2013 FJR1300A Failure to Start No Code?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Beautiful day here and the Ghost needed a ride. I went to the garage and geared up, rolled her off the lift where she had been since I returned from California on September 24th. I had washed her, run her for 30 minutes and parked her with half a tank of fuel.

Symptoms:

Neutral Light On, Side Stand Down, Clutch engaged, depressed start button, engine spun but no fire. The Check Engine Light was on while the engine was spinning but went out when button released. No Code set.

I turned off switch and re-initiated the sequence with same results.

I tried this multiple times with the same results. Battery began to run down. I put on the charger and went away for a few hours.

After two hours, maybe three, I tried again. There was one hesitant cough. I opened the throttle and tried again, she tried to start. After several furtive attempts she burst to life and ran fine after that. Put 100 miles on and she started several times.

Sign me puzzled?

After two hours, maybe three, I tried again. There was one hesitant cough. I opened the throttle and tried again, she tried to start. After several furtive attempts she burst to life and ran fine after that. Put 100 miles on and she started several times.
Sign me puzzled?
Pinned in this exact area of the forum 7 threads above yours. FJRF011: Fast Starter Syndrome

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ This.

Why are you surprised? Even though it's a 3rd Gen, it's still an FJR.
And as the used car salesman in the plaid sport coat says: "Don't worry, They all do that!"

It doesn't spin all that much faster, he probably did not pick up on that. The problem is a no start for fueling reasons, which his clearly was.

Yes, two possible causes.... slightly flooded, if it doesn't start right away, need to use a little wide open throttle. Also, if it sat for a week or two, you may have had some fuel phase separation, a little Seafoam (or isopropanol) will disperse the water.

Also, if it's been sitting for a while keep it charged or charge it up prior to starting.

I've done WFO throttle a few times on my 04 to get it going(per the Forum's info) good to know...but better to know how to prevent the situation.

I don't see where John said it spun faster than normal...so where do you get that?
Read the thread a little more closely dude. The title is three words. The thread is 7 pages long including near the top:

Symptoms: (some or all)

• Bike won't start
  • Bike has sat for a period of time (perhaps days or weeks)
  • Hit the starter and in the first 1/2 a second it just doesn't sound quite right.....and after a couple seconds not a hint the bike firing.
  • Starter seems a slightly higher pitch.
  • Starter seems to spin a little faster than usual.
  • You have to crank and crank it until it finally sputters and lights up.
It's a spectrum thing like Apserger's Syndrome. You need not have the actual forum handle Asperger to be diagnosed with it.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, I did not make the connection to the "Pinned Thread" But probably should have, the symptoms within it are certainly inclusive of what I experienced.

Iggy, you can be a Prick, but you are a Helpful Prick :)