2007 Won't stay in 4th gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeksnake

Not dead, just smell that way
Reaction score
'07 FJR1300A with 31K on the clock and I have YES on it.

The symptoms began as rare missed shifts from 3rd to 4th (let the clutch out before gear was fully engaged and it made a "gear gnashing" noise.) When that happened, I would pull the clutch in and POSITIVELY shift before letting the clutch out. A few weeks ago, I noticed that 4th gear would sometimes drop back into 3rd gear. Now, I can shift into 4th, apply throttle, but within a second or two it will drop into 3rd. I thought I figured out a work around by shifting twice (from 3rd to 5th) and dropping it back into 4th. Unfortunately, that only buys me a few more seconds... It still drops back into 3rd gear (it never jumps into 5th).

I've spent a couple of hours reading this forum (thanks for documenting your saga Ponyfool!) My issue sounds like bent shift fork/worn gear dog but I thought I'd ask folks more experienced than I. My hope is that I've mis-diagnosed the problem and it's something "simple" like clutch plates.

It ain't clutch plates. You have a tranmission problem. :( Most likely what you suspect.

Have never heard of a problem with 4th gear - odd. Usually it's 2nd gear.

Are you still under warranty? If so, HOPEFULLY it will be covered. If not, maybe you can ponyfool to do it for you. :rolleyes:

Isn't it 3rd or 4th that has a redesign on it? Anyway, if it's popping out up or down, I'd say the fork more than the gears.

Well, ya know, if the problem is the shifter fork the whole engine will have to be removed and disassembled to get to the bad part(s). On the other hand, if it turns out to be the dogs on 4th gear are bad the whole engine will have to be removed and disassembled to get to the bad part(s). :blink:

Gear dogs are a wear-out or break item, your problem started suddenly which leaves out wear, and you aren't having engagement issues or total lack of power transmission in 4th gear so I vote shifter fork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

I have the extended warranty through Y.E.S. (HUGE thank you to D&H Cycle). Next step is to take it to a dealership and see if it will be covered (doubtful).

Stay tuned...

Hoping not to hijack, but -

A couple of questions on this subject. While you gurus are gathered.

Could clutchless shifting contribute to bent forks? Clutch adjustment?

Accelerating, it's gotten so I leave the clutch lever alone most of the time. It's become a habit,

and I'd read that it should have no negative effects on the tranny. Am I wrong?

These bent fork posts are worrying me.

Soooo,............... no NAFO eeksnake?

IMO, the dogs don't just wear instantly, there would have been other symptoms before dropping into another gear. This to me sounds more like a shift fork issue or possibly the shift drum.

Thankfully you have YES and won't have to do it yourself. However, doing it yourself isn't all that difficult. Hell, if I can do it......

A couple of questions on this subject. Could clutchless shifting contribute to bent forks?

Clutch adjustment?
I'll take a stab at an answer:

You only, really, need the clutch to get going (and stop in gear). The motorcycle constant-mesh transmission has all the gears meshed all the time and the rider (with the foot lever and shift mechanism -- ratchet, drum, forks, etc) slides a dog mechanism which locks a certain gear to its shaft to transfer power. It doesn't even need the clutch to do this -- just 'bang away' on the shift lever and it'll shift! But, a slight pause in the power delivery thru the gear-box eases things alot -- you can do this just by briefly rolling-off the throttle and careful shift timing and technique.

Bent forks happen -- but, probably not from 'proper' shifting (with or without using the clutch...).

'ionbeam': Gear dogs are a wear-out or break item, your problem started suddenly which leaves out wear
While everything wears, gears and their dogs are really long lived. The dogs will round-off if allowed to not fully mesh repeatedly many times -- the power transmission attempted thru partially engaged dogs will tend to make them back-out and round-off. The gears themselves will get a wear pattern in the meshing teeth over time depending on load, the amount of EP additive in the lube, and other standard gear issues.

Bottom line is: careful treatment of a motorcycle transmission involves an educated and careful (but not 'tentative') left toe.

And, I think, bent shift forks are responsible for gear-dog problems. I don't think the clutch is a major player in these issues.

Heck, I never use my clutch when I'm shifting! Whoops! Don't have one I can access. Never mind.....

It's definitely the shift forks/drum. Back in the Bronze Age when I was a mechanic, I had to rebuild numerous bikes (mostly Hondas) that had worn out shift forks or drums. They would jump from gear to gear but generally still delivered power in some fashion. Worn dogs generally dropped the bike into a false neutral, regardless of the gear.

Worn dogs generally don't hunt good, neither

Soooo,............... no NAFO eeksnake?
Working on alternate means of transportation.

(At the risk of getting dog-piled... I did seriously consider riding the Feej as is. I still have the rest of the gears... :rolleyes: )

(At the risk of getting dog-piled... I did seriously consider riding the Feej as is. I still have the rest of the gears... :rolleyes: )
Dogpile nothing.

You are NOT riding your FJR? 4th is least needed gear. Easy to avoid that one.

I'd ride it.

Dogpile nothing.

I'd ride it.
I agree. I rode my damaged 2nd gear bike for nearly 6 weeks before putting her out of commission for the repair. Just avoid using it.

Dogpile nothing.

I'd ride it.
I agree. I rode my damaged 2nd gear bike for nearly 6 weeks before putting her out of commission for the repair. Just avoid using it.
No worries then. I'll be there riding my FJR. :yahoo:

*UPDATE*

Made it to NAFO, did the All Colorado SS1K and got home with out issue.

Dropped the bike off at the dealers last Friday. They informed me that it would cost approx. $716 to crack the case in order to determine the problem. Since I would have to eat the cost should Yamaha refuse to cover the repair, they wanted my permission. After making sure the cost included putting it back together should Mama-Jama refuse to pay, I gave the go-ahead.

Received the call today that the cause was "a worn gear drum due to improper shifting (rider error)." (Their words, not mine.) Just as the words of protest began to formulate in my head, the gal on the other end of the phone said "Yamaha has agreed to cover the cost of repair." :yahoo:

I should have [SIZE=12pt]My Precious[/SIZE], er... I mean, my FJR back in a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear Yammie is taking care of you on this. Also really glad to hear your whole NAFO trip went off without a hitch. If something would have happened, I would have been feeling guilty. Not for long mind you, but for at least a few seconds.

So, did they say what exactly 'improper shifting' was? Or how to 'properly' shift?

Did I call it or what?? And you guys thought I was just talking out my ass again!!! :)

Glad they are taking care of you, they sure as hell didn't take care of me! Hope all is well when she returns.

And just how the hell does "rider error" wear out a drum? It's a hunka metal with slots in it for cripes sake. Next thing you'll see is "rider used improper oil with SlotFuck in it"......... :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear Yammie is taking care of you on this. Also really glad to hear your whole NAFO trip went off without a hitch. If something would have happened, I would have been feeling guilty. Not for long mind you, but for at least a few seconds.
So, did they say what exactly 'improper shifting' was? Or how to 'properly' shift?
Oh stop it Skoot, you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy. :blush:

And just how the hell does "rider error" wear out a drum?
Maybe I'll get an explanation and perhaps some tutelage when I pick her up. The gal giving me the news may ride but a technician she ain't.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions folks.