2008 Rear Trunk attachment kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginiafjr

Reaction score
I ordered the Yamaha trunk and for some reason it has a different part number in comparison to the 06/07. It is on backorder at the present time. Has anyone installed the trunk on the 08? thanks for your assistance

Because of some problems with something cracking, all 06's and 07"s were retro fitted with a metal brace. Am guessing the new part number reflects the new trunk "design" for 08 models.

The recall put a sheet metal stiffener on the trunk itself, so the 08 is likely wearing the new tin from the factory...or was updated somehow.

Don't feel bad, you got your bike..I got my trunk first and had to wait for the bike........

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I was guessing that may be the issue based on searching here. Sill searching for comparos vs the GIVI, a hard decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the Yamaha trunk and for some reason it has a different part number in comparison to the 06/07. It is on backorder at the present time. Has anyone installed the trunk on the 08? thanks for your assistance
I finally got the call that my trunk was in...2+ months after I got the bike and paid the money that included this accessory. I got three packages: The trunk, the mounting bracket/kit, and the passenger backrest. When I installed the trunk on my '05 I had to drill through the back rack to find the hidden attach points beneath. Not so for the '08: Just exchange the three screws with the new ones and the bracket. Nice and easy.

The box that included the new trunk also included a picture of the trunk with and without the new metal base plate and a big warning that you shouldn't attach the trunk unless it had the base plate also. And -- Surprise! Surprise! -- there was an extra base plate and mounting hardware in the box, even though the trunk already had it! In other words, I am doubly happy that I didn't worry about doing the "recall" on my '05 'cause now I got all the parts anyway! Life is good!

Summary: Easy install, nice big box, glad I got it...and I wil totally ignore the BS Yamaha warning that one should never use the trunk along with the side cases. Geez!

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I was guessing that may be the issue based on searching here. Sill searching for comparos vs the GIVI, a hard decision.
I got the Givi mostly because I could get it a little bit cheaper (but not a lot) and it turns out that it's rated for a higher load weight. Also, looking at pics only since I've never actually seen the Yamaha box in person, I kinda thought the Givi was much better looking.

I got the Givi E52, with Givi's rack. If keeping the stock rack and handrail is important to you, Premier Cycle Accessories makes a plate that fits the stock rack and accepts Givi's mounting plates for their Monokey cases.

This thread has some pics of the Givi rack (mine) and the PCA adapter for Givi boxes. There's some discussion of the Givi rack versus the stock rack, appearance, strength, etc.

But if you've ordered the Yamaha, why the statement "still searching for comparos?"