2005 FJR possible purchase????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need your advice! I have a 2006 FJR which I sure enjoy. An old motorcycle buddy of mine (still riding a 83 Goldwing) is very interested in a 2005 FJR on the floor at a local Yamaha Dealer. Apparently a lady had owned it and didn't use it much and it has only 3600 miles on it. The bike is in pretty good shape, but does have a couple of scuffs on the paint. My friend is only 5'7" and I was worried that the bike would be too tall for him but he says he can pretty much flat foot in while on the bike. He thinks the former female owner had the bike lowered. The bike shop is asking $7999 for the bike.

SO......my questions are:

1) do they indeed make lowering kits for the Gen 1 FJRs? What is involved in lowering an FJR and how does it affect handling/cornering clearance?

2) is $7999 a fair price for such a bike? My buddy has offered them $7500 which they have not agreed to at this time.

Sure would be nice to get this guy on an FJR, just want to help him make a good decision on this 2005!

Steve Kirsch

Rapid City, SD

They can be lowered and many have. Keep in mind that everything is closer to the ground and will touch down easier depending on how your friend rides.

The price may be a bit optomistic depending on any farkles and if there is any waranty left.

$7,999 sounds like a pretty good price, down my way. Check cycletrader and kelly's blue book online, for something to compare it to.

I have an 05 and I love it. I lowered it about 1" with a new rear-shock set-up. I need to warn you about one thing -- some 05's, like mine, had to have the "tick" fix. There was a factory defect with some of the valve guides which would be very expensive to fix without a warranty. The problem tends to develop and become noticeable after 12000 plus miles (mine was not obvious until 22k).

Yamaha may still cover the "tick" fix if your bike shows signs of a valve guide problem down the road -- but you should research this. I know MM2 has his 05 in the shop right now for the tick fix which Yamaha is covering.

I have an '05 and I am 5'8" tall with a 32 inch inseam and can almost flat-foot mine so I doubt that bike has been lowered.

Don't let him get the bike because he will be constantly hounding you to go ride and asking questions about farkles and stuff like that. Very annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dove tailing off of Rick N Sac, what is his inseam? Mine is also 32" and I sit flat footed with bent knees. Bike is not lowered.

Is the '05 ABS? It was still an option. Last summer my '05FJR w/ABS (2,300 total miles) blue booked at $9,500. Non-ABS is usually about a grand less.

7500 or below is a good price...try to get some farkles on top of the lower price to sweeten the deal. I sold my 05 for more $$ - I was looking to go smaller-FZ1- but you can't beat an FJ for mileage, comfort, versatility.....and so on....

I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and I can almost flat foot it without any lowering, shouldn't be a problem for him.

That's a pretty good price too.

Check the dogbones. If they have 3 holes, they are adjustable and thats an easy fix. If the person had a custom shock made, that is not such an easy fix.

I wouldn't buy an FJR without ABS, but that's just my opinion. I would definatley not offer more than 7500 is it doesn't have ABS.

If it did have ABS, 7900 really isn't that bad considering how low the milage is.