2008 fjr rear trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the most often asked questions. After a couple of smart-ass opening posts you will see all the top trunk names mentioned and some of the advantages and problems >>HERE<< One of the important things to sort out first is the mission of the trunk. Cargo? Backrest? Occasional use for trips? Searching on TRUNK or any of the trunk names like Shad or Givi will return a lot of threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Givi's suck. Beer cans keep exploding in them!

No, really, Givi's are top shelf units. You won't find many complaints, but they are pricey.

Pricey?!?!??!!!? Compared to what? Checked out Yammy prices on the useless factory case?

(I say useless because even though it's volume may be high 40s, low 50s liters, its shape is just wrong. Won't hold two helmets, for example. And its walls are too thick, wasting huge volume. And it's easily half again the price of a good Givi setup.)

Don't buy the add-on backrest pad. It takes up a couple of potentially needed inches back there, and your SO's jacket's back pad will serve as her cushion if she leans against the top case.

BTW, as your SO mounts the bike, don't let her press down on the top case for support. It won't hold up to that. She should use your shoulders for handholds.

Pricey?!?!??!!!? Compared to what? Checked out Yammy prices on the useless factory case?

(I say useless because even though it's volume may be high 40s, low 50s liters, its shape is just wrong. Won't hold two helmets, for example. And its walls are too thick, wasting huge volume. And it's easily half again the price of a good Givi setup.)

Don't buy the add-on backrest pad. It takes up a couple of potentially needed inches back there, and your SO's jacket's back pad will serve as her cushion if she leans against the top case.

BTW, as your SO mounts the bike, don't let her press down on the top case for support. It won't hold up to that. She should use your shoulders for handholds.
Sorry, I assumed the OP wasn't considering an Yamaha OEM. He sure won't now.

Might as well post before this becomes NEPRT. I bought a Givi E55 DeluxeB monokey just a week or so ago. I like the liner, and the lighting is conducted very unobtrusively through contacts in the mounting base and up into the lit. The liner ensures that if you put a helmet in there, it won't look like a scuffed shoe from bouncing around.

I had a chance to use mine about 800 miles so far, including an overnight trip, and it works very well. A few pics are in order, and if anyone knows how I can remove the teats under my bike, I'd like to hear suggestions. Dogpile Friday will be fine. The case is the largest available, but carries well however, like all the cases, a wobble is noticeable in buffeting winds at high speed. It did not affect my pace in twisties. It is well balanced and does not shake or bounce. IMHO the V46 case is less obtrusive, but this carries more. So choose capacity or looks. The function of both are very good.

Redding35049.jpg

Redding35015.jpg

Redding35028.jpg

I ordered a Factory rear and then found out it still uses the factory grab rails, and it had no lights. I promptly called and canceled and ordered a Give with bracket.

You can scroll half way down here and see my install Givi with lights in Silver. I just don't think the Factory is worth the money.

OEM trunk on a Gen I:

Img_3487d.jpg

When the OEM trunk is installed and there is no pillion on the rear seat the trunk can cause a slight wobble feel, it presents no control issue but you can feel the wobble. The trunk will only hold one helmet and the interior shape is odd which reduces cargo space more than you would expect. I have had no issues with cargo weight in the trunk.

My pillion prefers the OEM trunk without the backrest pad which would push her too far forward. This may depend on pillion size and how much arctic gear they wear during spring and fall riding.

You can find a mounting plates for the Givi that would give some back and forth location adjustment. Using the Givi rack mount you get better weight support on the rear sub-frame. The Givi also has an optional lighting kit for an additional running & brake light. Forum member garauld offers a rack for mounting aftermarket trunks. Here is a Premier Cycle rack that lets the trunk be mounted in one of two positions, link only because Premier has copyright protected their pictures: >>LINK<<

If I had it to do over again I would try a Givi, not because I dislike the OEM trunk but simply to see how the Givi would compare to OEM for cargo use vs the convenience of the OEM top case. Seven day trips when two up taxes the OEM trunk space.

Then there are other off-beat solutions such as Pirates' Lair solution which lets you have a removable backrest and you can then add a soft bag of your choice.

clicable pic

As a follow up and not to steal the thread but where is the best place to buy the Givi? After reading lots of comments and seeing pictures of all I'm convinced thats the one for me,probably the 46. Thanks!

As a follow up and not to steal the thread but where is the best place to buy the Givi? After reading lots of comments and seeing pictures of all I'm convinced thats the one for me,probably the 46. Thanks!
Try SportTour.com

I just bought the Givi V46 in matching gloss black with the mounting kit for $400. They are right up here by me in Sharonville, Ohio, so you will enjoy no tax...plus they offer free shipping on Givi products. I must say, I'm really impressed with the Givi for function and appearance. The V46 is a really nice fit for the FJR.

Later,

Jeff

When you say "It won't hold up" is that due to the mounting plate? Is that with the Givi plate? Does anyone know if the same problem exists with the after market plates? I've seen a couple on various sites that look better then the Givi. Do they flex?

Thanks

MartinH

No, I mean the lid is not meant to take the pressure of someone's body weight as they press down to lift them selves up into the seat. In the mirror I saw my wife putting her hand on the middle of the top of the box once, and stopped her right away.

No, I mean the lid is not meant to take the pressure of someone's body weight as they press down to lift them selves up into the seat. In the mirror I saw my wife putting her hand on the middle of the top of the box once, and stopped her right away.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Try SportTour.com

I just bought the Givi V46 in matching gloss black with the mounting kit for $400. They are right up here by me in Sharonville, Ohio, so you will enjoy no tax...plus they offer free shipping on Givi products. I must say, I'm really impressed with the Givi for function and appearance. The V46 is a really nice fit for the FJR.

Later,

Jeff

I'm on that, thanks Jeff

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on the OEM trunk.

I've ridden on some multiday trips with the OEM trunk, using it to store either 20 lbs plus worth of computer backpack, oil, and other accessories, or a helmet (when I'm working). My trunk was the '09 OEM version that matches my '09 AE perfectly, and I also installed the padded backrest. I have the beefed-up trunk mounting kit (metal plate to reinforce trunk bottom). My wife, at 5'3", finds it acceptably comfortable for short trips (all we've done), and it also works for my 12-year-old son around town (again, short trial trips, to see if longer trips would be feasible). But, my comments should reasonably be evaluated for solo long-distance trips (1000 miles or more). BTW, the computer backpack when loaded with a 15" MacBook Pro, tablet, portable speakers, etc., is about the size of a military 3-day pack, and yet fits in the trunk.

On the highway, there are no adverse handling effects even at high double-digit speeds, even with crosswinds and gusting (crossing the Columbia River or the Sacramento River, and having to lean significantly to withstand the side winds). At lower speeds, no problems either; my backpack was held securely so it couldn't flop around inside. For recreational travel, the two panniers and the trunk will easily hold enough spare clothes and camping gear so as to let me stay on the road until the money runs out. What I like about the OEM trunk is that my ignition key works with it, and I can easily unlock it and tote the whole thing into my motel room, and leave it if I don't need it for day trips while on business. The trunk stays on a shelf in my garage, wrapped in a plastic bag for protection, and I only mount it for multi-day trips when I need the extra hauling capability.

I have no doubt that the Givi trunks are fine, and they certainly hold a lot. I like the possibility of a clean-looking light kit for the Givis, and I may add a LED light strip to my OEM trunk in parallel with my SD AYN license frame. I didn't go with the Givis because IMO they didn't match the styling of the bike instead looking like a strapped-on American Tourister suitcase... and my FJR is just too sweet for that.

I picked up my new trunk on eBay last summer (it was new-old stock). You can often find these 'surplused' from dealers on eBay at significant savings. I think I spent around $400 for the trunk, pad, and updated mounting kit... all new in the box.