1st gear problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRealizer

Reaction score
I've had my FJR ABS 07 for 2 months now and it has run a little over 1.000 miles. Overall I'm very pleased with it but, it does have an annoying problem. Even when driving very slow I can't shift it from 2nd into 1st gear, without noise and a loud 'klunk' from the gearbox trying to get it into 1st. The problem is worse when the engine is warmed up, than right after I begin the trip. I complained about this at the first service but the dealer said everything is working normally, and instructed med to only shift 2nd to N to 1st at a complete stand still. The FJR manual tells that I can shit to 1st when below 25mph.

Would be grateful if you can tell me whether this is normal behavior for an FJR.

PS: Have tried the search function but didn't find any match

Mine clunks too. If you have ever ridden a bike with a chain it clunks too, but the chain has some free play to help with that. The shaft drive doesn't have that so you get an extra loud clunk when downshifting. Try putting a little pressure on the shifter before you shift.

Yes, these bikes have very loud trannys almost as bad as a dry clutch BMW, but not quite... Getting into first is the worst, no matter what the speed.

With a little practice you can lightly blip the throttle to help with this transition, but it still isn't as easy as a lot of other bikes (mostly those with chains as noted by E1A)

-MD