2013 Smuggler Color

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Foley

Reaction score
I ordered a Smuggler for my 2013 from Corbin months ago. I still haven't received it. They are having a hard time matching the color. They have asked that I ship them a part from the bike so that they can color match it.

Others on the forum have had parts painted 2013 stone gray. How did they match your paint?

David maybe they will sell it to you at a discount without paint, that way you can order the paint yourself and get it painted.

You will also have some left over for other things.

R

Corbin could not match my 03 silver smuggler, not even close the first time so I sent it back with a spare piece I had and it still was not good but close enough. I don't know how they can sell things they have to paint if they can't color match. With the prices they charge for these things they should be perfect.

The smuggler they sent for my '06 is noticeably darker than the bike...Not sure if they painted it Galaxy blue instead of Cobalt blue or if the bike's paint faded. It took eight weeks to get it...

The paint on mine seems to be the right colour - if yours was painted the '05 blue it would have been more than obvious.

I bought the 2013 Colorrite paint and am not happy with the match - it seems to be too silvery as attested by a couple guys I already painted parts for.
angry01.gif
I have one of those litle bag mount covers and I have been comparing it to some of the vehicles in the local mall parking lot at lunch. I think I found an excellent match on a 2002 GMC pickup. I'll try and get the paint code at my paint supplier and post it. I plan to tweak the paint I have in the near future to try and get it closer to my cover.
rolleyes.gif

I now have a 2010, pretty much the same color as my 03, Corbin painted my 03 smuggler twice and still there was a noticeable difference. I got a gen2 smuggler off ebay in the 07 color for a lot less than what Corbin charges and took it to my friend who owns a body shop and he matched the 2010 perfect. I just don't see how Corbin cannot get color matches correct for what they charge and my local body shop can,

...Corbin painted my 03 smuggler twice and still there was a noticeable difference. I got a gen2 smuggler...and took it to my friend who owns a body shop...I just don't see how Corbin cannot get color matches correct for what they charge and my local body shop can,
I'm not defending Corbin but I will observe that a body shop uses paint as part of their everyday process, Corbin uses leather, foam and fiberglass as their standard process and paint is secondary. Most successful body shops have color matching systems, use color matching services and have almighty big paint books for reference that a seat shop may not. Not that Corbin couldn't partner with a paint shop for their color matching services.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the 2013 Colorrite paint and am not happy with the match -
Hmmm, mine matched up very well. You got the paint shaken up well and put plenty on there I assume?

I painted over my Cobalt Blue which was done by Corbin and was also a decent match. I did it with ColoRite rattle can and their clear coat. It was my first ever attempt to get a factory finish and I came very close. The only reason it didn't turn out perfect was my own inexperience. I'm confident that if I ever decide to make it perfect, I can.

Thanks for the information guys! I think I'll take Fairlaner's advice and see if Corbin will discount the part and I will have it painted myself. Calling Garauld ....
rolleyes.gif

So - all's well that ends well I suppose. I have been calling Corbin for a week and a half, trying to get them to discount the smuggler so I could ship it directly to Garauld for painting. Couldn't get anyone to return a call.

I came back from my ride on Saturday and there was a box waiting for me.

WP_20130602_001_zpsc6dda1ea.jpg

The paint matches well - as far as my untrained eye can tell. Good quality and excellent fit.

Latest posts