2nd day of ownership & dropped my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DENCOUCH

Reaction score
At 664 lbs, I discovered that the FJR is not that easy to hold up, or pick up.

While moving it around in my garage, during a series of back & forth movements, I managed to kick the side stand back into its retracted position... and not notice. When I positioned the bike where I wanted it, I began to lower the bike to the side & rest it onto the non existent stand... over it went in slow motion.

No damage other than a little scrap on the mirror + a couple little marks on the side bag.

After righting this bike, I am thankful I didn't get the Honda STE @ 730lbs, nor the Kawasaki Connie @ 688lbs.

I am not going to repeat this any time soon.

Man, that sucks. I haven't put mine down yet (got it almost 2 weeks ago) and I hope I don't. I've been very, VERY cautious with it.

I'm glad you got away with little damage!

Ouch, sorry to hear that but I'm glad that nothing serious happened.

That's one thing I have to say in favor of a Goldwing. Although they are heavy (around 900#), they have protection so that a simple slow drop causes no damage. BTDT.

Of course, the FJR is a lot easier to handle. :)

Ken

Ouch. I never move my bikes with the side stand down. I can just see me catching my leg on it, tripping and bringing the bike down on top of me. Sounds stupid but it's something I would do...but at least I'd sacrifice my legs to save the bike!

Also, after a few near incidents with other bikes I have a habit of giving that kickstand a tap right before I lean the bike over onto it. Every time. Just to make sure it's where it's supposed to be. Nothing like moving it and having it catch and move back a few inches and you don't realize it. Set it down and "Why's the bike moving forwa...OH CRAP! HERNIA!"

After losing mine away from me in the driveway pushing it of the center stand while not on it I always move it around while straddling it. Even that can be challenging sometimes, but less risky. Fortuneately I didn't have the bags on at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
After losing mine away from me in the driveway pushing it of the center stand while not on it I always move it around while straddling it. Even that can be challenging sometimes, but less risky. Fortuneately I didn't have the bags on at the time.
Sigh...if only the legs were long enough to do this. :D

Den,

I think we all have some kind of similar stories. I was working on my V-Strom and while pushing on some of the plastic fairing to get it in I pushed right over. In some ways getting those first few scratches makes me relax a bit. Then again I am not a perfectionist and life gives us some lumps. Be very thankful you didn't hurt yourself or have the bike fall on you. Sounds like you are okay to just get back on and enjoy yourself!

WRich

That hurts. Glad there wasn't much for "Wounds"

Coming from a garage queen cruiser owner, I can say my best move (To date) was buying

an FJR that was preowned and "Prescratched" They say the first cut is the deepest, and after

that- there is nothing left to do but ride the wheels off it! Once you get the initial scars, you

can forget about the looks and enjoy the ride...

IMO- The FJR seems to run BETTER with scars!

Den,

I think we all have some kind of similar stories. I was working on my V-Strom and while pushing on some of the plastic fairing to get it in I pushed right over. In some ways getting those first few scratches makes me relax a bit. Then again I am not a perfectionist and life gives us some lumps. Be very thankful you didn't hurt yourself or have the bike fall on you. Sounds like you are okay to just get back on and enjoy yourself!

WRich
Yup. I must've tipped over my 'Strom 1000 4 or 5 times in two years of ownership. What a top-heavy pig that thing was. The FJR is easy by comparison, even though it's heavier.

While ridding this weekend and pulling out of a rest area I was coming to a stop to wait for a car. My friend was looking toward the traffic and accidentally ran into my left case, breaking it off the bike and sending it flying. The impact knocked me over and scratched by right bag and mirror. No one hurt, but my pride as the bike is only 3 weeks only.

Live and learn, and head to the shop to purchase new products

Also, if anyone has ever seen the survival bracelets (wounded warrior) it's designed to unwindnduring an emergency. I needed cord to tie the left saddlebag to the bike. Check it out very useful when needed

It happens to the best of us, BTW even when the kick stand looks like it's down check that it's all the way forward and locked before you set it down, otherwise it may roll forward and the kickstand will retract back up.

If it makes you feel better, I did mine on the way home from picking it up new from the dealer (5 miles on the odo). It had been raining lightly, I stopped at a stop sign, put both feet down carefully. My left foot slipped out a few inches, and felt her lean just a smidge too far. ALMOST caught it, set her down gently on the left side, scratching the mirror & fairing slightly. Painful, but allowed me to relax since the perfection of newness is history. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't owned this bike long enough to make the determination yet as to if it has any feelings, or not.

I am thinking that if I give it a good wax & polish, then hopefully it will forgive me for my blunder!

Den,

WRich
Yup. I must've tipped over my 'Strom 1000 4 or 5 times in two years of ownership. What a top-heavy pig that thing was. The FJR is easy by comparison, even though it's heavier.
That's a first! a 1K V Strom owner calling the bike a top heavy pig! All the 1K owners over on Stromtroopers will argue how there is really no difference between the 1K and the 650 in the dirt handling dept..

I can say the WeeStrom is much easier to pick back up than the FJR. I did get the FJR up rather quickly and didn't think anything about it when compared to the embarrassment of dropping at work in the parking lot.

Worse than your kickstand story. I was debating on sidestand or centerstand due to heavy wind gusts, and ultimately choice neither and began day dreaming.

I can tell you the FJR's weight is too much for one leg (knee) to catch and stop once gravity does it's thing.

It hurt, and I limped for days...

I am sorry, I know how aggravating it is too scratch up such a great bike and its all your fault. You can't even yell at anyone over it to make yourself feel better. Take this opportunity to spend even more $$ and buy yourself some frame sliders and possibly some rear tipover bars. I just did this to Dad's FJR and the install is ridiculously easy and for around $200 you have protectected lots of expensive plastic and paint. BTW if you had bought the Honda ST, those horribly ugly black plastic tipover wings in the fairing would have stopped the bike. At most you would now have about $17 worth of plastic to replace, and the bike is not that hard to lift because it doesn't get down as far.

If it makes you feel better, I did mine on the way home from picking it up new from the dealer (5 miles on the odo). It had been raining lightly, I stopped at a stop sign, put both feet down carefully. My left foot slipped out a few inches, and felt her lean just a smidge too far. ALMOST caught it, set her down gently on the left side, scratching the mirror & fairing slightly. Painful, but allowed me to relax since the perfection of newness is history. <_<

"allowed me to relax since the perfection of newness is history"....

been there... once that first "oh shit" happens (of course you kick your own ass for 3 months afterward) but after that, you just enjoy the bike. no more worries.

Now go and knock that pig over on the other side so that the scratches are symmetrical.

Then go for a ride - you'll never notice.

And remember - chicks dig scars, man.

I feel your pain. A week into ownership the back tire spun in my gravel driveway 10 feet from my parking spot. Threw me off and hit the ground. I was sick to see the damage but I can't see it when I'm riding so I can live with it. :D

You say chicks dig scars, do guys dig them on a ladies bike? :blink: :p