1979 KZ1300 - horn placement and alternator oil leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2016-06-18 Alt Leak Fixed and Horn Placement?

Sure is nice to have some time to work on motobikes..

Thinking that the overheating issue might be solved, I moved onto where to place the loud-assed horns and attempting to fix a slight oil leak coming from the RHS alternator. Yes, this KZ1300 two alternators.

The horns were originally placed behind the fairing, on the stay. While they ARE loud, that location only scared the shit out of me. I'm going to try here, and be creative with the wiring.

I kind of like the look. The horns weigh next to nothing, I'm not worried about the additional unsprung weight.

The other side doesn't look as good, but is good enough. Up close shot.

Further away shot.

On to leak repair. It was leaking past the rubber grommet at bottom. I'm pretty sure that part is not available.

Given the amount of silicone on one of the bolts, it looks like the engine builder had trouble sealing it too.

Cleaned everything up and carefully reassembled. Time will tell. Did NOT start the bike to allow curing time. Should have done this with bike on side stand to keep oil off the sealing surfaces. Oh well.

Some delaminating occurring on the flywheel.. Not sure what to do about that.

..to be continued

Should you have to re-do the stator cover, Yamabond #4 (center case sealer)

would work excellent for that (but would need a an oil FREE, super clean).

Maybe some epoxy on the flywheel, especially where its loose?

Should you have to re-do the stator cover, Yamabond #4 (center case sealer)would work excellent for that (but would need a an oil FREE, super clean).

Maybe some epoxy on the flywheel, especially where its loose?
Maybe. I just happen to have a spare flywheel.. which I'll install then try to fix this one proper, while on the bench.

...I just happen to have a spare flywheel.. which I'll install then try to fix this one proper, while on the bench.
Good luck with that. Some flywheels won't come off even using C4. I've seen some flywheels make a puller's grade 8 hardware cry. I think I still have the bent bolts with my puller...

My old KLR's used a puller for the flywheel that was simply a very fine thread, wide diameter, super hardened
bolt.

After the crankshaft bolt was removed, you simply threaded the bolt(puller) into the flywheel that was threaded
inside and turned until it popped off.

The puller bolt, was about $10.00 (I have two different sizes).

Looking at some sites, you should be able to find the correct puller to fit that application.

The crankshaft end should be tappered:

Last edited by a moderator:
...I just happen to have a spare flywheel.. which I'll install then try to fix this one proper, while on the bench.
Good luck with that. Some flywheels won't come off even using C4. I've seen some flywheels make a puller's grade 8 hardware cry. I think I still have the bent bolts with my puller...
I know.. But Ray just put this one back on. I picked at the coating, the remaining portion is good enough for now. It's not flaking off or anything like that.

Actually, I'm surprised I'm not getting flack about the horns!

...Actually, I'm surprised I'm not getting flack about the horns!
Patriot will be along to LIKE your horns a lot.

The crankshaft will be tapered like Townie says, and tapping on the tapered flywheel as you torque up the puller helps a lot too.

A heat gun getting the tapered end of the flywheel if needed would help expand it and release it.

Damn, still have the paperwork on the pullers. Shows for a KZ1300a 1982, (Motion Pro) its part #08-0116 M18 x 1.5 R.H. external thread...

Here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0116-Flywheel-External/dp/B009J7O7J0?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Now that you mentioned the horn, I'd probably mount them up by the radiator.

Looks like you have two bolts on each side to work with.

You might consider the Stebal air horn in the fairing. I have mine mounted there on my FZ6 and

its VERY loud, even to several cars ahead of me...(and you can't see it at all):

Last edited by a moderator:
OK fine, The horns look like shit but it's your shit and with your road they might not last long anyway.
smile.png
I don't think the flywheel is an issue. I think there was a thread on the KZ1300 forum addressing that issue and the gurus there didn't worry about it.
smile.png