2006A shaft drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
So I am riding my bike home from running errands and park in the garage. I come back in the garage to find the deepest black oil dripping from the area that connects the shaft to the wheel. I took to my dealer on a friday afternoon for inspection. they could not do anything that late and asked me to bring back this monday morning. I am guessing that I lost about 1-3 ounces of shaft oil. The leak is obviously a probelm but I am even more concerned with the dirt in the oil. My dealer agreed and he thought it was very used motor oil until I showed the leak. The bike has 3500 miles and I am deeply concerned. The dealer plans to take the entire shaft apart to inspect and replace / relube as needed. Has anyone experienced this problem? And can anyone help me direct my dealer to look for a specific problem in the shaft or oil?

Thanks in advance.

Good riding weather is hear! Ride safe but quickly.

So I am riding my bike home from running errands and park in the garage. I come back in the garage to find the deepest black oil dripping from the area that connects the shaft to the wheel. I took to my dealer on a friday afternoon for inspection. they could not do anything that late and asked me to bring back this monday morning. I am guessing that I lost about 1-3 ounces of shaft oil. The leak is obviously a probelm but I am even more concerned with the dirt in the oil. My dealer agreed and he thought it was very used motor oil until I showed the leak. The bike has 3500 miles and I am deeply concerned. The dealer plans to take the entire shaft apart to inspect and replace / relube as needed. Has anyone experienced this problem? And can anyone help me direct my dealer to look for a specific problem in the shaft or oil?Thanks in advance.

Good riding weather is hear! Ride safe but quickly.
That sucks! But more than a few have found the rear splines near dry when the final drive assembly was checked (mine was). And a lot of torque specifications at the factory or at dealer setup seem to be way the hell off too. But all should be covered under warranty...... at least there is a silver lining. There are threads discussing the dirty rear drive lube too.........

Mine did the same thing https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18381 at 29,000 miles. Looks like this might be a problem with most 06s. The wait was caused by the parts that had to be ordered. 2 oil seals, O ring, and a nut per the service manual. I had them order 2 of each so I have the parts ready if there is a next time. The tech wasn't sure it was the seals because he said some of the parts were not cleaned properly before they were assembled. We all know there are no poor assembly prosedures at the factory. Ha! I guess we will have to see if this is the fix. :unsure: