2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintjoh

Reaction score
I'm seeking an understanding of how Yamaha factory heated grips work on an '06 FJR 1300AE. If you have one, take a shot at these.

1. Do they work on any setting with air temp. of 80 F?

2. How long does it take for them to warm up?

3. Do they provide any warmth at an idle?

I can't reply directly to your questions, but I've had an '06 AE since June '06. Grips get plenty hot (I live in lower alabama, and it doesn't get that cold during the winter)

I've had them be warm in just a few minutes (less than 5)

I'm not sure how the RPM affects the ability to provide current to the heaters, but I've never noticed any cold hands!

I don't think that outside air temp (directly as in "electromechanically") or engine speed has anything to do with the heated grips. You turn the rheostat, the wires get hot, you get toast!

Mine warm up pretty quickly. You can feel the heat begin immediately with your bare hand. How hot you perceive that they get depends on how fast you are going and how cold it is outside (airspeed sucking off the heat when it's cold out). Of course how thick your gloves are, and what they are made of masks a bit of difference, too.

clintjoh,

I have a 06 AE and here is my observations to your questions,

1. Ambient air temperature has nothing to do with the grips heat, when switched on it has a minimum heat setting relative to the rheostat setting (see answer # 3) - Yesterday I accidentally bumped the rheostat to #5 and my hands were burning up before I realized what was going on! It was 92 deg F @ 94% humidity! :huh:

2. Without Grip Puppies[SIZE=12pt]© 3 to 5 minutes to achieve minimum heat setting, with Grip Puppies© 5 to 7 minutes[/SIZE]

3. The factory grips are speed sensitive - well engine/gear sensitive. Whether you have an AE (standard heated grips) or an A model (with optional factory installed grips) the voltage is governed in relationship to the gear/speed you are in/at. At idle (this is not the exact Yamaha description) the grips get say 8 volts supplied to the heating elements (remember that is relative to the rheostat setting that you have selected). As your speed/gears increase, the voltage to the grips increase to a maximum top range, thereby heating up the grips as speed increases. As you slow/stop, the voltage lowers to the grips. This keeps your hands at a relative temperature. Now I have noticed that if I selected the MAX heat range on the rheostat, as I increase speed, the difference in grip heat is minimal.

Hope that helps!

Violione

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't reply directly to your questions, but I've had an '06 AE since June '06. Grips get plenty hot (I live in lower alabama, and it doesn't get that cold during the winter)I've had them be warm in just a few minutes (less than 5)I'm not sure how the RPM affects the ability to provide current to the heaters, but I've never noticed any cold hands!
Thanks for the info.
I don't think that outside air temp (directly as in "electromechanically") or engine speed has anything to do with the heated grips. You turn the rheostat, the wires get hot, you get toast! Mine warm up pretty quickly. You can feel the heat begin immediately with your bare hand. How hot you perceive that they get depends on how fast you are going and how cold it is outside (airspeed sucking off the heat when it's cold out). Of course how thick your gloves are, and what they are made of masks a bit of difference, too.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I need to figure out what is wrong with mine.
clintjoh,I have a 06 AE and here is my observations to your questions,1. Ambient air temperature has nothing to do with the grips heat, when switched on it has a minimum heat setting relative to the rheostat setting (see answer # 3) - Yesterday I accidentally bumped the rheostat to #5 and my hands were burning up before I realized what was going on! It was 92 deg F @ 94% humidity! :huh: 2. Without Grip Puppies[SIZE=12pt]© 3 to 5 minutes to achieve minimum heat setting, with Grip Puppies© 5 to 7 minutes3. The factory grips are speed sensitive - well engine/gear sensitive. Whether you have an AE (standard heated grips) or an A model (with optional factory installed grips) the voltage is governed in relationship to the gear/speed you are in/at. At idle (this is not the exact Yamaha description) the grips get say 8 volts supplied to the heating elements (remember that is relative to the rheostat setting that you have selected). As your speed/gears increase, the voltage to the grips increase to a maximum top range, thereby heating up the grips as speed increases. As you slow/stop, the voltage lowers to the grips. This keeps your hands at a relative temperature. Now I have noticed that if I selected the MAX heat range on the rheostat, as I increase speed, the difference in grip heat is minimal.Hope that helps!Violione[/SIZE]
Violione,Thanks for your help. Have you ever taken off the tupperware just below the little storage compartment by the heat controller? Are the wires the grips plug into black and the other gray? Do you have a two-wire white plug and and two-wire blue plug?Thanks,Clint

I live in AZ and the first time I washed the bike, 2 weeks ago, I accidently turned them on. It was 105 out and I didnt get 100yards from my driveway before the grips got so hot I could barely hold on. They were on and set ti HI