2008 Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I bought my 05 new and went thru 4 windshields before I found the one I really liked (Cal Sciences large)

I,m now ordering an 08 and am wondering whether I,ll likely have to replace the stock shield again because its not high enough.

Anybody out there have an 08 yet? And if so, does the stock shield suffice? I,m 6 feet and the stock shield on my 05 was not even close to satisfactory.

Any thoughts? thanks

I bought my 05 new and went thru 4 windshields before I found the one I really liked (Cal Sciences large)I,m now ordering an 08 and am wondering whether I,ll likely have to replace the stock shield again because its not high enough.

Anybody out there have an 08 yet? And if so, does the stock shield suffice? I,m 6 feet and the stock shield on my 05 was not even close to satisfactory.

Any thoughts? thanks
I've got an '08, 1200 miles, and really like the stock windshield. I almost always have it all the way down because that position provides very clean non-turbulent airflow. If I want quiet I turn it all the way up but lose airflow. Anything in between, results in too much buffeting on the front of my helmet, which gets tiring after a while.

I got a cal-sci medium for xmas, tried it but didn't like it because of how much wind it blocked even in the all the way down position. It was certainly more quiet than the stocker, but I like wind.

For reference, I'm 5'9", ride with the seat in the LOW position, wear a Shoei RF1000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sat on the 08 at the IMS show and pretty sure the window has not changed since the Gen II model came out in 06...I really do like the option though of using the stock window in warmer temps and the larger one for winter. PM. <>< :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a couple hundred miles on my 08 and I don’t have any experience on any other model, but I only ride with it down. If I put it all the way up I get a lot of back pressure. With it down, I get a face full of air, but it is smooth and predictable. I have been up to the triple digits without any problems (on a closed course, of course :) ). Keep in mind that I came from a naked cruiser where anything over 70 was far from a pleasant experience. I am 6'4", so I don’t expect to ever find that "cone of silence" that I hear so much about, but I am ok with that.

I have ordered a V-Stream to try it out and I have a line on a CalSci, but if those don’t help (and I don’t really expect them to) I can and will live with the stock (and make some board member a good deal on a lightly used shield).

I bought my 05 new and went thru 4 windshields before I found the one I really liked (Cal Sciences large)I,m now ordering an 08 and am wondering whether I,ll likely have to replace the stock shield again because its not high enough.

Any thoughts? thanks
You'll have the same experience with an 08 as you did with the 05. When I ordered my 08 from D&H, Jerald said the new shield is slightly wider, but not taller.

After much research, I'm ordering a CB +4 flip, and taking it with me to bolt on the new one, before riding it home. That's how much I hated the Gen-2 stock shield.

The screen is the same on the 08 FJR as 06-07 models. They are a huge improvemnet over the 1st gen FJR's but you are still going to need an aftermarket screen.

I am 5'11" (have the seat set in the high position) and have a laminar lip on mine, which gives me an area of silence in the full up position (but just barely) The laminar lip is 2.5" higher than my stock screen. I just ordered a Cee Baily +4" high & +3" wide for less than 100 bucks on E bay. The laminar lip cost me about the same.

Another thing is that the stock screen needs to be a little wider, so it will be interesting to see how the Cee baily works. I plan to install it on the bike for highway rides.

According to FJRottie's FAQ page, the 08's shield changes are:

7. The windshield has been revised. A new hard coating on the windshield surface helps to prevent scratching. The internal screen holder or base has been revised from a 2 piece to a 1 piece design to reduce weight. The external cover for the activation arms is changed to rubber to reduce noise. And finally, the internal mounting system for the windshield has been revised to reduce the vibration of the windshield at speed.

Will that new 1-pc base allow for Skyway (or any) spacers?

At 6'3" it is not at all what I need. I might as well take it off and ride without it. :rolleyes: