2005 Model issues? Feedback needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance first & foremost. I am coming off from riding cruiser's over the past 5yrs and have my eye on a couple of lightly used 2005 model's. I've done some research on this site but I wanted to ask a few questions. Again I'm totally new to not only the FJR but even sport touring bikes in general. Here's my questions: (I have looked at the Comparo Matix as well)

- I see the 2005 model is the last of the Gen I bikes, is there anything I should be aware of with the 2005 model in particular? Issues? Things to watch for?

- Is there a particular year FJR that is known to have more issues than another or a year to avoid purchasing?

- What is this spider wiring issue I read about on here sometimes? Is that something fixed by a recall or is it only effecting certain year FJR's?

- Would a 2006 or 2007 Gen II bike be significantly better? If so, please explain

- Is getting 100k miles on a FJR (with good regular maintenance) too far fetched to expect?

Finally what would be considered a fair price to pay a private seller for a very good condition 2005 model with less than 10k miles on it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be getting one pretty soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer any of your more technical questions, but I can say that I absolutely LOVE my '05. Plus, everyone knows the blue ones are faster!

Yes, there is a heat issue that (reportedly) was addressed in later models. Look back in the forum archives for the Cromiet heat fix and other mods to take care of most of that problem. That, plus wear your gear! The heat is worse through a thin layer of denim than it is through riding pants.

I keep hearing that Yamaha improved the FJR through the years, but I cannot imagine it getting much better than my ride. There are not nearly enough miles on her, but we've been through 500+ mile days from NC to Daytona and also through 200 mile romps through the twisties, never with a complaint, and always with more to give.

I have kept up with the maintenance, done all the syncs and other services as recommended. The thought of having to give her up dreaded day breaks my heart. After going through several other bikes and styles the FJR finally is THE bike that fits me perfectly.

Hope you get a good deal on a very well maintained machine. Remember that the WORST thing that could happen is that you pay a little too much for a fabulous bike!

I have the 05 and have had only one major problem with it and that is the dreaded ticker in the motor. If it is a ticker and you hear it run which I would assume you would do you will no it right away. Yamaha fixed mine when it had 14k on it and no problems since. The Gen 1 bikes IMHO have a little more whomp than the Gen2s. The Gen 1 bikes will pull the front end easier than the Gen2 if that interest you. I have 42k on mine now and the only things I have had to do to it was fork seals and I put a after market rear shock on, the stock one went away at around 35k. It does eat up tires some but not all that bad for a heavy bike with all that torque.

I ride pretty hard and have a tendency to loft the front end fairly often and the bike has held up really well. I don't think there is another sport tourer out there that can compare to the feej

I also love my 05 (the fast blue one). No major issues, I replaced the fork seals at 21k but other then that its oil changes and washes. The spyder issue is for the GEN 2s. As far as the heat you tend to get used to it in the hotter months and the mods to fix the heat issues are pretty easy. I also agree that the gen 1s are a bit more sporty due to the 2 inch shorter swingarm which helps with the front getting light. However if thats not your thing just dont wack the throttle in 1st and problem is solved. There are several people on the forum that have well over 100k so reliablity shouldnt be a problem for you. I have around 23k on mine and it still feels new. I personally like the feel of the gen 1s more then the gen 2s.Not quite sure what it is, but they just seem to fit nicer. Major differences are faring design to help with heat flow, swing arm length, the gen 2s have a different dash that show adverage mpg and instant along with a gear indicator and a larger tripometer, more bars on the gas and temp gauge aswell. Im sure im missing some stuff but over all like i said i prefer the gen 1 and dont really mind not haveing all the dash crap. Hope this helps! :)

I will try to answer most of your questions: Gen 1 bike do get hot if stuck in traffic and a lot of us like to travel with more then a half a tank of gas to use it as a heat sink. I do sometime run mine low and when I fill it up in the summer you can tell the difference. AS for other issues I have none. I replaced my rear shock with an after market one about 4 years ago at about 40k, I now have 83K. So yes it will go 100K. Do not know when the super thing started mine does not have the issue. I did get my engine redone caused by the famous ticking at no cost by Yamaha. That was at 13K. Do not know if a Gen II is better and do not care as I have serial number 456 and will never let mine go. Price to pay is what ever you can afford and how bad you want it. What are they asking? I am thinking anything over 5K may be to much but you never know these days. It is a lot of bike. Things to ask. Has the all the fluids been replaced and by whom and when was it last done. Is the rear shock and front shocks original? Id the stock seat on it. Do they still have the saddle bags and the covers? Stock windshield or replacement and if replaced do they still have stock one. Start there and PM me any more questions or things you want to know.

I ride an 05... and I love it. One issue for you might be the anti lock brakes. I have them, but remember that they were an option on the 05. They are standard on the Gen II's, but they are linked (don't know if this matters to ya). However the antilock brakes on the 05's are not. I will never own a bike that doesn't have ABS again. The heat issue turns out to be a wonderful thing when the weather gets cool, for what it's worth. An obvious diff: 05's are cheaper because they're older. They are also slightly lighter. Also keep in mind that the ticking issue was rare. Many have said on this forum that the 05's were the best of the Gen 1's. I'm so glad I got an FJR. As I've said on this forum before, I thought I was all done riding. My naked bike (91 GSX100G Suzuki) sat in the shed for nearly a year before I sold it. I just didn't want to ride it, and i was thinking that riding a bike had just lost it's appeal for me. Then a year later, I got the itch for an FJR and haven't stopped riding it since. It still gives me a thrill every time I get on it again. It's like owning a little piece of magic.

I paid 6500 for mine a year ago w/ just under 4k miles on it, with a corbin and the original seats, and 2 windshields. Hope that helps. Have seen em from 4200 to 7000 this past year... check the classified section of this website. Be patient: these things are for sale all the time. For what it's worth, don't be afraid of miles on an FJR. Be afraid of somebody that didn't take care of it. Also, generally speaking, you can trust the opinions of the guys on this forum. There's a lot of experience here, so stay in touch and make sure to ask a lot of questions.

Gary

darksider #44

I think your biggest problem picking a gen 1 bike will be to make sure you do not get a ticker.

That being excessive exhaust valve guide wear. If by chance you get one I don't know whether you'll be able to get yamamoma to fix it at this late date.I've heard of others who have gotten yamaha to pick up the parts end with you paying labor charges, I don't now if they'll even do that now.

I've had an 04 ticker and they picked up the whole tab, around $3300 but I had the warranty then in 05. I'd say if you can get a low mileage gen1 for the right price without mechanical issues you'll love the bike. I've since owned an 06 and now i'm back to an 05 low mileage bike.

Coming off a cruiser you'll be going from a go cart to a formula one car in performance. If you're in the N, Ga area you can check out my bike.

I'm close to Helen.

I just bought my first FJR a few weeks ago and I love it. I paid $6700 and it has 2200 miles on it and is in pristine condition. I spent the last 6 years on a 05 warrior. A nice ride itself buy I was ready for a change. The slight forward lean takes a bit to get used to. I kinda feel like Im in training for longer rides to come. I hear you should check the fork bearing nut. I hear a klunk when i run over rail-road tracks. These are really nice bikes go get you an 05 you'll love it!

Mechanically the bike is almost unchanged since its introduction. Minor changes in electronics, but it's the same motor and transmission since day one.

The Gen-II bikes have ABS standard, and have different bodywork, supposedly for better heat management. Never rode one, couldn't say. I ride a gen-I (2003) in Florida, and don't have an issue with heat.

2005 might have ABS. If the pistons on the front are blue, it's not ABS.

Tickers were by far the exception rather than the rule, and by this time I'd think they've been pretty well filtered out of the population.

All the "which year?" garbage isjust that: garbage. They're all the same bike.

Except the 2003s, which ARE quicker, due to shorter gearing up to that year. :D

The spider problem (ground spiders overloaded and burning up) has not been a Gen I issue. Same with almost all ignition switch issues. The Gen I also experienced far fewer (or next to no) surging issues off idle.

The Gen I's are the only ones that had ticker issues (exhaust valve guides that wear excessively). Fortunately, Yamaha has been pretty good about fixing those even outside warranty, but who knows how long that will be the case (e.g., when one starts ticking at 35,000 miles 8-10 years after it was initially sold). BTW, the tick fix is to install new exhaust valve guides (same new part number as was used '06 and later) and exhaust valves, so it's not a problem that recurs after the tick has been fixed.

An issue to watch, no matter the year is cam chain tensioner failure and cam chain stretch. The FJR is an "interference" or "crasher" motor, so resulting mistimed cams can cause valves and pistons to collide and have seriously F'ed a few engines in cases well documented here.

Heat -- all big motorcycle engines make big heat, and the heat plant is between your legs. The Gen II manages it better than the Gen I, but the Gen I is better than a number of other sport touring and GT bikes out there, like the ST 1300. I've owned my '05 since it had 1 mile on it, and heat has never been a problem for me. Don't know whether it's my particular bike or me. YMMV

You should be able to pick up a low mileage '05 for between $5K and $7K, depending on condition, ABS, included farkles and time of year. They can go 200K+ miles on a motor, so there's a lot of life left in a 10K mile bike. I'd think you can probably find a <10K mile '05 with ABS this late in the riding season, pretty much in stock condition (few or no farkles) for around $5.5 to $6K. But check the classifieds for a more up to date set of data points.

My '05 ticked and Yamaha fixed it at 29K miles -- it now has almost 48K miles on it. By far the best all around bike I've owned or ridden in the 44 years I've been riding motorcycles on the streets. I'd buy another '05 ABS in a heartbeat.

88k on my faster Galaxy Blue '05 FJR and it is the best of all the ten bikes I have owned.

The heat issues are easily remedied and make this a great bike to ride.

The Gen I bikes are lighter than the Gen II models but the Gen II's have had some improvements made to them, like better air flow, longer wheelbase and a taller fifth gear, which make them a nicer (not better) bike to ride.

But not enough better that I want to get rid of my '05 for one.

My '05 runs great - it ate a new BMW M5 for breakfast while on the way to work this morning!

Forgive my ignorance first & foremost. I am coming off from riding cruiser's over the past 5yrs and have my eye on a couple of lightly used 2005 model's. I've done some research on this site but I wanted to ask a few questions. Again I'm totally new to not only the FJR but even sport touring bikes in general. Here's my questions: (I have looked at the Comparo Matix as well)

- I see the 2005 model is the last of the Gen I bikes, is there anything I should be aware of with the 2005 model in particular? Issues? Things to watch for?

- Is there a particular year FJR that is known to have more issues than another or a year to avoid purchasing?

- What is this spider wiring issue I read about on here sometimes? Is that something fixed by a recall or is it only effecting certain year FJR's?

- Would a 2006 or 2007 Gen II bike be significantly better? If so, please explain

- Is getting 100k miles on a FJR (with good regular maintenance) too far fetched to expect?

Finally what would be considered a fair price to pay a private seller for a very good condition 2005 model with less than 10k miles on it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be getting one pretty soon!
I bought my 05 FJR ABS version new in July 2005. 37,000 miles later, it is hard to imagine a finer motorcycle. Maintain it and love it and you will be hard pressed to find any reason to trade it in on something else. Even with all the new bikes coming out from other companies, Yamaha hit it right on the head with the FJR. I cannot speak to the Gen II variants although I have no reason to think they are anything but just as fine if not better than the Gen I. Big fan of the 2005 FJR here. Stable, fast, versatile, good looking, great dealer network. Get it and ride.

Ya, what they ^^^ all said. I love my '05. 77K miles runs like a champ. Keep up with the maintenance, etc you'll be fine. 2005 is the best year. '05 owners have a special bond with their bike that the non '05 owners don't understand. Maybe Fred will come along and explain...

Thanks for all the input! I'll keep all these points in mind as I shop for a good lightly used FJR. I'd love to have a good touring bike like this where you can put big miles on it and not have to worry about it!!!

Why an '05 is the best FJR (for me).

by Fred W

'05's are arguably less likely to leave you stranded in BFE due to some bullshit electrical problem (ignition switch or spider meltdown). Granted, both of these are recalled items (finally) but the 1st gens never had them. It just gives me more confidence in the older design wiring harnesses.

They are a splendid shade of Bass Bote Blue. :p

Since I ride anytime that there isn't snow on the ground, the first gen supposed "heat problem" is actually a benefit for at least half of my riding season. Yeah, riding a 1300cc bike in traffic is hot when it is 90 degrees or higher. Doh! It's very tolerable at any temperature as long as you keep moving. It won't leave me stranded. And it's still blue.

I have 50k miles on mine and am still running the original valves (no ticking), the original fork seals (I don't do many wheelies) and the original rear shock (I have a lightweight pillion).

The Bass Bote Blue color is quite attractive.

The first gens do not have those adjustable airflaps, which do not seem to do anything except confuse people on which position does which.

The '05 seems to have fewer incidences of tickers and sloppy CCTs (or eventual CCT failures) than the two earlier first gen years. But in both cases that may just be because by '05 these issues were better understood and folks quietly took care of them.

Blue is fast. And did I mention it looks so darned good? :huh:

Seriously, you can't go far wrong with any year FJR.

If it's a 1st gen, try to get one with ABS and listen for the tick.

If it's a second gen, just get the recalls done and install the Brodie or roadrunner harnesses for ignition and spiders.

Welcome Roller! How's the Ga 109ers doing? You have recieved some good info, I'll just add my 2cts. Several bikes have come and gone out of my garage while having my 2005 FJR including the 109 that I chased Chad and the rest of the bunch around on in your back yard see-here with,good times. :rolleyes: Where you live you need this motorcycle! Great bike that does many things well, I have no complaints about mine other then it is a nonABS model and if I had it to do over I would probably look for one with abs.

Here is a road trip report that I did when I was over on the 109 board. And the best farkle by far is an honest to goodness cruise control. Happy shopping! :clapping:

And as for high milage here is the list