2008 Windshield Height

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I,m selling my 05 to buy a new 08 and have a windshield question. The 05 oem shield did nothing for me and I got a Cal Sciences shield that was great. I know the new model supposedly has a new shield that features some kind of "scratch resistance", however I,m wondering if I,m going to have the same problem "heightwise" as i had with my 05? Can any 08 owners relate their experience thus far with the functionality of the 08 shield? Is it high enough? Does it work well? I,m 6 feet tall, and again found the oem shield on my 05 just did not cut it. Any thoughts 08 owners? thanks JIM

Jim,

The shield on the 08 is the same height and width as the 06 & 07. The only difference is the new coating. I rode a few 05's and 06 & 07's and there is a great improvement in the shield coverage and fairing. The 05's I rode were SOOO loud that I needed to wear ear plugs. The GEN II (06, 07 & 08) bikes have really improved so much so that all you hear is engine sound. I'm 5'9" and the shield in the full up position was great. I was able to look over it but get great wind block. My Brother is 6' and he thought he would need a slightly taller shield. Yamaha makes a OEM touring shield for around $100. It is 1/2" wider and 4" taller than stock. You can see it on the Yamaha site under windshield accessories.

I will be picking up an 08 in March!

Rob

At 6'3" the stock shield is useless to me. I have a +3 rifle on the way. I will let you know how I like it when I get some road time with It.

You will need an aftermearket shield. The stock 08 is same as 07 & o6 models.

I am 5'11" and had a laminar lip on my 06 fjr (I ride with the seat in the highest up position). To get clean air I would have to put the shield all the way up. I just ordered a Cee Baily +3 wide +4 high shield. There is 2 feet of snow on the ground here so i will let you know around April how it works. My guess is that it will be perfect.

I'm 5'8" and the stocker is to short for me. I get mild wind in the upright position and I know the my pillon will be getting tons o wind when she gets on.

Greg