1960 BMW R60 /2 - She Runs after 19 years

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
1960 BMW R60.
Uncle Dutch's bike.
I think I bought it from Aunt Ruth in 1975.
Not run, started, since, 1994?
My shop, it's not much. But I do with what I have.
For example, that air hose is coming from where I have adequate power for the 20 year old air compressor, located at least 300 feet away.
Perhaps a bit over board with SparklyEffect...
As you can see, the final drive rear seal is shot. So are the brake shoes then.
Who cares, will the old girl start, after all this time?
The petcock is shot, it's the OEM one with cork as the seal.. and it needs to stay wet to retain intact.
This one has been dry for, about 30 years, so an alternate source of fuel is needed.
Such a sweet old motobike. I love the cockpit.
Want to make this bike a 'runner' and do a SS1K with Hal Risser on his FJR.
Just because.
15 years ago, put in new Castrol 10-30 oil.
This is what it looks like. Good enough to start, UnkDutch has been stored inside since last change.
The 'Key'. Yes, it fit all /2's.
Things were different in the 1960's.

Outstanding work my Friend, I'm proud of you! But you know something Brother, that /2 would look a Hell of a lot better if it was residing in Papa Chuy's AZ Garage! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mi Hermano Donaldo: I just love the exhaust sound of a Beemer /2, sounds exactly like a farting Nun! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Did you fog the nun's cylinder 19 years ago too?
flirt.gif

Interesting - I had a similar experience with a barn find /2 in 1995, a 1969 R69/2US,10,000 miles, same saddle as yours with Enduro bags.

Still had 1971 plates on it from when it was put away. Brought it home, cleaned the tank and carbs/plugs - started on the seventh kick.

Oh - by the way - my names Dutch . . .

Interesting - I had a similar experience with a barn find /2 in 1995, a 1969 R69/2US,10,000 miles, same saddle as yours with Enduro bags.Still had 1971 plates on it from when it was put away. Brought it home, cleaned the tank and carbs/plugs - started on the seventh kick.

Don't let BeemerDon know this info. He'll hound you unmercifully to but it, jes sayin and 'nuff said!

Now how cool is THAT!

Bikes have souls. Some are runners and some aren't. That one is a runner. It WANTED to run. Do it proud, get it back on the road and let it do what it was mean to do.

Good job Don. Slightly less complicated than stuff at the nike plant isn't it.
smile.png

I see the FJR engine is still where we left it. Don't rush into anything.
rolleyes.gif

Cool, gotta love it.

Done how many bikes are you going to try and restore at one time? Your going to drive Ray crazy!

Interesting - I had a similar experience with a barn find /2 in 1995, a 1969 R69/2US,10,000 miles, same saddle as yours with Enduro bags.Still had 1971 plates on it from when it was put away. Brought it home, cleaned the tank and carbs/plugs - started on the seventh kick.

Don't let BeemerDon know this info. He'll hound you unmercifully to buy it, jes sayin and 'nuff said!
So Dutch, do you still have the /2 and is it for sale?