dumb story but your mileage thing reminded me of that silly evening.

Thanks for the review. I'm thinking Roadcrafter, somewhere in my future but the high $$ (and the cupboards full of other gear that I own) are putting me off buying right now.
Jill, I still have a garage full of gear --all the usual suspects, first gear, alpinestars, joe rocket, fieldsheer ..yada yada yada. It's all shit compared to the aerostich and I spent a fortune continually buying and wearing out sub-par gear. Now that I have the aerostich, the other crap never gets used. Once you go aerostich, you won't go back, you won't look back an in the big picture you'll be way ahead on money.

...Gloves...

... They are 90% neoprene, 5% nylon and 5% fleece. They are

waterproof and warm. They also have a rubber palm for grip. Could I have stumbled on something here?

Ride safe, ride far,

Tony
But no protection? Hands can suffer severely in an accident.

I strongly recommend proper motorcycling gloves.

...Gloves...

... They are 90% neoprene, 5% nylon and 5% fleece. They are

Ride safe, ride far,

Tony
But no protection? Hands can suffer severely in an accident.

I strongly recommend proper motorcycling gloves.
I understand your concerns. If other riders came in contact with me... say around town, I would be

blasted for my "Riding gear" or lack of. I ride around town with no helmet, shorts, T-shirt... BUT, I hear

everything and see everything. I have been riding for 35+ years and have had my share of accidents.

Most of them my own fault in the earlier years. For me, I have found it important to avoid accidents by

controling the space around me. If I am uncomfortable, say... my hands are cold and loosing the ability

to squeeze a brake or clutch- this is a real concern for me. I am still learning about gear and now I find

myself MUCH more aware of it. Also I find myself wearing more and more, consider my 100CCC, I have

come a long way in less than 1 year and obviously I have much further to go. :lol:

Thanks, Tony

I ride around town with no helmet, shorts, T-shirt... BUT, I heareverything and see everything. I have been riding for 35+ years and have had my share of accidents.

Most of them my own fault in the earlier years. I am still learning about gear and now I find

myself MUCH more aware of it. Also I find myself wearing more and more, consider my 100CCC, I have

come a long way in less than 1 year and obviously I have much further to go. :lol:
Glad to hear that you're learning, Tony. Tell me, when you're riding around town, do you find the asphalt less abrasive than on longer rides? Or the drivers less prone to do stupid things? Sure, it's a pain to gear up for shorter trips but I believe that there is evidence out there supporting the fact that a crash is MORE likely closer to home.

A good report 101stpath.. thanks for sharing your info. Valuable stuff that other folks can pick from.

Seems Jill and us are in the same boat. Closets FULL of gear that I hate to part with (don't know why !) that will never see the bike again.

Glad to hear that you're learning, Tony. Tell me, when you're riding around town, do you find the asphalt less abrasive than on longer rides? Or the drivers less prone to do stupid things? Sure, it's a pain to gear up for shorter trips but I believe that there is evidence out there supporting the fact that a crash is MORE likely closer to home.

[/quote

OK.. this "Debate" is not fair as you did not SEE me ride that way. :D

I weigh MY risks and MY benefits. Once in an accident, I cannot debate the advantage of gear.

However... I can debate the best way for ME to avoid one. Example: I am sitting at a stop light behind

a line of cars (Actually 3 lanes) I hear a noise to my back, I look in my mirrors (With FULL vision) to see

a car barreling towards me unaware of the red light (Or anything else around). I pulled in between the

cars ahead to see this "Driver" plow into the back end of the car ahead of where I had been. Accident was

avoided... You can state facts on accidents, but occurences like this are not recorded. I consider what I feel

is best for ME. Most accidents occur close to home, because most driving is done close to home.

I would have a hard time explaining the way I feel when I am riding. Sometimes I ride without a helmet

specially in low speed urban situations. I see better, I hear better and I feel better. Some riders "Hit" it in

the twisties, high speeds, tight turns and low angles. This is taking risks... Is it not? LD riding, rallies and

cycling in general... Does this not add risks to one's life? I am an infantry vet who has been through air

assault school, the french commando entrainment, and I love to skydive!!! Risk? Sure! BUT... I will take a

large helping of them... Thank you.

I started LD riding after my oldest son was going through detox from drug addition. I cannot explain to

anyone what I feel when I ride. Maybe an escape? Maybe something I CAN control? The feeling of the road!

On this ride, I slept at rest stops, parking lots and even building roof overhangs. Some would say that was

"Dangerous" (They may be right) I drove throughout many days + nights watching the sun go around, darkness

set in and it was just me and the highway. Sweet and pure!!! I stated I had been riding for 35+ years, but

the truth is: Last August on my youngest son's birthday, I started out on a SS1000. This started an "addiction"

of my own. I truly "Live to ride" and "Love to ride".

I will stop with this now as a ride report will follow. ( AFTER my ride next week )

Sorry,

Tony

I will stop with this now as a ride report will follow. ( AFTER my ride next week )Sorry,

Tony

No need for apologies Tony. I fully respect the fact that we are all adults who choose to make our own decisions, for our own reasons. Yours seem well thought out, for your situation.

Looking forward to reading that ride report.

And Roger hit the nail on the head. WHY???? do we keep all the riding gear that has since been replaced by better stuff? Do I dare admit to keeping the fringed jacket and chaps? And the 3/4 helmet? I have an Olympia mesh jacket with liner, that I wear pretty much every time I ride. Mesh pants if it's warm, Tourmaster if it's cool. Same helmet, gloves and boots every ride.

Do I dare admit to keeping the fringed jacket and chaps?
Yes! And post pics, please :D

How sad is it, that of all the jackets I own, that particular one fits the best? It's thick, soft leather but has no padding or armor. The sleeves are just the right length. The shoulders are the right width. It fastens comfortably. But..... it is fringed and has no armor. Should I save it for Halloween?

Do I dare admit to keeping the fringed jacket and chaps?
Yes! And post pics, please :D

How sad is it, that of all the jackets I own, that particular one fits the best? It's thick, soft leather but has no padding or armor. The sleeves are just the right length. The shoulders are the right width. It fastens comfortably. But..... it is fringed and has no armor. Should I save it for Halloween?
I dunno. How about wearing it for some boudoir photos ?! ;)

I don't know though -- Black and pink --- a cool color combo. At least Elvis thought so :yahoo:

And on the closet gear --- We each have a "back-up" winter clothing set, spare mesh jackets, leathers from waaaay back, too many pairs of gloves to count, and a total of 6 "back-up" helmets in case one of the grandkids wants to ride. And who wants to buy a "used" helmet anyway? So we can't get rid of it all -- can we :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: