2008 FJR 1300 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisflock

FJR nose gunner
Reaction score
I'm not sure when the 08 AE appeared on Yamaha's website, it wasn't there last time I looked (but that may have been a while ago!)

So, in the pics it looks to be less glossy of a paint job than...well, all the other FJR's. Can anyone confirm this, or is it just an artifact of the pics on the website? Anyone got one, and have some pics?

I personally think it looks awesome, it's like a nice dark graphite sort of color, really cool. I've always wanted a hot rod in either flat black or flat gray...

Man, I'm getting all worked up. Wonder if I can find someone who's got a new AE and doesn't like the color to swap all the painted bits with! When I first saw the 08 black, I thought it was very nice, but this 08AE color, it's just too sweet!

Plus, it would be kind of fun when people who know their FJRs are scratching there heads when they notice the clutch lever on what they thought was an AE...

I'm not sure when the 08 AE appeared on Yamaha's website, it wasn't there last time I looked (but that may have been a while ago!)
So, in the pics it looks to be less glossy of a paint job than...well, all the other FJR's. Can anyone confirm this, or is it just an artifact of the pics on the website? Anyone got one, and have some pics?

I personally think it looks awesome, it's like a nice dark graphite sort of color, really cool. I've always wanted a hot rod in either flat black or flat gray...

Man, I'm getting all worked up. Wonder if I can find someone who's got a new AE and doesn't like the color to swap all the painted bits with! When I first saw the 08 black, I thought it was very nice, but this 08AE color, it's just too sweet!

Plus, it would be kind of fun when people who know their FJRs are scratching there heads when they notice the clutch lever on what they thought was an AE...
I dont have the 08 but I love that color. I saw it at a dealer. Its shiney, looks just like the dark grey metalic that they use on the R6, very nice. I was bummed when I saw it as I just bought my leftover 06 AE a year ago. A friend has the gray R6 and my wish was that the AE was that color. I missed it by a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an 08 AE........

Love the color, the hand warmers, the smoothness, the power.......... I am getting all worked up just thinking about it. I drive it to work every day, 43 miles, 25 highway, 17 country roads. Have 3400 miles on it and wouldn't trade it or the color for anything. Heli bars should be here on Friday but I have to wait til next week to install. I will miss it this weekend while I am up north riding my street legal 07 WR450.

I too was out of riding for about 20 years, but now have the best of both worlds with my Yamahas.

Thought I would miss the clutch, but pretty much proved myself wrong in about 5 minutes.

The color on the 08 AE is very good and the FJR is a great bike. The 08 is my 3rd FJR. I have issues with my left foot so the AE works very good for me however if you do not have any physcial issues I'm not sure why you would want to pay the extra $$$ for the AE. The AE is really a handful at parking lot speeds once your up and running it's just fine and the auto clutch works very well. If you can find a dealer who has one and spend some time on it before you spend your money if it works for you the AE just might be the right bike for you if your in doubt save the money and go with the clutch bike either way you can't go wrong the FJR.

The discount price you can get an AE for is not that high and I keep hearing people saying what a handfull it is at parking lot speeds I just don't see it, I think I could do better in a slow race than I could of on a bike with a normal clutch. Just a matter of getting used to it.

I thought Parking lots where a challenge when I first got the AE. Not any more. I think I actually have better slow speed control now then with a clutch.. The trick is to slow enough so that bike disengages the clutch, then add throttle back in just enough to have the clutch reingage and slip. It sounds complicated but once you get it once your good to go.