2016-06-20 Horns Wired & Tach Drive Gear Leak Fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
KZ1300

2016-06-20 Horns Wired-Tach Drive Gear Leak Fixed

Had a slight leak where the tachometer cable connects to the head.

Note: the assembly lifts out of the head. You do not have to pull the rocker cover.

The geared driveshaft has ridges on it from wear. I'll order a new one, they are still available for around $44. In the meantime here is my fix.

I should have taken a before picture. This looks a lot better. The part in the middle is a seal.

Here is the kit that I used.

Also fixed the bad fan switch wiring. Used a water proof butt splice connector.

Next up is wiring the horns. This took some time but turned out reasonably well.

From ten ften feet away it's hard to see the wiring at all.

Here's the right-hand side.

Today was a very hot day, over 100°F. When at idle, the temperature gauge made it up to the hot zone, the red zone.
But it did not go further than that. This is significantly better than before the CarverBurp.

Putting a fan in front for cooling, she cooled down to 75% scale.

..to be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm not the only one with 2 different 1300's in the garage. I know this is an aging thread, but since I just found it, I'll add my 2c. My 1980 KraZy13 had the same issue. I was on a long ride (4 pass blast)and started getting oil droplets on the inside of the fairing screen. The whole underside of the speedo cluster was wet and I thought at the time the the front brake lines were leaking, so I finished the ride using only the back brake and engine compression to slow down. The oil from the shot seal had pumped all the way up the tach cable and leaked out under the cluster and the air stream from riding spread it out all over, thus the thought of brake fluid. Was very relieved to find it was only oil.