2014 Super Tenere and Super Tenere ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought mine a year too early...j/k

Great bike, made better with incremental improvements...where have we seen that before!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is a nice bike… I'd love to have one but… 578lbs. is a lot of weight to be handling while off road in the dirt...

They are heavy but amazingly well balanced. I really like mine and as long as you use your head, it'll go places an FJR couldn't dream of going.

The newest one has the switch gear and dash function of a Gen III FJR, plus cc.
coolsmiley02.gif

Wow, that is a nice bike… I'd love to have one but… 578lbs. is a lot of weight to be handling while off road in the dirt...
Groan - Here we go again with trying to define how heavy is too much.

Or comparisons between the weights of various bikes.

I'm with 20valves in liking the bike. I've got one of the early ones for North America. It looks to me like Yam really listened to what the riders wanted for upgrades, as opposed to the media calls for 200 hp and 400 lbs in weight. Essentially, they did the same as when the FJR went from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

KUDOS to Yamah for this!

The Tenere hits a very broad corner of the four shaft adventure bikes - the others being BMW, Triumph, and Guzzi. The following link is to some Tenere photos. Note how many are on gravel, which is the real target for these big bikes, as opposed to true dirt bikes. https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=3064.0

For the rest of us to Walter Mitty on:

rolleyes.gif

btw - The engine is unleashed with a $125 custom ECU reflash. It won't give you the top 25-ish hp that BMW and Triumph have at the top of the tach, but I don't live at 7,000 rpm on this type of bike and the Tenere is MUCH better than the other three at picking along slowly. The reflash removes the factory ECU limitations and changes the throttle response when in the Sport mode. I've kept Tour mode stock for commuting, rain, distance rides, and to keep from knocking helmets 2-up. (https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=10252.0)

Trouble is this. I need both the FJR and the S10. No seriously, I do. Most of you know what I'm talking about.

I could probably swing both, but that would leave me with no gas money to take either one of them out. Sure I dream of the places the S10 and I would go. But hell, I have a 4X4 for most of that.

I guess I'd rather be in these shoes than in those of some rich bastard. That poor bastard is always be thinking he should be riding one of his other bikes.

Having just the FJR, I'm always happy. Well, until that power line road going who knows where shows up.

Sorry, just Friday night wanderings. JSNS.

Mark

I'm seriously considering this as my next bike. I think it could be everything that I like about my FJR as well as everything that I like better about my Vstrom DL1000, all in a single bike package.

My Bass Bote Blue beauty is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'll likely need / want to replace my two up machine in the next year or so. And as sexy as the 2014 ES FJRs look, I really don't see myself moving to one. One of the new S10 ES bikes actually makes a lot more sense for the way, and the kind of roads that, I ride most often.

What this would mean to the three scooters presently in the garage is uncertain. It would be ideal to keep them all for a while and see which ones then become obsoleted by the S10, but squeezing a 4th bike into my half of the two car garage is a chore. It is not beyond reason to think I might be able to cut back by a bike or two if the S10 fills as many of my needs as I suspect it will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually went to a Yamaha dealer to look at the Tenere before I got my FJR. I was pretty sure my next bike was going to be a Tenere. I had my cruiser but was wanting something with a more standard seating position and something with more lean angle. Something that would tour a little better then a cruiser. Living in South Florida there just aren't that many places to ride off road. The places there are generally have deep sand. Riding a big bike in deep sand didn't sound like fun. So in the end I just knew I didn't really "need" a tenere.

So I looked around some more at a bike that would match my riding style and the kind of riding I have a chance to do. The FJR just matched that better then a tenere.

But I will probably own a tenere one day. I just need a bigger garage!!!

Yamaha has alwayz been good to their riders; least they been good ta me over since '81when I got mah 1st '77 XS750
punk.gif
(Unlike a certain Bavarian motorcycle co. that treats their riderz like luzer beta testers!)

That Tenere dun looks real sweet, butt I see myself stick'in w/ the 'ole FJR and prolly a WR250 https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/0/home.aspx in the future? Recon it'd be a bit mor manageable off road.
tongue.png

I've had both an 04 and 08 FJR, and thought I would always have one in the garage...since I got the Tenere, I rode the 08 less and less, and finally let the 08 go. On the road, the Tenere is 8/10ths the bike the FJR is, but with the wide open expanses of the southwest, and the plethora of dirt roads here, the Tenere just makes more sense. Not to mention the fact that for me, the Tenere is far more comfortable...