2008 FJR handlebar Vibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rummy

Reaction score
OK

I have a new 08' FJR and after about a half hour into my ride my right hand starts going numb. I tried changing bar position, new thick foam grips, gloves with padding, nothing seems to help. I believe the problem is due to vibration which is transfered into the bars which I believe are hollow and amplify the problem. The handle bar set-up is stock with no risers. Do you think filling the hollow bar ends would correct my problem ? Does anybody sell solid bars? Am I the only one with this problem ? If I could fix this the bike would be prefect and ready for long road trips with the wife.

Robert

Discussed many, Many, MANY times before. Have you tried to search on handlebar vibration site:fjrforum.com and similar terms to see the hundreds of hits on the subject?

Have the same issue with my 08; I added the Yamaha heated grips (for winter riding) which helped only a little. I also noticed less numbness with highway riding tilting the right wrist outward and loosening the grip on the throttle which as you know is quite sensitive.

Have the same issue with my 08; I added the Yamaha heated grips (for winter riding) which helped only a little. I also noticed less numbness with highway riding tilting the right wrist outward and loosening the grip on the throttle which as you know is quite sensitive.
TARKIO,

I have searched Handle Bar Vibration like suggested to my above post and found very little. However when I searched the word BUZZ or Handle bar buzz, I came up with a lot of info for our 08' problem. So far what I have learned is the following: 1. Throttle Body Sync. 2. Checking for loose motor mounts. 3. Changing Grips. 4. Perform the Throttle Return Spring one turn unwind (Instructions in the Rickster's Bin-O-Facts on 06-08s).

So far I have completed all but the Throttle Body Sync. (Carbtune on order). I must say doing the Throttle Return Spring - one turn unwind. Has made a big improvement. I can now relax my grip on the throttle. Instructions in the Rickster's Bin-O-Facts on 06-08s are easy to follow.

Good Luck

Robert

TARKIO,

I have searched Handle Bar Vibration like suggested to my above post and found very little. However when I searched the word BUZZ or Handle bar buzz, I came up with a lot of info for our 08' problem. So far what I have learned is the following: 1. Throttle Body Sync. 2. Checking for loose motor mounts. 3. Changing Grips. 4. Perform the Throttle Return Spring one turn unwind (Instructions in the Rickster's Bin-O-Facts on 06-08s).

So far I have completed all but the Throttle Body Sync. (Carbtune on order). I must say doing the Throttle Return Spring - one turn unwind. Has made a big improvement. I can now relax my grip on the throttle. Instructions in the Rickster's Bin-O-Facts on 06-08s are easy to follow.

Good Luck

Robert
My HeliBar and Grip Puppies have helped the sore wrists greatly.

Also, unless you plan to add a PCIII, try the Barbarian Mod, to increase fuel mix richness. This will improve throttle smoothness, which contributes to that death grip on right grip.

I just installed the Helibar on my bike. By having the bars closer, and angled out from me, it has nearly completely removed the buzz in the bars. I now have zero buzz up to about 75 mph. And a reasonable amount above that. I also did the full TBS using the adjusting screws between the throttle bodies. There's no longer the dramatic increase in engine vibration at 3800 rpm.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

1. Added - Lead Weight to the inside of my hollow handle bars.

2. Retained and using stock Bar End Weights.

3. Installed larger diameter foam grips.

4. Tighten all motor mounts.

5. Performed the Throttle Spring Unwind Mod. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=18322&hl=

6. Moved Handlebars closer to rider.

7. Performed Handle Bar Angle Modifications (removing the pins) https://chornbe.com/motorcycles/fjr/handlebarpins/

Things I plan to do:

1. TB Sync.

2. Barbarian Mod.

3. Install some type of cruise control

Although, handlebar vibration or buzz has not completely went away yet and probably won’t, it sure is a lot more manageable and hands don’t get numb anymore.

And i did all of the last three too...the only thing that really helped was by getting my weight off the bars by installing the Helibar.

And i did all of the last three too...the only thing that really helped was by getting my weight off the bars by installing the Helibar.

Skifrik,

Thanks for the info. I went to: helibars.com and looked at them. It shows their riser only will work with their Triple Clamp. You replaced your Triple Clamp to add risers ? Clamp= $339 / Risers= $69

One thing that is often overlooked, is don't use a deathgrip on the bars but use relaxed hands.

I agree with 03HiYoSilver. When I first bought the bike last week, I noticed the throttle return spring was very stiff resulting in my "Death Grip".

Since then, I have done the throttle return spring unwind mod. and now I'm more relaxed. The single most improvement I have done so far.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Rummy,

I too, experienced the samy right hand situation until I found this Spring Release and the Grip Puppies... I was getting worried for a while and Thanks to this board, it works great now.

Good Luck on your resolve.

I just got in on the group buy of the triple clamp...I don't think that raisers would be needed also. I'm about 6'2" and about 250. So I was putting a good amount of wieght on the bars. The new clamp seems to have made a big difference.

I would also recommend the cramp buster. It lets you have an open hand but keep pressure on the throttle.

I did the throttle spring mod and that really helped.

John

+1 on the crampbuster. I rode 1,100 miles in the last 24 hours and it really helped keep my right hand relaxed.

I did the spring mod and I think I might un do it. I find that I have to make sure I close the throttle else it seems to hang open a bit.