2006 FJR Texas Fuel Average (through 2300)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stump

Reaction score
Well, I have ridden my 2006 FJR1300AE about 2,300 miles and I am averaging 39.23mpg (unadjusted).

The actual fuel log can be seen in the pdf below:

www.StumpWare.com/Shanes_FJR1300AE_2006_RunningFuelLog.pdf

I am wondering how others in Texas are averaging in non-city riding (I live in the country so I don't do much big city traffic riding) :) !

Best regards,

Shane

I live in the country and commute to the city. 05 with +7 mod, commute is mix of county highway & city. Avg: 45mpg consistent. Never varies by more than 1.

It depends on if I'm in an area with oxygenated fuel or not. When commuting in the DFW area, high 30's is typical. When outside of metro areas and using real fuel, I've gotten as high as 52 mpg on a few tanks.

It's right wrist dependent. City driving:mid thirties. Highway riding:as high as 50mpg. (70mph on the highway get's 50mpg)

Havent noticed much of a difference with how much wrist is involved. Pretty large fluctuations between highway and city though. Did some long (and aggressive) days (in situations that did not require stop and go) when out in N.C this year and averaged 47.5. City driving got me right around 41.

Now thats all after the barbarian mod (with +7) on the 06. Before the mod, subtract 3 from each of the above numbers.

Greygoose

Havent noticed much of a difference with how much wrist is involved. Pretty large fluctuations between highway and city though. Did some long (and aggressive) days (in situations that did not require stop and go) when out in N.C this year and averaged 47.5. City driving got me right around 41.
Now thats all after the barbarian mod (with +7) on the 06. Before the mod, subtract 3 from each of the above numbers.

Greygoose
I'm going to try and keep her until 80 this coming Saturday in the Hill Country and see what I average!

Thanks for all the replies.

Shane

My '06 with +7 CO gets an average of 40.5 mpg on DFW crap gas. I've not had a chance to take a trip outside the DFW area as yet to report on non-oxy fuel range.

I'm at about 2600 on my 06 and I tend to average 45 mpg or better with only about 20% of my time in the DFW metromess.

I use my FJR almost exclusively to commute to/from Dallas for work, 305 miles a week (about 20 miles of which is stop-n-go). Normal riding (for me) gives me 44-46MPG, but I did get almost 50MPG on one tank that I intentionally tried to drive very conservatively with.

I use my FJR almost exclusively to commute to/from Dallas for work, 305 miles a week (about 20 miles of which is stop-n-go). Normal riding (for me) gives me 44-46MPG, but I did get almost 50MPG on one tank that I intentionally tried to drive very conservatively with.
It seems the big difference is that most of y'all are riding in slower traffic and thus getting more MPG. The highest average I got was 47 and that was a day I rode to visit a friend in the hospital in Houston.

Best Regards,

Shane

I know this is a Texas gas mpg, but if you think your gas is bad, ok, fuel is bad, try Ca. fuel. It sucks. I can get 6-8 mpg more on out of state gas than in state fuel. Usually get 40-44 in state and up to 50 on out of state fuel but only once coming out of Oregon. Now at triple digits I hav gotten as low as 30.

Just for grins, I reset the average mpg just before entering an interstate and drove about 10 miles doing 65-70 before exiting. It was averaging 54 mpg. So far, it is as odot stated.

It seems the big difference is that most of y'all are riding in slower traffic and thus getting more MPG. The highest average I got was 47 and that was a day I rode to visit a friend in the hospital in Houston.
my higher mileages were out in the high deserts of NM. i can assure you i get worse mileage with slower,in town speeds than the multiple tanks of 52mpg i got when i was able to use fuel that wasn't oxygenated.

my higher mileages were out in the high deserts of NM. i can assure you i get worse mileage with slower,in town speeds than the multiple tanks of 52mpg i got when i was able to use fuel that wasn't oxygenated.
Shane,

I fill up in Arlington or Fort Worth and my average (for about 1200 miles ) is now showing 47 mpg (unadjusted).

My mileage shot up after that $110/hour 600 mile service.

I ride mostly north and west of the metromess on Sundays.

FJRayJ

Shane,

I fill up in Arlington or Fort Worth and my average (for about 1200 miles ) is now showing 47 mpg (unadjusted).

My mileage shot up after that $110/hour 600 mile service.

I ride mostly north and west of the metromess on Sundays.

FJRayJ
I am going to see if I can keep my speed about 70 for a WHOLE tank this Saturday and see how I do.

Best Regards,

Shane

After I got my Instant MPG repaired and played around with it for the weekend, I have changed my opinion that MPG is right wrist dependent. It is actually much more left foot dependant. If you short shift the bike and keep the RPM's under about 3000 all the time, the mileage stays up around 50 whether around town or on the road. At 3000 RPM on the highway, or about 60 MPH the mileage stays way over 50. At 70 it goes down to about 45, at 80 about 40 etc.

It is definately not much fun to ride the bike that. Hell, you might as well ride a scooter as ride a FJR under 3000 RPM all the time. It will however make your gas mileage got way up. It will probably save a lot of tire wear too.

Tom

IBA 161

Well, I have ridden my 2006 FJR1300AE about 2,300 miles and I am averaging 39.23mpg (unadjusted).
The actual fuel log can be seen in the pdf below:

www.StumpWare.com/Shanes_FJR1300AE_2006_RunningFuelLog.pdf

I am wondering how others in Texas are averaging in non-city riding (I live in the country so I don't do much big city traffic riding) :) !

Best regards,

Shane
:rolleyes: Hello Shane,

I ride my bike to work sometimes and that involves a lot of passing gravel trucks on a two lane highway, so there is a lot of acceleration bursts. I have already taken a couple of long distance multi-day trips on the '06, so far average mileage is just under 44 mpg. I have gotten over 50 mpg on some of my long multi-day rides. :rolleyes: