190/55 Tire Size Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Other Brian

Reaction score
I am about to order new tires for my 2010 FJR that I acquired in August of 2014. It came with Pilot Power's on it which were almost new at the time I bought it. I have put about 3000 miles on them and I want to have a set onhand to swap when the time comes.

The new ones will be Pilot Road 4's.

Everything I read tells me I should have a 120/70 ZR17 on the front and a 180/55 ZR17 on the rear. However, I have discovered that the rear Pilot Power is a 190/55 ZR17.

Here is my question, Is there any advantage to using a 190/55. I am leaning toward replacing it with the stock 180/55 size.

I have no reference point to compare the performane/handling of the FJR with larger size tire since I came to the FJR from a generation I Kawasaki Concours.

Does anyone have any experience with a larger tire on the rear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some like the bigger rear tire. Raises the bike a RCH and brings the speedo closer to true. There's no real compelling reason to use either size. Get the one that you like. I put a 190/55 on the rear at the last tire change. I like it for the height and speedo, so I'll keep using this size.

Totally up to you.

I had the same question. I ride with a Penske shock and have already lifted the bike a bit from stock, so probably not a lot of difference.

I am really getting anxious to ride again without worrying about ice and snow...I finally understand all the posts by guys preparing their bikes for the season. It was so much easier to just ride all year.

I have run the 190 55 for the last 3 tires, 1 PR2 and 2 PR4's. I cannot feel any difference but operate on the theory that they will last just as much longer as the circumference is increased. Yes, the speedo error is reduced as a side effect. My last rear PR4 lasted 14,507 miles. I have yet to buy a PR4 front as I prefer the PR2.

Since switching sizes, I have noticed that I drag footpegs significantly less, however, that could be due to my riding habits changing (Mostly commuting now) or the fear I have of the highway peg mounting bracket touching down (very close to the peg feeler as lean angle goes) and causing a crash.

Or it could be the added clearance from the different profile.

Most average riders will not tell the difference, but 190 will slow down your turn in just a little.

I went from a 180 B-spec ( higher load rating) to the 190 with nearly the same load rating, and think the tire soaks up the road a bit better. I'm another that will continue to run the 190. btw, chicken stripe wear is about the same.

I had the same question. I ride with a Penske shock and have already lifted the bike a bit from stock, so probably not a lot of difference.
I am really getting anxious to ride again without worrying about ice and snow...I finally understand all the posts by guys preparing their bikes for the season. It was so much easier to just ride all year.
Not only duz a 190 raise the rear ride hight, butt it also raises the axle hight a tad. (Which ride hight doesn't do.) This seems to improve the handling, and gives the rear mor "lift" whilst excereating through the corners.
punk.gif

The FJR does not have enough power to turn the larger tire. Stay with the stock tire or go Darkside and save even more money.
The FJR haz plenty of power to turn the larger tire, butt it duz raise the gearing, and I don't like that fer the 2nd gear goat trails I thrash.

What the bug said. And no, a 190 will not necessarily pass a darksider.

Brian, I like the stock tire 'cause if it's good enough for Mama Yama, it's good enough for me.

Also, the stock size is a little smaller = little lower seat height for parking lot maneuvers.

We don't (usually) care about chicken strips or dragging pegs.

Gotta love new PR4's on your new sweet ride!!!
punk.gif

I just burned a PR3 out (lots of slab) in 6000 miles ... I am not a light guy so maybe this is normal and please dont ask my weight (fat) and don't abuse me ..

I have read a lot of 190 tire threads as of late and it has me wondering if there would be any tire longevity increase ... The tire is "taller" right ? But is it any larger in general in a way that would give it enough more rubber to increase mileage ?

Id be a pig in crap if I ever could see 10k plus from a rear ...

I don't really ride extremely aggressively so the hendeling change is likely well within my limits. I am really interested in buying less tires ...

Any experience in this area would be appreciated ...

I've never realized any more mileage from a 190.

I still only get about 5500 per rear tire regardless of size.

The longest lasting rear tires I've ever used were PR2s.

Fortunately these are still available in 180/55.

Nothing lasts longer.

The FJR does not have enough power to turn the larger tire. Stay with the stock tire or go Darkside and save even more money.
Well that doesn't make much sense. Car tires are heavier and square so there's more weight to turn and more tire on the road to turn.

Plus you'll die using a CT, I've read it right here. Better to stay with the stock tire to be safe.

whistle.gif

I just burned a PR3 out (lots of slab) in 6000 miles ... I am not a light guy so maybe this is normal and please dont ask my weight (fat) and don't abuse me ..
I have read a lot of 190 tire threads as of late and it has me wondering if there would be any tire longevity increase ... The tire is "taller" right ? But is it any larger in general in a way that would give it enough more rubber to increase mileage ?

Id be a pig in crap if I ever could see 10k plus from a rear ...

I don't really ride extremely aggressively so the hendeling change is likely well within my limits. I am really interested in buying less tires ...

Any experience in this area would be appreciated ...
I never got any mor mileage outta a 190.

If you want the best mileage tire, I've heard Metzler ME880s are the mileage king, but don't have much grip. https://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_165_172_607&products_id=5595 I think they're biased ply too?

Or a PRII "B" spec would give you good wear w/ plenty of grip. Make sure ya keep air in the thing; 43/44 psi, and if yer slab'in you should make or break the 10K barrier. (I've heard of peeps slab'in to over 14K with 'em!)

Hell, I thrash twisties 'n got over 6K outta a T30.
party.gif
Came close to 8K outta a PRII once.