2006 Russell Day-Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel

Reaction score
So I ordered my Russell back in late June with an 8/29 production date....

I was very happy to see it waiting for me at home today, 8/7 :yahoo:

I should note that the smuggler doesn't just drop into place like it does with the stock seat.

One does need to pull up on the outer supports a little to get the smuggler in....not a big deal.

Pictures.

209426849_1f71eaa36f_o.jpg

209426752_bf618e2f55_o.jpg

209426680_2b04373ebc_o.jpg

209426556_b3f9ae01f2_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me si confused... Is that a Corbin Smugler with the Russel? or do they make a Smuggler too?

:blink: :huh:

The Russell is growing on me, perhaps it's not so ugly after all?

So D, how is it getting your feet to the ground? Do you feel like you get planted better than with the stock seat? My fat thighs don't let my 28 inseam get to the ground very well, and Russell was very tentative about making me a seat.

Whaddya think?

Looks VERY choice, btw!

So D, how is it getting your feet to the ground? Do you feel like you get planted better than with the stock seat? My fat thighs don't let my 28 inseam get to the ground very well, and Russell was very tentative about making me a seat.
Whaddya think?

Looks VERY choice, btw!

1) I do sit higher on the bike, noticed this immediately before putting my feet down. After 50 miles on the bike I can't tell anymore.

2) I can't flat-foot the bike anymore unless I slide forward to the tank.

Luckily, I have a 33" inseam so it's not that big a deal for me. Now the heel of one foot is off the ground 1" or 2" compared to both feet on the ground. I'll get used to it. I think the Russell might be problematic for those with short inseams.

3) The stock seat offers better grip, just because of the texture of the 06 seat cover.

The only sliding done in the russell is forward and backwards *by my choice*....The outer supports keep me in place and there is no sliding from side to side.

BTW, the seat is covered in vinyl

Last edited by a moderator:
After about 1800 miles I'm really happy with the Russell.

Breaking in really well...the seat feels natural and I can flat foot the bike again...(I guess my legs stretched) :p

About using with the smuggler........

As seen and mentioned above, the smuggler does not just drop into place, one has to wrestle with the outer supports on the seat to get the smuggler to drop in.

If you're one who is always getting into the storage area under the seat then I think you'll find it's kind of a PINA to get the smuggler and Russell seated back in place. Initially I was just happy that they would fit together and I didn't think much of it.....but now I can see that it will likely be aggravating for those who regularly need to access the under-seat storage so this combo may not be for everyone.

I love it though! :D

So D, how is it getting your feet to the ground? Do you feel like you get planted better than with the stock seat?
Hrungh?

I've always thought that focusing on how the seat feets you when the bike isn't moving is kinda, well... missing the point. :blink:

What's it like after the 600th mile of the day? 800th? more?