2 questions about intercoms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17287

Reaction score
I have some Christmas/birthday/Fathers day money to spend.

1st I am looking at 2 Autocom systems, the Active plus and Super Pro AVI. I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $100 for the Super Pro. Do any of you regret buying the Active plus over the Super Pro?

2cond where are you putting the FRS radio? Will it work under the seat or do I need to find a place where it is more handy?

Thanks!!

I just ordered the Active Pluse I can use that extra $100.00 for gas or other goodies just my .02 worth. As for the FRS radio my experince it needs to be top side not under the seat for the best results, also just my .02 worth of brain power.

LDR1

I have my autocom in my tankbag, My FRS came with a belt clip, I use the clip to hook the FRS to the outside pocket of

the tankbag. With the zipper closed on the clip it is very stable, plus this way if you receive a phone call, instead

of the other 5 guys hearing your conversation (if your using vox) you can just shut off the FRS...

I had the active 7 Plus, and upgraded to the AVI.

Much better VOX control, side winds used to trigger the mikes , with the feedback microphone the AVI doesn't do that as much.

My opinion, The AVI is probably the way to go. the extra $100 doesn;t mean much over the long haul...

I had the active 7 Plus, and upgraded to the AVI.
Much better VOX control, side winds used to trigger the mikes , with the feedback microphone the AVI doesn't do that as much.

My opinion, The AVI is probably the way to go. the extra $100 doesn;t mean much over the long haul...
I agree with Bearly Flying. I purchased the AVI & it works great. After waiting for a long time for my Autocom I didn't want to take a chance & regret going cheap.

Besides years later I'll never miss that c-note.

I have some Christmas/birthday/Fathers day money to spend.
1st I am looking at 2 Autocom systems, the Active plus and Super Pro AVI. I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $100 for the Super Pro. Do any of you regret buying the Active plus over the Super Pro?

2cond where are you putting the FRS radio? Will it work under the seat or do I need to find a place where it is more handy?

Thanks!!
I moved to the AVI from a Chatterbox based on the recommendation from others on the differences between the "other models" of Autocom as I was haven't "making it less that useful problems with the Chatterboxes" because of VOX and side winds. Once we got the noise sensors setup correctly, my wife and I have not had any problems. Once in a while, we'll get a wind break particularly on my wife's VStar 1300.

The FRS/GMRS radios have a vertically polarized antenna - thus the short antenna. They are not as nearly as good in when they are mounted horizontally and even worse horizontally next to metal. The worst would be one radio vertical and the other horizontal.

I got a eCaddy that I mounted on the right side reservoir handle bar bolts and used the belt clip to hold it. Easy to remove works great. I got the bar mount version for my wife's VStar 1300 and around the neighborhood - flat with 1 and 2 story houses - our range with the Kenwood GMRS/FRS radios is about 1 mile on low power. We don't talk a lot normally and the batteries last the complete day.

I mounted the AVI in the tailcone, had to get the Autocom radio lead extension to reach the right side bar, and ran the driver's headset plug between the tank and leading edge of the driver's seat. The passenger one is coil under the seat.

I went with the Plus and wasn't happy. Upgraded to the Pro and am very happy. volume control is a problem in the Plus, and, as has been already mentioned, the VOX trips when it shouldn't. For me it wasn't so much the side winds (which were a problem), but what really bugged me was it would trip every time I turned my head to check before a lane change. Really annoying I felt. The Pro never trips unless I want it to (I speak).

I don't have an FRS radio (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have older models (Pro 7) so can't speak to the Active Plus vs. Super Pro discussion........but as far as having the radios buried in the bike.....thats what we've been doing for the last 5 years with no problems at all. I even went to the stubby antenna a couple years back with no issues.

Now, with that said, Yes, if the radios were topside in the vertical position I'm sure we'd get better range, but we get a good half mile in the mountains and a good 2 miles in the flats, and I can't see needing any more than that........maybe on a rare occassion, but overall our radios are buried, in the horiz position, with stubby antenna and we communicate just fine!

Thanks to all of you for your ideas/suggestions!! I think I will be ordering the AVI today but I will have to wait on the FRS radio until I get a few more paychecks. I still have to do a lot more searching on the FRS radios to see which ones are better and have better range anyway. Thanks again!!!!

Looking at the autocom website it looks like they are coming out with a new model, something with a remote control. The last time they came out with a new model there was some nice discounts on the old models. Might be worth asking around a bit, or waiting until the model is released.

Also, have you tried Keith at Tulsa Truck Center? Quite a few forum members have used him with good success (including me): Keith Goudelock (pr. Godlock) at Tulsa Truck Center 918.446.2245. Not the cheapest prices, but very knowledgeable, ff course YMMV. Someday I am going to ride out to Tulsa to find out what truck centers have to do with motorcycles. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the guys I ride with is a Ham radio operator so only the best for him... He has a FRS with all the bells and whistles and then some, he said my $30 Motorola (for the pair) from Costco has the best clarity of any one's FRS's...

IF you go with the Motorola you'll have to get the cable from Autocom for it... All there cables are in the $60 range so be ready for that...

From FJrider1: he said my $30 Motorola (for the pair) from Costco has the best clarity of any one's FRS's

Thanks for that info, I was looking at FRS radios and they can get expensive.

v65, I called Keith today and he was a very very informative person!! I think we talked for about a 1/2 hour. I found out he also sells powerlet products and I will need some of that to run power back to a fuse block under the seat as well as to my tire pump. He said he has some brand new Pro 7s (the previous high end Autocom) available at a good price also but I am leaning toward the AVi. Thanks again for all the replys